Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #15

We had a tranny cooler on our old tow vehicle. But this trip I mapped to avoid grades. There is one but it is mild and very short. Some of the county road in IN get hilly and squirrelly but the interstates are good.
Now if we were talking about w . Virginia then yes, id have a short lived transmission and life for that matter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
OK, good luck.....

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #17

Thanks. Everyone replies help a great deal. Im going to see if i can get at least a thicker rear sway bar on the TV. Might upgrade the TV tires to get some better compound.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been towing RVs since 1982 and I do not feel that you will like towing that much trailer with that little tow vehicle.

YOu will be over the rated limits for sure. Look for a smaller trailer or a larger tow vehicle.

Ken
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You seem to know what you're going to do. Theory will meet reality soon so please report back so we know if knew what you were doing. : On your way out of town - stop by Loves or Flying J and weigh TV and TT. Then adjust tire pressure accordingly assuming they can take that much air. Who knows - your theoretical weights may come close to actual. But the scales won't lie.

Also - start saving now for a tow vehicle. Whether you take one trip a year or 10 - running near or above weight is like boxing out of your class. JMHO
Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
You owned a suby that transmissions were weak? Was it a newer model or older?

I'd honestly be surprised if couple hundred pounds towed over a couple hundred miles would really toast my transmission.

Maybe if it was a late model that hadn't been services at a dealership. Or IF I was trying to get up Look-Out mtn with it.

Given the variables I presented, my enemey will be wind resistance, and keeping a good solid connection with the road.
I did, had a 98 forester and i'm pretty sure yours uses the same 4EAT transmission. Mine had problems shifting into 2nd, and i never towed with that one.

And yea, i would check the load rating on your tires. You might be going over. Tow ratings are based on the weakest component on the system. Problem is, manufacturers never tell you the limiting factor.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I can not advise you to tow so much as 1 ounce over the max combined vehicle rating of your tow vehicle.

However I have to believe there is some "Wiggle Room" in those ratings and 100 pounds amounts to what. Less than 1 percent.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #22

He can go over his "tow rating" or "max combined vehicle weight" all he wants without breaking laws or anyones safety although he may overheat or not make it up any hills, who knows. His "Gross vehicle weight rating" and "axles weights" is what nobody should ever exceed even by a little bit because that includes components on his car like tires, wheel bearings, ball joints, breaks etc that will not function correctly when overloaded and he can get in big trouble if he is caught doing so.
If he can keep his tounge weight low enough so it doesnt overload the weight of his car then i say go for it and see how it feels. Everyone just like to talk tow ratings like its the determining factor but its not, its payload! want more towing power, add a turbo. want more payload, buy another vehicle.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
You owned a suby that transmissions were weak? Was it a newer model or older?

I'd honestly be surprised if couple hundred pounds towed over a couple hundred miles would really toast my transmission.

Maybe if it was a late model that hadn't been services at a dealership. Or IF I was trying to get up Look-Out mtn with it.

Given the variables I presented, my enemey will be wind resistance, and keeping a good solid connection with the road.
We had a 2008 Outback LLBean. It was showing signs of trans failure when we traded it in April for the Chevy Cruze. (Can't flat tow a Suby behind my Coach so we traded for a stick shift Cruze).

We never towed with ours, it was a grocery hauler / Nanny car. Who knows... maybe she was doing all wheel drive burnouts with it in the children's musuem parking lot!? . It had 90k on it when we traded it.

Mal
Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I have been towing RVs since 1982 and I do not feel that you will like towing that much trailer with that little tow vehicle.

YOu will be over the rated limits for sure. Look for a smaller trailer or a larger tow vehicle.

Ken
Vehicle are changing a lot. Getting more power out of smaller engines. Using different metal composites that are stronger and lighter. Just in five years much have changed. There is almost a tow basis, because for decades you can only tow if you had big vehicle. Just not the case anymore. I think many don't trust the changes. It doesn't sound right for 4 and 6 bangers to be towing.

One thing is certain. I just bought the tt so im not getting rid of it. I plan on living in it this winter to stay close to work.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004

Vehicle are changing a lot. Getting more power out of smaller engines. Using different metal composites that are stronger and lighter. Just in five years much have changed. There is almost a tow basis, because for decades you can only tow if you had big vehicle. Just not the case anymore. I think many don't trust the changes. It doesn't sound right for 4 and 6 bangers to be towing.

One thing is certain. I just bought the tt so im not getting rid of it. I plan on living in it this winter to stay close to work.
In Indiana? Just curious...
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post

I did, had a 98 forester and i'm pretty sure yours uses the same 4EAT transmission.
I'm pretty sure they have changed transmission since 98. Theyve changed them between 2012 and 2013.

Not to say my 12 any better or worse. Guess ill find out.

Keep the fluid changed so i can keep an eye on it.

No car is bullet proof, but if you put the time in to take care of them, you can usually make him last.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, I can not advise you to tow so much as 1 ounce over the max combined vehicle rating of your tow vehicle.

However I have to believe there is some "Wiggle Room" in those ratings and 100 pounds amounts to what. Less than 1 percent.
This is my thoughts exactly. I don't like it, but im not that far off. And it didn't drive as bad on the way home as ppl might think.

I figured we buy what we want and upgrade the TV when we're ready to take the grandbabies to Disney.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

In Indiana? Just curious...
Yes. Work south tip just across KY line.

Tags
weight