Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Manny Glez View Post
That statement is a little bit too extreme don't you think?
Yeah. Kinda snippy :((

Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The Prodigy will have instructions on how to adjust it. It's really simple. If you can't adjust a brake controller then you probably shouldn't be towing a trailer.
I concur.

There's times where you may have to adjust on the fly "steep" grades.

Go to the prodigy website and learn how.

2005 chevy silverado 2500hd 6.0L
2011 palomino sabre 32 bhok-6
Ron and Amy Benhart
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #17
I drove a tractor trailer over the road across country and through Canada for 5 years. 500,000 accident free miles.

The first few times I pulled a trailer with electric brakes I had a little trouble getting it where I wanted it. Even now at times depending what Im loaded with.

Don't listen to jerks and you will figure it out.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Manny Glez View Post
That statement is a little bit too extreme don't you think?
No, it's really that easy. And if you change trailers or bump the controller, you need to know how to do it yourself.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
No, it's really that easy. And if you change trailers or bump the controller, you need to know how to do it yourself.
But you can use the MaxBrake and most of the problems go away. They are a bit harder to install, but well worth the effort. The time based and inertia based controllers are pure junk when compared to a hydraulic based units.

I guess that that will be considered extreme, but unless you have used both types of controllers, you cannot make a comparison.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #20

Is MaxBrake still in business? They no longer have a website and I can find no retailers online.

nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #21
my issue is I went from towing a 1500 lbs pop-up to a 3000 ultra light TT. They act totally different when stopping.

I had expected to have to dial it up for all the extra weight, but it sort of seems to stop better at a low setting. Bigger and better electric brakes?

I had a video instructions with mine even. Like mentioned, you set them to lock up, then you back off your settings a bit. But I've never got it to lock up. When I set up high (80%), if feels like it's going to rip off the back of my little car. So I've been leaving it around 30%. Not sure if that's enough
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
The problem with electric brakes is that they are more effective at slow speeds. Setting them smooth and setting them right is not the same thing. I tolerate grabby feeling at 0-25 mph in order to have adequate stopping power at highway speed when it is more important, I don't like when trailer is pushing as well as excessive wear off TV brakes and tires
Typically set gain at 2V continuous when the rig is stopped and then set boost at b1.
Nothing should happen with your car if the hitch receiver is up to the task.
I hope next generation of brake controllers will be better but l for now we got what we have.
Gene//////'16 Passport 2670 BH
'11 Mercedes ML 350 gas, Reinforced OEM hitch receiver,1000 lb Eaz-Lift with custom welded head, 2 sway control bars, P2, tst 507 trailer TPMS
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #23
I guess MaxBrake is out of business. People did not want to pay the price for a real controller and chose the cheap and easy way. New trucks do have a real controller so MaxBrake no longer had that market as well.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
I had a curt brake controller. Alway seemed to be playing with it. It worked good.

Now I stepped up to a tekonsha p3. And what a word of difference.
Same experience here.

Bought our first TT 2 or so years ago (now on #2). The dealer gave us a "super duper" deal on a hitch and b/c package at a local hitch shop. didn't know as much about brake controllers (and hitches) as I do now. Hitch shop said absolutely nothing about brake controllers or hitch setup. They installed the basic (and "inexpensive") Curt b/c and told us nothing on how to adjust it. Nothing.... (Same with the WDH). Never seemed to get it to work right for us but then, we also had on-going brake problems that took over a year to solve.

We switched to a Prodigy P3 and it also made a world of difference. Maybe not the very best one out there, but it sure works great with our current 7K lb, 29' TT. Adjusted it once and have not had to touch it since.

Besides having a good brake controller, it's important to have your brakes inspected annually and adjusted as needed (along with doing the bearings). You can have the best b/c around but if your brakes are tired or not functioning right, it may not be able to save you when you need it the most.

Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote