Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Another thing truckers do that drives me nuts is the drag racing mergers.
I see a semi on the entrance ramp and get in the left lane so he can enter the freeway. Then it's like he is at the drag strip and he accelerates as fast as he can up to my speed.
So now we are withing 1-2 mph and I'm stuck in the left lane either very slowly passing him or he is very slowly passing me and everyone behind me is pissed.
It would be nice if they would let me quickly pass him so I can get back over in the left lane.

ROW is strict. In the governed trucks I drive I’ve gotten to where I rarely move left due to this reason.

Same for when in the pickup.

It was only ever a courtesy.

And it’s fun when the idiot cars come down the ramp in too tight sequence. The [moderator edit] can’t deal with it. What’s in the mirror requires actions based on abstract reasoning of which they aren’t capable.

I don’t know how many times I’ve been passing someone a lane over and the fool in the outside lane suddenly jumps in front of me to “allow”’someone else to enter. Cut off my braking distance and sight lines.

Same for with stopped emergency vehicles, etc. The option of slowing 15-mph isn’t acceptable to these children.

Get a dash camera if you don’t have one.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
ROW is strict. In the governed trucks I drive I’ve gotten to where I rarely move left due to this reason.

Same for when in the pickup.

It was only ever a courtesy.

And it’s fun when the idiot cars come down the ramp in too tight sequence. The Third Worlders can’t deal with it. What’s in the mirror requires actions based on abstract reasoning of which they aren’t capable.

I don’t know how many times I’ve been passing someone a lane over and the fool in the outside lane suddenly jumps in front of me to “allow”’someone else to enter. Cut off my braking distance and sight lines.

Same for with stopped emergency vehicles, etc. The option of slowing 15-mph isn’t acceptable to these children.

Get a dash camera if you don’t have one.
Great point on dash cam...got one...FALCON ZERO...works great!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ View Post
< Another peave, car comes down ramp at a speed substantially less than a safe merge speed >

Talking or texting on the phone probably.. LOL..

Griz
May be Texas native...they are famous for stopping at the merger point instead of speeding up and merging into the space created...I know, tarred with a wide brush.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
May be Texas native...they are famous for stopping at the merger point instead of speeding up and merging into the space created...I know, tarred with a wide brush.
LOL, Texas natives usually know how to drive! Its all the transplants that thought Dallas/Houston/Austin would be cool to live in that can't drive for ****.

I grew up riding/driving long straight two-lane roads where the guy in front of you would hop onto the shoulder to let you by. The practice may be discouraged these days but if you get out to the more rural areas you'll see courtesy isn't dead...yet.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
LOL, Texas natives usually know how to drive! Its all the transplants that thought Dallas/Houston/Austin would be cool to live in that can't drive for ****.

I grew up riding/driving long straight two-lane roads where the guy in front of you would hop onto the shoulder to let you by. The practice may be discouraged these days but if you get out to the more rural areas you'll see courtesy isn't dead...yet.
That works great, if there is a shoulder. Most two lanes have a narrow shoulder at best and it is quite often soft gravel. Unless were are talking about a ag tractor pulling a wagon, I would prefer a vehicle stay in the travel lane and not throw gravel up at me or go into a skid and lose control by going onto a soft shoulder, even risking over correcting and doing a full gainer head on into an oncoming vehicle. Now you know why the practice is discouraged.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:08 AM   #48

Texas highways are the best in the nation. Big trucks are not restricted except by specific signage.

All US, and almost all state highways are built to accommodate truck traffic on the shoulder.

The practice of driving on the shoulder isn’t strictly legal, but it’ll get one or two around you if you make it easier.

The law IS specific that the slower vehicle MUST pull off when a crowd has formed behind.

Which I’m quite happy to ignore when at the upper limit. The standard for speed is met.

When not, I MIGHT move over, but it’ll depend on a host of conditions. And only when empty. (Tanker).

