Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
trz

brake controller

I have an '05' dodge ram 1500 quad cab that i will be towing a 26ft tt. with, just locally here in western Michigan (no mntns.). Was looking for advice on a brake controller to use!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There is only ONE brake controller that everyone should have, it's Prodigy made by Teshonka.

You won't be disappointed!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #3

Buy the best brake controller you can get...MaxBrake.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #4

A short primer on brake controllers-
My parents had a pull trailer back in the early/mid 50’s. The brake controller was a pressure operated variable 6V (or maybe it was 12V, I can’t remember which) resister pad about brake pedal size and 1/2in thick. It was clipped to the brake pedal. This was truly a PROPROTIONAL controller i.e. Pressing the brake pedal compressed the resister and the voltage to the Rv brakes would increase. No computer or anything, just a pressure operated high amperage variable resister.
The next generation of brake controllers tapped a small hydraulic line into a brake line at the master cylinder was snaked into the cab and connected to a small slave cylinder in the brake controller body. This slave cylinder was connected to a variable 12V resister. There again a truly proportional system.
When Anti-Lock brakes were introduced the vehicle manufactures wouldn’t allow you to tap into the brake hydraulic systems. The controller manufactures came up with the problematic pendulum (inertia) type and time constant controllers.
I also had one of these time constant death traps! When you applied the TV brakes the controller slowly ramped up to max in applying the RV brakes. This means that when you were gradually slowing down the longer you had the TV brakes applied the harder the RV brakes were applied, then release the brakes and apply them again. Conversely under a panic stop the TV brakes were doing most of the stopping while the RV brakes were gradually increasing.
The MaxBrake with a pressure transducer tapped into a Hyd. Brake line and a small computer is a truly proportional controller! Press the brake pedal and the voltage to the brakes increases even when you are stopped or are backing. The small volume of brake fluid displaced by the transducer is approved for use with TV Anti-lock brakes. The MaxBrake controller is available mail order only, I am not aware of any RV dealer that stocks them.
I did make a change to the instructions- Max Brake supplied a steel brake line that went between the adapter “T” and the Transducer. To me that presented two potential problems, 1- bending the steel line without kinking it, 2- vibration of the relative heavy transducer could cause the 8 inch long steel line to work harden with the potential of a resulting fracture. I had a local hydraulic hose company make me a length of brake hose with the proper end fittings. I then attached a small piece of 1/8”aluminum to the firewall pinch weld the used a small “U” bolt to attach the transducer to the bracket. On my truck there are two power brake lines alongside the Master Cylinder that the transducer could also be attached to using cable ties.

BTW- I am under the impression that the Brake Smart (very similar in operation to the MaxBrake) is either no longer business or are almost out of business!
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Prodigy Brake Controller is a fully proportional braking system all without having to tap into anything on the TV's brake system.

These units are by far the BEST on the market today.

I tow a 12,000 lb. trailer fully loaded behind my coach and have done well over 12,000 miles to Alaska and back to CA pulling many very steep grades up and down without any problem and now over to Florida.

Do your research on the Internet before making any purchase decision, then go talk to people in your local area who are in the business of towing to see what they recommend, I did, and all of the ones who knew what they were doing and talking about always came up with the same brand, Tekshonka, and most preferred the Prodigy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Saying the Prodigy is the best brake controller on the market because they sell more than anyone else is like saying the Big Mac is the best hamburger on the planet because McDonald's sells more of them than anyone else.

From a functional and technological point, I'd go with the MaxBrake every time as it directly translates the commands from the driver's foot into trailer braking. An inertial controller such as the Prodigy doesn't - it relies on sensing deceleration forces to determine the amount of trailer braking to provide. That's all fine and well - until you find yourself on a wet or slick road where tow vehicle brake lockup/anti-lock brake activation kicks in before sufficient deceleration forces are generated. Wait until your trailer tries to push your truck through an intersection or into a ditch because it doesn't sense enough deceleration to brake sufficiently. Been there, done that, got the soiled bloomers to prove it!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Wireless controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by trz View Post
I have an '05' dodge ram 1500 quad cab that i will be towing a 26ft tt. with, just locally here in western Michigan (no mntns.). Was looking for advice on a brake controller to use!
I JUST BOUGHT THIS CONTROLLER FOR MY COACH.I HAD NO WIRES AT THE REAR OR UNDER THE DASH. I STUDIED UP ON THEM AND REVIEWS WERE GREAT. IT ALSO CAN BE EASILY MOUNTED ON ANOTHER TRAILER AND USED.THIS WAS THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO ORDER ONE.

Tekonsha Prodigy RF Electric Trailer Brake Controllers