Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

"Legislation regarding GCVW" (for private, recreational trailers) and in 48 of 49 States plus Canada? I and perhaps others would be most interested in/grateful for some references/links in support of this surprising assertion.

Search though I have, I've never been able to find even one State/Province that has any such legislation at all specifically referring to "manufacturer's ratings" etc...?

Thanks!
I did the initial research in 2005 and cannot find the web page with the summary. Here is an excerpt from Montana 64-10-154.

(1) As used in this section, the terms "for-hire motor carrier", "private motor carrier", "gross vehicle weight rating", and "gross combination weight rating" have the same meaning as provided in 49 CFR 390.5.(2) The department of transportation shall adopt, by rule, standards for safety of operations of:(a) any for-hire motor carrier or any private motor carrier; - See more at: MONT CODE ANN ยง 61-10-154 : Montana Code - Section 61-10-154: Department of transportation to adopt motor carrier safety standards -- enforcement -- designation of peace officers -- duties -- violations

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry I am confused :(

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #17

I think this is all for nothing. The OP clearly doesn't want a big 3 truck. He has his mind set on a Toyota. He'll soon realize after he gets one that while it may have the 10,500 tow rating it will be severely limited on payload.
He'll be back asking what he can do to increase the payload. Seen this song and dance way too many times.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #18

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
JIMO I don't think the Op's weight will be anywhere near 10,000lbs. My ST29SS had a listed dry weight of 6300lbs, a delivered actual weight of 6850lbs, and a loaded travel weight of 7600lbs. Maybe I travel a lot lighter than most people and I do only carry about 5 gallons of water but I can't see taking anything else with me. My Tundra is a pleasure to drive and handles the load easily.
But, he stated that the trailer he's already purchased has a GVWR of 9790, that sounds pretty close to 10K. Granted he can be very careful with his loading to keep the weight down, but a 34 foot trailer is a lot to pull with any half ton.

Like Smokey said, you can special order an F-150 that will get the deal done. I did some price comparisons when we started shopping, and discovered that a standard F-250 is just a few hundreds of dollars more than a loaded up 150. With a much better payload and towing capacity.

For comparisons, I spec'd a crew cab, 4x2, short bed, XLT package in both the 150 and 250. The options on the 150 cost a bundle extra to get that tow capacity. Don't have the exact figures at hand...but the price difference was on the order of 700 bucks.

I have nothing against Toyota, our '07 Avalon Touring model is one of the best cars we've ever owned. If they made a 3/4 ton truck I'd consider it, even though the trailer we intend to get is much smaller than the OP's beautiful new rig.

Different strokes...etc, etc.

Cheers!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Tundras are fine trucks and can tow pretty well (hey they can tow a space shuttle...). I looked at them very seriously when shopping for a truck because we have a V8 4Runner that is one of the best vehicles we have ever had (and I'm talking a few dozen here). But I went with the 2012 Ram CTD. With 18k miles so far it has been almost flawless - and I'm saying this coming from an Acura TL as a daily driver!

I absolutely love how this truck will tow my jeep (on a car hauler) up a 6% grade and not even downshift out of 6th!...

If I was going to tow almost 10k lbs I would want a HD truck unless I was going to be doing mostly flatland towing. In a HD truck, a gas engine is still possible and maintenance will be cheaper on a gas engine.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #20

I have no idea but I want to commend the OP for putting things in the right order. He got the RV that fits his life style first and now is looking for the proper tow vehicle. I've seen a lot of posts where they got a truck first and then had a great deal of trouble finding an RV that they liked and still could be towed by the new truck they just bought.
So.. To the OP. Good job, your doing the research and I am sure you'll wind up with the perfect match.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I have no idea but I want to commend the OP for putting things in the right order. He got the RV that fits his life style first and now is looking for the proper tow vehicle. I've seen a lot of posts where they got a truck first and then had a great deal of trouble finding an RV that they liked and still could be towed by the new truck they just bought.
So.. To the OP. Good job, your doing the research and I am sure you'll wind up with the perfect match.
+1...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I can understand the reluctance to have a "big" truck to run around it for shopping or to the golf course. Height, length, width, etc makes some of the new parking lot curbing layouts quite daunting.

However driving down the road towing a 34 in a crosswind with a light truck can also be very daunting. In that case it is easy to slow down or pull over until conditions improve.

A trade up from a Tundra to a larger vehicle should the need arise will be an easy task as Tundra's are a good truck and in demand.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #23

Trading up with a Tundra will definitely be easy...but at what cost?

What's the drive off the lot depreciation on a new Tundra? How much trade-in value will it have after a few months or a year of use?

Budget has been our consideration, but with some research it occurs to us that buying the right sized truck to be comfortable and safe in the first place is much kinder to the budget...

So many choices!

Best of luck to the OP.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
I did some price comparisons when we started shopping, and discovered that a standard F-250 is just a few hundreds of dollars more than a loaded up 150. With a much better payload and towing capacity.
Today, pricing out a 2014 "plain Jane" with XL (work truck) trim, the F-150 with HD payload pkg in a SuperCrew body with a 6.5' bed, 4x2 drivetrain, requires 3.73 LS axle, EcoBoost engine, and includes the Max Tow pkg (regular tow pkg plus tow mirrors, receiver hitch and trailer brake controller), and select shift tranny. MSRP = 38,330 less $1,000 rebate = $37,330.

Comparable 2015 F-250 XL CrewCab 4x2 shorty with 6.2L gasoline engine has standard tow mirrors and receiver hitch. To make it comparable to the F-150 equipment, add the power equipment group and trailer brake controller. MSRP 37,210 (no rebate available yet).

So comparably equipped the 2014 F-150 with HD Payload Pkg costs MSRP $120 more than the 2015 F-250.

Those numbers don't apply to GM or Ram because they don't have a 1500 pickup comparable to the F-150 with HD Payload pkg (GVWR 8,200 pounds).
Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #25

The wife and I love our 2009 Tundra with tow package and mirrors. We pull an Arctic Fox that is heavy for a 24 footer. We load lightly and weigh in about 6400 lbs wet and packed. The rig pulls it very well, but that being said, I would never attempt to upsize my TT without going to at least a 3/4 ton pu. I like a margin of safety. As others have said, I'd snap up a Toy 3/4 ton in an instant if they were available. But they aren't. Get a good used 3/4, gas or diesel, in the flavor of your choice.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Today, pricing out a 2014 "plain Jane" with XL (work truck) trim, the F-150 with HD payload pkg in a SuperCrew body with a 6.5' bed, 4x2 drivetrain, requires 3.73 LS axle, EcoBoost engine, and includes the Max Tow pkg (regular tow pkg plus tow mirrors, receiver hitch and trailer brake controller), and select shift tranny. MSRP = 38,330 less $1,000 rebate = $37,330.

Comparable 2015 F-250 XL CrewCab 4x2 shorty with 6.2L gasoline engine has standard tow mirrors and receiver hitch. To make it comparable to the F-150 equipment, add the power equipment group and trailer brake controller. MSRP 37,210 (no rebate available yet).

So comparably equipped the 2014 F-150 with HD Payload Pkg costs MSRP $120 more than the 2015 F-250.

Those numbers don't apply to GM or Ram because they don't have a 1500 pickup comparable to the F-150 with HD Payload pkg (GVWR 8,200 pounds).
Yup!

We're leaning towards doing a factory order for a 250, though might do a 350 if the price diff at order time is close.

Almost all of the rigs (250 and/or 350) on dealer lots here in the Great Pacific Northwet are optioned up with a bunch of stuff I really don't want. The big ticket item is 4x4 option...my daily driver years ago was a one ton 4x4 dually wildland fire truck. I have no intent taking a trailer where I took that rig...so a 4x2 with a locking rear axle will do just fine. Initially, when I began the search, and started following this forum I had my eyes on a 1500 Sierra. (For sort of sentimental reasons...ha ha. The first fire truck I was assigned to had the radio call sign Sierra 1, thought it would be cool to have that as a license plate.) Then I looked at prices, specs, and after some education on this forum, decided a 3/4 ton was the MINIMUM...and ended up deciding that Ford had the best value considering pricing and specs.

Budget drives the decision for us (mandatory early retirement for medical reasons shrunk the nest egg), but safety while towing is priority one...

Cheers!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe that size is everything (in your tow vehicle). At the time I purchased my 5 wheel and truck I needed a GCVW to haul a combined weight of 28,000. Only one I could find was a Ford 450 unless I went to a medium duty Chevy. Opted for the Ford.

The 2005 I bought came with a redesigned front end that allows it to turn almost as short as a 1/2 ton. Taking it shopping, to the golf course, etc. is not a chore as it is very maneuverable. I generally park a bit farther from the "entrance" but the exercise is good for me.

Only down side. Rides like a 450. Should add an air ride but more money than the discomfort for the time I spend shopping and at the golf course. LOL

Since then the manufacturers have realized that RV's are growing and so are the trucks GCVW. There are lots of choices that probably have a good ride while doing 'tasks'.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
Trading up with a Tundra will definitely be easy...but at what cost?

What's the drive off the lot depreciation on a new Tundra? How much trade-in value will it have after a few months or a year of use?

Budget has been our consideration, but with some research it occurs to us that buying the right sized truck to be comfortable and safe in the first place is much kinder to the budget...

So many choices!

Best of luck to the OP.
Fully agree!