In that case I’ll be on the lookout where I can completely exit the road. Room to spare.

Rambo rock hauler will get his boss called and a call to the sheriff if he rides me too close. And then I’ll call him out on the CB.

Which I was told was a better solution than my previous way of easing a .357 Smith out the window.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #49

Approaching Cincinnati from the south on I-75, there are multiple signs with a dotted line indicating a car cutting off a vehicle when passing; with the text something like "Leave room, don't get a ticket". Very nice, but hardly anyone pays attention .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
..... I guess that would explain why in some states its illegal to cut in front of a big rig too soon after passing.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
That works great, if there is a shoulder. Most two lanes have a narrow shoulder at best and it is quite often soft gravel. Unless were are talking about a ag tractor pulling a wagon, I would prefer a vehicle stay in the travel lane and not throw gravel up at me or go into a skid and lose control by going onto a soft shoulder, even risking over correcting and doing a full gainer head on into an oncoming vehicle. Now you know why the practice is discouraged.
Those shoulders took it just fine all my life, and they were wide enough too! You actually still see the practice out in Northwest Texas. Take a ride sometime between Dumas and Dalhart...great, two-lane, wide-shouldered roads.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #51

I believe it's illegal to drive on the shoulder. In fact a driver is not suppose to cross over the solid white fog line, except for turning or stopping. I see people driving the shoulder in Texas often, but it dosen't make it right. Shoulders are only designed for emergency stopping!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I believe it's illegal to drive on the shoulder. In fact a driver is not suppose to cross over the solid white fog line, except for turning or stopping. I see people driving the shoulder in Texas often, but it dosen't make it right. Shoulders are only designed for emergency stopping!
Speeding is illegal too. I see people doing it all the time, but it doesn't make it right.

Seriously though, we aren't jumping over there just willy nilly. On good road, with good visibility, when the shoulder is clean of debris and there are no obstacles in the way, we get over there and let people get around without needing to cross into oncoming traffic. It is a long running practice here in Texas, or at least a lot of Texas, that is declining. Its not any less safe than them repainting the road to have two lanes each direction with no shoulder. So give me a break!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I did a lot of OTR in another lifetime and I still today have no problem using the shoulder if the need arises. Texas, you got a problem with a migration of people who have screwed up their states with "open" immigration, high cost of living and pandering to the homeless and thinking Texas will be better. Well, they are right, Texas is better but they are, or will be bringing their social problems with them. I am a California Native until 30 Y/O, then 37 year Oregonian but rather than moving to Texas, I chose Oklahoma, seems not as many people want to move here, that's a good thing. We here refer Texas as Baja Oklahoma. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
We here refer Texas as Baja Oklahoma. Jim E. OKC
How funny. Here in Houston we consider Oklahoma a Texas Hobby Farm.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Another thing truckers do that drives me nuts is the drag racing mergers.
I see a semi on the entrance ramp and get in the left lane so he can enter the freeway. Then it's like he is at the drag strip and he accelerates as fast as he can up to my speed.
So now we are withing 1-2 mph and I'm stuck in the left lane either very slowly passing him or he is very slowly passing me and everyone behind me is pissed.
It would be nice if they would let me quickly pass him so I can get back over in the left lane.

That is easy to resolve by yourself. Push the darn accelerator! There is no excuse for you to sit in the left lane blocking traffic. Pass or get off of the pot.

People that sit in the left lane with their cruise on doing 1 mph faster than the right lane should be bulldozed off the road.

</roadrage> [emoji846]
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
That is easy to resolve by yourself. Push the darn accelerator! There is no excuse for you to sit in the left lane blocking traffic. Pass or get off of the pot.

People that sit in the left lane with their cruise on doing 1 mph faster than the right lane should be bulldozed off the road.

]
If I get forced into the left lane I will not speed up or slow down, I'm not there by choice and I'll get back over when an opportunity arises. Get over it!
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote