Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Blue Ox Swaypro or Equal-I-zer?

Okay, just upgraded from a 23' overall to a new Keystone Bullet 269RLS, 31' overall, GVW of 7500 lbs. I pull it with a 2013 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow and 3.73 rear. I currently am using a EAZ Lift WDH and a friction sway bar. I don't really have any problems with the current setup working, but I would like something with built in sway control instead of messing with the friction bar. I can't decide which is best, the Blue Ox Swaypro or the Equal-I-zer. What are your thoughts folks who use them? Thanks for your input.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

From my research, when we upgraded our hitch, definitely the Sway Pro !
Here is what we went with, and love it, a copy of the Equalizer, at a much lower price, a fairly new hitch, made buy Husky. True, if we had the jingle the Blue Ox, It's a great hitch ! We love the Husky Centerline TS , Amazon $399. would buy it again !!!

And no ! don't sell them of work for um !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2002.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	123887  
Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #3

I like the Blue Ox Sway Pro.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

I used the Equilizer... I had very good luck with it. In fact, since I just sold my TT, my equilizer hitch is for sale, PM me if your interested.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
I can't decide which is best, the Blue Ox Swaypro or the Equal-I-zer.
Those two, along with the Reese Strait-Line, are different but equal in function and performance. You can't go wrong with either one.

The older model of the Husky CenterLine was ranked right up there with those three, and it cost about the same. The new Husky CenterLine TS is less expensive and too new to have a good track record yet.
Husky Center Line TS | Husky Towing

Curt also makes the TruTrac WD hitch that costs right up there with the other good WD hitches. I've not heard anything about the TruTrack until recently, so I'd wait awhile until they establish a track record as being in the same class as the Strait-Line, SwayPro and Equal-I-Zer.
CURT Manufacturing - CURT TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System #17500
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

I assume they are all as noisy as my Equal-I-Zer. Friction=noise.

If they offer the add-on noise reduction pads, use them. WELL worth the extra $12-15.

Even before I added the pads, the ride was great. But sometimes on hard slow turns, like in gas station parking lot, it would pop and snap and groan. Sometimes pop so loud I thought I had broken something. Now, with the pads, I only get an occasional pop and not nearly as loud, and none of the groaning.

Funny anecdote...the day we bought the trailer, as we drove it out of the lot, it popped, so I stopped, jumped out, inspected everything, and then called the dealer's maintenance guy, who installed the unit, and he said "yeah, they are kinda noisy, and it is normal, and will quiet up a little with use, but there will always be some noise."
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

Weight distribution/anti sway

Anyone using the Andersen? I've read good reviews, I'm in the market, and this one looks good. I've had the equalizer, and it's a bear to put on and take off! The hitch alone weighs like 40 lbs. As an older person, I'm looking to make things easier, not harder!

Any thoughts?
hillbillyhtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #8

Love the Anderson, almost went with it. But didn't because it seams like gross TT weight over 7500 lbs if it's being pulled by anything less than 3/4 ton, there may be some less than effective weight distribution ( rise ) otherwise everyone seams to like their Andersons. It is a very nice alternative might just need a little more tweaking in design, for heavy TT pulled by 1/2 tons. Just my 2 cents.
Johnnyb5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I assume they are all as noisy as my Equal-I-Zer. Friction=noise. "
The Blue Ox is quiet, clean, simple, and effective.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
The Blue Ox is quiet, clean, simple, and effective.
My pick when the time comes.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:14 AM   #11

I have the Blue Ox, haven't used anything else so nothing to compare to. But as said above, it is simple, clean, quiet, and controls my 30' TT on my 1/2 ton truck like a champ.
CoachCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #12

Just to toss this in here, without starting a new thread, I have heard that some of these sway control setups are NOT to be used while backing up.

Do any of these we are talking about fall into that category?

If so, what is it about the system that makes backing up a No-No?

I couldn't imagine camping without backing up at some point. Even with a huge class A...
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Just to toss this in here, without starting a new thread, I have heard that some of these sway control setups are NOT to be used while backing up.

Do any of these we are talking about fall into that category?

If so, what is it about the system that makes backing up a No-No?
Cheap WD hitches use sway bars for sway control. If you back up a trailer without disconnecting the sway bars, then when you inadvertently go into too much of a jackknife, you can bend the trailer tongue and maybe even the receiver hitch, as well as ruining the sway bar.

So my Rule Number One is to not buy a cheap hitch that uses sway bars. Spend a bit more and get a higher-quality, better designed WD hitch that has built-in sway control.

Reese, Curt and Husky all sell cheap WD hitches that use sway bars. Don't buy one of those. If you want one of those brands, then be sure it is a Reese Strait-Line, Husky Centerline or Curt TruTrack. Or better yet, buy a brand that does not sell cheap hitches: Blue Ox or Equal-I-Zer. Best of all, but a bit pricy, is the ProPride. Then back the trailer all you want to without have to disconnect anything.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #14

No problem backing up with the Blue Ox.

Tags
blue ox