Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
We're leaning towards doing a factory order for a 250, though might do a 350 if the price diff at order time is close.
If I were ordering a 5er toter today - and could convince Darling Wife she didn't really need a Lariat or better trim, then here's what I would order:

2015 F-350 XL SRW 4x2 with
8' bed,
diesel engine,
electronic locking axle
power equipment group (power locks, power tow mirrors, power windows)
XL Value pkg (to get Cruise control and chrome bumpers)
Camper pkg (to get 3.55 axle ratio)
Aluminum wheels
Cab steps
Cloth 40/20/40 front seats
5th wheel/gooseneck prep
5th wheel hitch (Reese Elite 25k)

That’s basically an XLT but for a lot less money. If you can’t live without the power folding and power telescoping tow mirrors that are optional on XLT, then you’ll have to move up to the XLT which comes std with cruise control, power equipment group, aluminum wheels, and cloth 40/20/40 front seats, and will cost you more than “building” an XL with only the options you can’t live without.

F-350 SRW instead of F-250. The F-350 SRW can tow a lot heavier 5er without being overloaded because it has about 1,500 pounds more payload capacity for hitch weight (pin weight). The F-250 has only 10,000 pounds GVWR, and by the time you get it on the road loaded with family and tools and stuff, it will gross about 8,500 before you tie onto a 5er. That leaves only 1,500 pounds available for pin weight, which is a 5er with GVWR of less than 9,000 pounds. Identically optioned F-350 SRW has about 3,000 pounds available for pin weight, which is a 5er with GVWR of about 17,000 pounds. Price them both, identically equipped, on Ford.com and you'll see the tiny premium that extra payload capability will cost you. Today it's $895 difference in MSRP, which is about $800 in buying price. Bargain.

… 8' bed – because it’s a 5er toter, and the longer wheelbase gives a better ride. If you insist on a shorty bed, then omit the optional Reese Elite 5er hitch and instead order a PullRite SuperGlide that will plug into the Ford 5er prep holes in the bed.

… diesel engine – Ford did a good job developing this engine. The only other engine is a 6.2L gasoline V8, and I suspect you’ll regret not getting the diesel.

… electronic locking axle - I have this on my current pickup, and it’s great. Turn it on only when you need increased traction. It may not be as good a 4x4 for really deep snow or mud, but it’s a heck of a lot better than an open axle or an LS axle.

… power equipment group (power locks, power tow mirrors, power windows). My requirement. I don’t want to drive a pickup without these power assists.

… XL Value pkg (to get Cruise control and chrome bumpers) – I insist on cruise control, and prefer the dressed up look of chrome bumpers instead of painted bumpers.

… Camper pkg (to get 3.55 axle ratio). Std with diesel engine is 3.31 ratio. The camper pkg upgrades that to 3.55, which is better for dragging a heavy 5er across a mountain pass. It also includes “overload” rear springs, which helps with the pin weight of a 5er so you don’t need air bags to prevent blinding oncoming drivers at night.

… Aluminum wheels – my requirement. Standard XL painted wheels look cheap.

… Cab steps – Darling Wife is 82 and needs these to get in and out of the cab.

… Cloth 40/20/40 front seats – same as the front seats in an XLT. I hate vinyl seats which are hot in summer and cold in winter.

… 5th wheel/gooseneck prep – It’s a bargain compared to installing it after delivery.

… 5th wheel hitch (Reese Elite 25k) – Great 5er hitch for a longbed pickup. And invoice price is what you’ll pay, which is about the same as buying from a discount aftermarket hitch dealer such as etrailer.com. If you order a shorty bed, then skip this hitch. You’ll need a slider hitch, either the 18k Reese Elite slider, or the fully-automatic PullRite SuperGlide with the optional version that will plug the SuperGlide into the Ford factory 5er prep kit.

Of course, there are lots of other options available, including fancier trim for a lot more money. Study the order guide with a fine tooth comb to pick out only the options you are willing to pay for.

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #30
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks for all the detailed info Smokey...

We're aiming at a slightly different goal, so a gasser 250 probably fills the bill pretty well...but would consider the 350, found like you say, that the difference is around 800 bucks. Many of the upgrades on a XLT are sort of bare minimums for us, but no need to go to higher trim levels. Part of the frustration of shopping dealers is they have a few XLs, a couple of XLT's, then a whole parking lot of full of Lariats and King Ranch editions. We've had to put off the purchase again (extra 14.6K to the IRS two weeks ago), but when we are ready, we'll be doing a factory order to get exactly what we want...last new vehicle (truck, car, motorcycle) we'll ever buy. LOL

But, we've looked at a ton (ha ha) of trailers at RV shows for the last couple of years. We'd be happy with a TT in the 24-26' range, with one slide. No intent to go more than max about 800 miles from home, and that would only be once a year at most. Lots of nice areas to visit with 200-300 miles of where we live. Since we won't be traveling that far, or that often, can't really justify the 8K or so to have a diesel, so a gasser it will be...plenty big enough for my fair lady, her pooch, and me.

We'll be just fine with a 250 Crewcab, 4x2 e-lock, short bed, with upgrade to 18"aluminum wheels and a couple of other minor things. Budget is tight as we're about to start construction of our new home. (It's also tight because I had to take a medical disability retirement in 2000, so retirement savings aren't optimal... )

Thanks again for putting so much detail in your response!

Cheers! Bill

SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote