Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Blue Ox Sway Pro

I picked up our new travel trailer in early July. I had the dealer install the BlueOx Sway Pro WD hitch. I had watched the install video redundantly before arriving at the dealer. I paid their service department to install the hitch. I questioned their setting the number of links at seven? They insisted that's the way they do it! On the fifth day of my 2600 mile trip the trailer was feeling a bit squirrelly. When I arrived home that day I called Blue Ox and they insisted that if should never have been set at seven links. They might set it 10 but they have found no reason for setting it at seven.

Has any Blue Ox users improvised on the factory recommended settings?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

Mine was always either 7 or 8 links. There wasn't any way that I was going to be able to get 10 links with my setup. I don't think the electric tongue jack I had would have been strong enough that to lift my truck and trailer to get 9 links! I can't remember which side it was, but the way the coupler rotated always made it a constant pain to do one side. I could definitely tell the difference between 7 and 8.

Personally, is never buy that hitch again. My previous hitch was a Equalizer and was better IMHO.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Mine is set at 9 like lol links (3 showing) and works great. I set mine up myself.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

I set my old style on the second link. Without a level surface and a tape measure, how can you tell?
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #5

I followed the set up instructions and videos to the letter on a level surface, using a level and tape measure and our rig toes and handles great.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

I'm thinking about getting this hitch.I've watched the video many times.
Bit I'm open to all options.
kb3ejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb3ejw View Post
I'm thinking about getting this hitch.I've watched the video many times.
Bit I'm open to all options.
There are four brands of WD hitches that are the high end of the reasonably-priced category. Any one of those four bands, when properly sized and set up and adjusted, is just as good as any of the others. These four brands all list for about $1,000 complete with adjustable shank and spring bars, and can be purchased for about $500 to $700 from discount internet sources such as eTrailer.com or Amazon.com. Those four are:

Blue Ox discussed in this thread.

Equal-I-Zer

Reese Strait-Line

Husky CenterLine HD = the original CenterLine #31390, not the less-expensive TS

Reese and Husky both also make cheaper and less-effective WD hitches, so if you buy a Reese or Husky, then be sure it is a Reese Strait-Line or Husky CenterLine HD #31390.

There are other very-expensive WD hitches that are slightly better than any one of those four, but they cost 3 or 4 times as much. The original Hensley Arrow and the newer Hensley ProPride both cost more than $2,000, and are not available from discount retailers. The PullRite WD hitch is a good one with a completely different design that fits onto the tow vehicle instead of the trailer tongue.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

I bought a Blue Ox Sway Pro and wasn't terribly happy with the pull ups that came with it. A couple of month later, I discovered a product called StrapTek and bought them to replace the B.O. pull ups. I have been using them now and would NEVER go back to the original pull ups that came with the B.O. It obviously adds some cost to the WDH setup, but the convenience and safety of using them far outweigh the cost for me.

Google StrapTek and take a peak if you are interested. I am in no way a vendor or associated with Strap Tek, just a happy customer.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #9

SmokeyWren,tks for the info.
xrated,I will check them out.
kb3ejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We had a problem with sway using a Blue Ox and found they have two models that most people do not know about... Standard and Underslung. Underslung is where the trailer hitch mount is on the bottom side the the trailer frame. If using the wrong one as we were, we could only get to the 6th or 7th link in the chain.
Blue Ox support helped us determine our need and our dealer swapped the head out for the correct one.
Now we are able to use the 9th link and that made a big difference. We love the SwayPro now and highly recommend it.
NicknTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I bought a Blue Ox Sway Pro and wasn't terribly happy with the pull ups that came with it. A couple of month later, I discovered a product called StrapTek and bought them to replace the B.O. pull ups. I have been using them now and would NEVER go back to the original pull ups that came with the B.O. It obviously adds some cost to the WDH setup, but the convenience and safety of using them far outweigh the cost for me.

Google StrapTek and take a peak if you are interested. I am in no way a vendor or associated with Strap Tek, just a happy customer.

Strap tek looks like it would be easier to deal with but not as sturdy. I had read some reviews on the Amazon site. They seemed to be somewhat mixed. Then I went to E trailer and found that they no longer carry it. I attempted to call eTrailer to ask if there was an issue with these, but could not get a timely answer of the phone. I'll try them another time I would like to know if anybody else has tried this product?
Old 08-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

I'll follow up on this. The StrapTek straps are rated at 3300 lbs each. So on my setup, with a 1500 lb spring bars (that's 750 lbs each) in my opinion there is more than enough "over capacity" with a pair of 3300lb straps. The only down side that I will state is that of course the cost of them is additional to the cost of the Blue Ox hitch system.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I'll follow up on this. The StrapTek straps are rated at 3300 lbs each. So on my setup, with a 1500 lb spring bars (that's 750 lbs each) in my opinion there is more than enough "over capacity" with a pair of 3300lb straps. The only down side that I will state is that of course the cost of them is additional to the cost of the Blue Ox hitch system.
The Blue Ox when combined with this trailer seems a little more difficult because the frame is so much higher off the ground. So the StrapTek would be a bit safer during installation. The chains however would be perceived as being sturdier.

What about the degradation of the webbing from exposure to the elements, especially from the sun over a period of time? Have you done anything to help preserve the straps?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #14

I also use the StrapTek system with the SwayPro and I like it. I had used the StrapTek system before I purchased the SwayPro, so since I already had them, I used them. It makes it much easier to hook up and to remove the WD bars. I can not notice any difference from using the chains vs. straps for sway control or ride. As for durability in the sun and other factors, I have seen no issues. But the only time my bars with the straps are in the weather elements are when I pull, so maybe a few weekends every few months. Otherwise they are stored in shade in the storage compartment.
jconverse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox