Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

brake controller

A keep fiddling with my brake controller, and im really not sure where it should be.

Anyone has any easy way to find the ideal setting.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Test, test, and test again. Eventually you'll have enough test results to be satisfied with your settings.

Test means to set the controller at what you think is the right numbers, then find a lonely highway with good traction, get up to highway speed, then slam on the brakes. Panic stop. If the trailer tires slide, the gain is too much. You want it one notch below where the trailer brakes lock up and slides the trailer tires.

As to how fast the trailer brakes come to full power, I prefer almost instant action from my trailer brakes. A few days ago I was glad I had mine set that way. I came around a curve at 62 MPH and there was stopped traffic just ahead because of an overturned truck blocking one lane of the interstate. I slammed on the brakes and managed to get stopped soon enough that I didn't rear-end the car in front of me. Thanks to good brakes on both the pickup and trailer, and the Ford ITBC set on 6 gain and quick action. Messed up my shorts, but at least I didn't bang into the car in front of me.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

Tweaking constantly. I'm still messing with mine depending on the trailer and load.
Unless you get a controller that taps into the brake line pressure I guess.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

I had a curt brake controller. Alway seemed to be playing with it. It worked good.

Now I stepped up to a tekonsha p3. And what a word of differance.

I hear lots about the brake controllers that tap into your brake lines. Expensive. But if they work better. That's a good thing.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
I had a curt brake controller. Alway seemed to be playing with it. It worked good.

Now I stepped up to a tekonsha p3. And what a word of differance.

I hear lots about the brake controllers that tap into your brake lines. Expensive. But if they work better. That's a good thing.
They work according to the amount of pressure you are applying with your foot. That is the way brakes should work and I would have no other kind.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

Ummmmmm ok.

That's why I stated they work better.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a MaxBrake on the last truck and while costing $350 it performed flawlessly. The new truck has the integrated Ford system. I will never use another inertia based system like the Prodigy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #8

The MaxBrake is the way to go. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have been using mine for over 5 years and when it is initially set you never have to fool with it again, provided you don't accidentally knock the adjustment when cleaning the interior.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Test means to set the controller at what you think is the right numbers, then find a lonely highway with good traction, get up to highway speed, then slam on the brakes. Panic stop. If the trailer tires slide, the gain is too much. You want it one notch below where the trailer brakes lock up and slides the trailer tires.
But if the highway is wet or icy or snow covered, then you must reset the brake controller gain to not slide the trailer tires when you slam on the brakes.

I usually set mine on a wet highway, and use that even on dry pavement. That gives me good braking performance even in the rain. But for ice or snow, I have to back off on the gain to barely over zero.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #10

You need to set it up properly. The standard method is to drive 25 mph, slide the TBC's lever over all the way to set the trailer brakes. If the trailer brakes lock up then reduce the gain. Keep doing this till they don't lock up. That will be the optimum setting. You may get a different reaction when in town. My TBC has 4 boost settings. I normally run B1 on the road and B in town and CG's. If I run B1 the brakes will be a little jerky in town. Trailer brakes need to be warmed up also before they work right. Cold trailer brakes may be grabby. Once warmed up they react better. I also have 12" brakes which are rather large for my 5'ers weight.

Another thing is, have you adjusted your brakes recently. They should be done once a year or every 3,000 miles or according to use.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Personally, if our truck didn't have the integrated trailer brake controller, I wouldn't waste my time with ramped time-based or inertial brake controllers. Been there and done that!! The MaxBrake might appear to be a little pricey, but it's truly a "set and forget" brake controller. It mimics exactly what your right foot does with the truck's brake pedal since it's sensing the brake system hydraulic pressure.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #12

I am going to install the prodigy n my 06 Ram 1500, and now I feel insecure, I was thinling that all I had to do wto plug it and drive it!! hahaha,,, how can I adjust the settings??? does some shops like Camping world can adjust it for me?
Thanks for your time reading my post
Manny Glez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #13

The Prodigy will have instructions on how to adjust it. It's really simple. If you can't adjust a brake controller then you probably shouldn't be towing a trailer.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The Prodigy will have instructions on how to adjust it. It's really simple. If you can't adjust a brake controller then you probably shouldn't be towing a trailer.
That statement is a little bit too extreme don't you think?
Manny Glez is offline   Reply With Quote