Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
Now the good information I have got from this thread is:
  • It won't hurt to upgrade my rear suspension to be a little stiffer.
  • I need to make sure my tire pressure is at max.
  • interstate and trucks can be dangerous, two lane maybe a better choice.
With all respect, there is far more valuable information than you've shown that's been shared in this thread. Perhaps you'll come to see the value of this additional information after you've towed for a few trips. I sincerely hope so.

Many of us have paid (literally and figuratively) for our educations when it comes to towing RVs. You're getting this information for free - that's quite a bargain....

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #44
Really i think the OP came on here for justification in his decision to tow overweight. This thread is not about towing safely, but more like what can i get away with.

You can get away with towing overweight, but i personally wouldn't do it with my family in the vehicle. You're better safe than sorry.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #45
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
But I feel like this thread got off topic.

I'm sorry, I thought the topic was towing overweight. Guess it should have been sub titled "I am going to tow over weight and I want everyone to bless that decision."

My opinion is that it is not a good idea to tow even at the Max Tow Rating. Have you had them on scales?

Again, just my $0.02. Guess that makes $0.04 now!

No, I wasn't looking for the cardinal's blessing. Really, I just wanted those that have, and there are some out there, to give me some advise. That's it.

For those that didn't like my car, that fine, makes little difference. For those that never like to tow even close to there max, that's their right to an opinion as well, and I can respect that. But, these weren't things I was looking for.

I thought this would a short thread with a few honest people to say, yep, I'd admit, I ran over. This is what I wished I'd done different....
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let's be honest fellas - We would have had all this figured out before we bought a TT and absent that been to the scales before now. In truth there is no good way to drive over weight and not much if anything will correct it. We have said our peace and it has been heard. Let's just let it go and start thinking how we will answer when he comes back asking how to stay warn this winter while living in it on the southern Indiana / Kentucky border. (Although I'm sure it's warmer there than we know.) :

OP - Seriously - best of luck and be very careful. You did right to ask and it's always up to the individual as to what advice or risk to take. Nobody - myself included wishes you any ill will. Most if not all of us have been around the block many times and have learned some things the hard way. Hopefully you will not get the hard knocks education.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #47
OK, here's my confession:

"Bless me father, for I have sinned! I tow over weight! I have a 2000 six banger Silverado with a tow rating of under 4,000 pounds. I bought an old 3/4 ton pickup bed trailer and loaded it with two 275 gallon water totes and make a 15 mile round trip to haul water, about once a week on average. The water weights in at 4,400 pounds and I would guess the trailer and totes would weight at a few hundred pounds, plus the weight of the frame mounted hitch that I added. I have never been stopped by the weight police since I started doing this three years ago."

What have I learned? Don't over inflate your tires for a heavy load. It will cause tread separation.

I figure the frame, engine, and transmission can handle the short trips, but... I don't drive over 45 MPH because I don't have trailer brakes and don't want to get pushed around in non controlled stop. Over weight can do that! Trip is on six miles of county road (the last mile was gravel until this summer) and one mile of state and.)

'01 National RV Tropi-Cal, Ford V10, '01 Suzuki GV 4X4 Blue Ox Tow Bar,300 Watts Solar, 2500 Watt '458' Inverter, NO TVs, Most light fixtures upgraded to LEDs

Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #48
I have towed 17' runabout boats for 25 years (1980 thru 2005) that weigh (boat, motor, trailer, gear, camping stuff) around 2,500 to 2,800 lbs. with V8 powered cars rated to tow just 2,000 lbs. I would add a tranny cooler and sometimes rear springs and go. I towed aporox. 50,000 miles with a Mercury Cougar XR7, then a Lexus LS 400 for 20 of those years. 10 years on each car. 5 years towing with various other cars that were not as good as the 2 cars mentioned.

Boats are easy to tow than campers. I never felt the semi-trucks wind vortex when towing boats. But campers - you get sucked in at 1st and as the semi passes you get pushed away. It is really going to be two hand driving.

Now I tow with Trucks. What a world of difference. A truck is built to tow. Cars - not so much. But cars can tow if that is all you have. But be very careful.

I think you have identified the main take-aways from this thread. Add two hands on the wheel, focus and anticipate.

Good luck.

Closed Thread