Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Bought trailer now which truck

We have purchased a Winnebago One 30RE, but have not taken delivery yet. I need to purchase a truck, but do not want too much truck at my age. My trailer is 34.6 overall length, dry wt 6,820, hitch wt is 780, and gvwr is 9,790 with a carry cap of 2,470. I'm leaning (well at least I like but have not looked at) the Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 v-8 and would get all of the towing pkgs that I need. I've had fords, and dodges with the diesels, but this time just don't want a diesel if I really don't need it. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions, as I plan to go and look tomorrow. Don't really want a ford, but I would if it was a good deal. Budget is the biggest factor in my decision.

Thanks

Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I took delivery of a Tundra back in Jan. for the purpose of tow my 25' RV. In 4 months I have only put 600 miles on it. This coming weekend will be the first towing the RV on about 120 mile round trip. Also got the 5.7L and knew the gas mileage was not going to be that great. This past weekend took a 60 mile round trip to visit family for Easter. Got 18.5 MPG traveling at 65 to 70 MPH, but on the return trip I cut the speed to 62 MPH and got 20.2 MPG. It is only rated at 17 hy-way. I'm hoping to get 12 when towing my 5100/5200 lbs.
RV.

I looked at the Silverado double cab and the Tundra double cab. The Tundra defiantly had more leg room in the back. If I sat in the back of the Silverado (5' 8") I had to spread my legs as to not touch the front seats. The Tundra I have 4" and the biggest issue was the Silverado's back seats are very upright. That was a deal killer to my wife.

I special ordered the Tundra to get the factory tow mirrors. They were only a $40 option. They now have 5 trim levels (SR, SR5, Limited, Platinum and 1794) With the new top of the line 1794 it bumped the SR5 down a grade and I would have had to add too many options for what I wanted. So went ahead and got the Limited with the black leather. Unless your a real clean freak, the light gray leather is hard to keep clean. I'm very impressed with the turning radius in the Tundra. It's almost as tight as the 4Runner I had before. In the Limited you do get the bed rail system with tie-downs. Came in handy a few times already to haul a drafting table and a bed full of metal scrap.

As far as pricing, I'm going to say at least here in NE. Ohio their giving Fords & Rams away. I'll see ads for 7/ 8k off list. Or 10k off Ram diesels. In the end I was very happy for the price I negotiated which included my 05' 4Runner as trade.

My brother is on his 3rd Ram also to tow an RV and every one he has sank a ton of $$$ into the driveline. The 3500 diesel he has now the front suspension has totally been rebuilt, rear end, steering box....these are all big dollar repairs.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I think you should buy whatever pleases your soul or your pocketbook - whichever comes first.

Only thing to consider in the tow unit is if it is "big" enough to tow your trailer. 48 of 49 continental states and several Canadian provinces have legislation regarding GCVW. That is the maximum manufacturers recommended weight that your truck, trailer and everything in it can weigh. Read that as "safely handle" in their opinion for the design.

Exceed that and IF you are stopped you could be fined, have to unhook or lighten the load and be totally inconvenienced in your holiday travels. I have several friends who have been stopped and one who ended up with 800 in fines and towing charges.

I think safety is of paramount importance when I am travelling with my wife or family as passengers.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
winnieducks

I did not do any research, other than look up the Toyota Tundra in the towing guides. Take the max trailer weight with a grain of salt. Truck manufacturers usually publish their ratings using a bare bone truck with a 150# driver. A lot has to do with whether you get 2WD or 4WD, Regular/double/crewmax cab and rear gear. With a 3:73 rear gear any of the combinations above would probably do a good job with your trailer. The 3:73 rear give you a published 10,100 max trailer except the crewmax is at 9800 #.

But you need to be realistic with the weight of your truck. You will probably be taking family members with you as well as camping gear and all that weight needs to be added to the weight of the truck. You need to determine the actual weight of the truck you are looking at and then add that extra weight. That extra weight then gets subtracted from the max trailer weight to find out how much trailer you can tow. I know the sticker on the driver door jamb gives you weight ratings, not sure if it gives you actual weight of that truck.

You can always take it for a test drive and get it weighed.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Here is a article on the J2807 Standardized towing standard, as which Toyota is the only manufacturer to fully comply since 2010. Yes, it did lower their previous numbers a few hundred pounds, but it's not going to say one year their truck will pull 10k and the next year same truck pulls 12k.

For me I wanted the most reliable truck out there as not to be stuck while on vacation. Also planning a 2016 Alaska trip and don't want to be S-O-L in the Yukon.

Have had three 4Runners since 1990 all as a primary vehicle for camping and never been stranded.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
48 of 49 continental states and several Canadian provinces have legislation regarding GCVW. That is the maximum manufacturers recommended weight that your truck, trailer and everything in it can weigh.

"Legislation regarding GCVW" (for private, recreational trailers) and in 48 of 49 States plus Canada? I and perhaps others would be most interested in/grateful for some references/links in support of this surprising assertion.

Search though I have, I've never been able to find even one State/Province that has any such legislation at all specifically referring to "manufacturer's ratings" etc...?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

"Legislation regarding GCVW" (for private, recreational trailers) and in 48 of 49 States plus Canada? I and perhaps others would be most interested in/grateful for some references/links in support of this surprising assertion.

Search though I have, I've never been able to find even one State/Province that has any such legislation at all specifically referring to "manufacturer's ratings" etc...?

Thanks!
GCWR isn't on any trucks certification placard. Only the GVWR and the GAWRs.
There is no weight code in any state that uses the truck mfg GCWR as it not placarded on the truck.
Now having said that some states may require a GCW for registration purposes but its good only in that state.

The only mfg number that comes to play from a code enforcement is the trucks GAWR/tire load ratings. RAWR is of most concern for a pickup truck as its carrying just about all of a payload such as a TC or a ball/pintle/GN/5th wheel pin weight.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

You really won't be able to REALLY tow a One with a half ton. Not a knock on the Tundra, but it just isn't very capable for heavy towing.
And you don't need a diesel in a 3/4 ton. The 6.4 Hemi in the 2500 Ram is a great combo.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With a trailer GVWR of almost 10,000#, I'd step up to a 3/4 ton (2500 0r 250 series) over the Tundra. The Tundra is a fine truck, but I think all of the truck manufacturers over-inflate the towing capacity and ignore hitch weight.

Ken
Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
With the trailer weight being around 10,000 I wouldnt want to have my tow vehicle towing at or just above its max capacity. It will probably do it, but it will be working at 100% the whole time. Me personally, I would like to have 2000 pounds or so of room to play with. I just dont think its a good idea to tow AT the max rating.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #11

Budget may be a factor but is it more important than safety?

You need to watch the GVWR of the trailer, because you'll never pull it with it's dry weight.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'll join the song. There is only one half-ton pickup that can tow that trailer without being overloaded, and that is the very rare Ford F-150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Pkg. Dealers don't stock them, so if you want a half-ton that can tow that trailer without being overloaded, you'll have to order one. Totoya doesn't offer one with enough available payload to haul and tow that much weight without being overloaded.

So you really need a three-quarter ton pickup. Ignore the tow rating and use the GVWR (or payload) rating as your limiter. Be realistic as to the weight of your payload including passengers, tools, hitch and other stuff and you'll see why a half-ton won't do.

For example, the least expensive 2015 Ford CrewCab F-250 available is the one with XL (work truck) trim, 4x2 drivetrain, short bed, and the 6.2L V8 gas engine. Automatic tranny, AC, receiver hitch, and tow mirrors are standard. With absolutely no options, the MSRP is $35,835 and cash buying price is about $32,000. Of course, all sorts of options and upgrades are available that can run the price up to over $60k MSRP.

2015 Ford SuperDuty: Build and Price | Ford

GM and Ram both make similar pickups at similar prices, and most big dealers should have at least one of these CrewCab "work trucks" in stock. But Toyota does not offer a three-quarter-ton pickup yet.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Buy a truck that is big enough that when traveling you don't realize you are even towing anything.........your travels will be a lot more enjoyable.......
Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #14

JIMO I don't think the Op's weight will be anywhere near 10,000lbs. My ST29SS had a listed dry weight of 6300lbs, a delivered actual weight of 6850lbs, and a loaded travel weight of 7600lbs. Maybe I travel a lot lighter than most people and I do only carry about 5 gallons of water but I can't see taking anything else with me. My Tundra is a pleasure to drive and handles the load easily.