Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Blue Ox Bed Saver

I just finished the installation of a "Bed Saver" on my B&W 3600 companion and thought I would share my experience. Recognizing that at times I have a tendency to be easily distracted, I thought this would be cheap insurance in the event that I'm daydreaming while unhooking my trailer.

The first thing that alarmed me was while reading the installation instructions. I know, I know-I'll turn in my man card first thing Monday. Anyway, three or four steps down the manufacturer tells us that this product is only rated to 4,000 pounds of pin weight, and I will have a super bad day if I first screw up and actually use this thing, but then it fails and screws up my bed and trailer anyway. Well that 4000 pound rating certainly won't work on a 41' DRV (with five slides. Just sayin... Winky face) so I called Blue Ox and talked with one of their technical support employees, who spoke to the guy next to him, who then contacted someone with an answer. I was reassured that the model ordered for the companion is rated for the same pin weight of the hitch-6,250 pounds. I wasn't exactly filled with confidence, especially when I continued reading the instructions and despite the claim of "no-drill installation," drilling 1/2" (17/32" per their instructions. 1/2" wasn't an issue, if you're curious) holes was required.

I hmmed and hawed about this for a bit, and eventually decided to just do it recognizing that the warranty associated with the legs connecting the head of the hitch to the base would be sacrificed. I'm confident those items are not expensive, especially when compared to a damaged bed and fiver. I've seen a few beds crunched on trucks at our campground, people trying to unhook their fiver without the front legs down is more common than I thought it would be. Heck one of the delivery drivers at our dealership dropped a DRV on his truck. Whoops!

Installation wasn't difficult. If you can drill four holes into some thick metal you'll be fine. In hindsight I may have benefitted from buying some tapping fluid or unpacked the stuff I already had in the storage unit, but at the time I didn't feel it would be worth it for four holes and didn't want a big mess all over the bed.

The bed saver takes up less room than I thought it would, and I'm sure having the hitch head situated as far forward as possible does help a bit.

At this point, I suppose there is nothing more to say. Hopefully I will never be unfortunate/absent-minded enough to experience using this device, but if I do I will definitely report back.

If you're curious about the cover, it is a Bakflip F1. Really like that thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439171861.583744.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	102694Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439171990.703525.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	102696

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439171933.233088.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	102695  
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

blue ox