Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #1

I am installing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. It comes with a "40A B+ trailering J-Case fuse" -- the instructions say if my vehicle has the TP2 option (auxiliary battery) then the fuse is not needed. If I don't have the TP2 option then I do need the fuse.

My truck is a 2004 Duramax -- don't all diesels have 2 batteries?? If so, is the second battery an auxiliary battery or would it require a 3rd battery to be auxiliary.

Any help on how I determine if I have the TP2 option would be appreciated.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #2

I am installing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. It comes with a "40A B+ trailering J-Case fuse" -- the instructions say if my vehicle has the TP2 option (auxiliary battery) then the fuse is not needed. If I don't have the TP2 option then I do need the fuse.

My truck is a 2004 Duramax -- don't all diesels have 2 batteries?? If so, is the second battery an auxiliary battery or would it require a 3rd battery to be auxiliary.

Any help on how I determine if I have the TP2 option would be appreciated.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #3

You don't need a third battery. Those instructions are assuming a gas engine, one battery system.

I would install a SELF RESETTING 30 amp breaker. That way it will pop is a short happens, but will come back on again to give you brakes again.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riverdog:
Any help on how I determine if I have the TP2 option would be appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
All GM trucks should have the options listed on the inside of the glove compartment door. They will be listed by RPO (Regular Production Option) number.

As you suggest, however, the second battery may be standard and not an option so TP2 will not be listed. If in doubt, adding the fuse will probably not hurt. A call to Tekonsha may be necessary to get a final answer.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #5

Riverdog
Did the fuse come with the brake controller or with the truck? If it came with the truck and you are using the connector under the dash then the fuse goes in the fuse box under the hood.

Tom

00 Chevy 2500 6.0L 3.73
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #6

Thanks Sunny - I also called Chevrolet & they took my VIN and determined I do not have a TP2 option. The fuse came with the electric brake wiring harness that came with the truck. I'll install the fuse - I guess it can't hurt even if I don't need it.

Rick

Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #7

I just saw the post. I went through the same thing recently on my '07 classic Dmax. You will need to install the fuse in the underhood fuse box. there is a "dummy" fuse in the spot, just pull it out and put in the 40A one.

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #8

Thanks Superduty -- I will install the fuse tonight. You've got an interesting situation...your signature is Ford reference yet you drive a Chevy.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #9

yep, quite the dilema. When I registered back in December 2000 I was loving my '99 stroker and Lance camper. Now I have a Chevy and a TT, but can't change the username! Oh well I have fond memories of trips taken with the stroker and seeing the name reminds of that!

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #10

I finally installed this last weekend. Works like a dream. & Superduty - you were correct, I found the dummy fuse & put the real one in it. Thanks for the heads up.