Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #1

I have a 2001 Laredo 27RLDS. In June I had the brakes replaced with Dexter units. Since then, I have blown two tires and ground down a third. One of the wheels on the passenger side of the trailer seizes up periodically, and when it does it will peel the tread real fast if you are on the highway. The third time, I was slowing for a traffic light and was therefore going slowly enough that I just sanded it down. The only way to free the wheel is to go backward. Dexter tells me the brakes need adjusting, which I will have done next week, but is that too simplistic an explanation? Any help will be appreciated. I have new Mor-Ryde suspension, axles and all just two months ago also.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #2

I have a 2001 Laredo 27RLDS. In June I had the brakes replaced with Dexter units. Since then, I have blown two tires and ground down a third. One of the wheels on the passenger side of the trailer seizes up periodically, and when it does it will peel the tread real fast if you are on the highway. The third time, I was slowing for a traffic light and was therefore going slowly enough that I just sanded it down. The only way to free the wheel is to go backward. Dexter tells me the brakes need adjusting, which I will have done next week, but is that too simplistic an explanation? Any help will be appreciated. I have new Mor-Ryde suspension, axles and all just two months ago also.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hi Jim,

I'd suggest a complete disassembly and inspection of all the components in the axle assembly, brakes, bearings, seals, etc on all four wheels. Something is dramatically wrong with the way it has been put together. Perhaps the leading brake shoes have been reversed or maybe the bearings improperly adjusted, but something is terribly wrong.

If you're not capable to handle this in depth diagnosis and repair yourself, I'd suggest a competent RV Technician who is trained and experienced in axle and brake repairs. I'm not sure I'd even want to tow it to a garage.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #4

This is more common than you might think but I believe someone installed your brake assemblies backwards with the trailing shoe in the lead position on all four. Sometimes service shops replace the assembly as a whole: backer plate with brakes assembled on them simply slid over bearing spindle and secured with 4 or 5 bolts to axle flange and they can get them on the wrong side therefore making them reversed which will cause the shoes to "bind" to the drums. I suggest dropping the wheel that has performed the worst and pull off the drum and believe me it will be readily apparent if this is the case.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:47 AM   #5

to bstark
I did pull the wheel yesterday, but I didn't see anything amiss? What should I have been looking for?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #6

Both Dexter and AL-Ko offer good manuals that can be downloaded as acrobat files, which I've found helpful.

Anyhow, the arm that the magnet is attached to should be toward the front of the vehicle. (like the illustration, page 6, Al-Ko's manual).

I'd also look for grease contamination, proper adjustment, torn up or out of spec drum...

You can download a service manual from Dexter here.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature

Even though you said you have Dexters, Al-Ko has a very good downloadable service manual, too, with some additional illustrations.

http://www.al-kousa.com/

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

P.S. My best guess would be that they are way out of adjustment, allowing the arm to rotate farther than it is supposed to and hang up...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #7

I just got my 3 week old Everest 364Q into the shop for the same problem, but with Al-ko axles. Same result, shredded tire (only 1), most of the brake compenents were blue from heat, etc. The service dept is waiting for authorization from Keystone to replace all 4 brake assemblies, including backing plates, drums, etc. The best part is trying to find a replacement tire; as most know RV manufacturers have been using one-off, less than known tires for a while. Will probably have to wait for the factory to send a new Tacoma tire here to San Diego. Seriously considering stepping up to (and to the pay window) Michelin XPS ribs or similar, I'd like to have an little extra margin of safety...my .02
Old 08-17-2005, 07:02 AM   #8

Well, got the coach back, almost done Still waiting on the new tire to come in, but we needed to get out of our rental house and couldn't wait any longer. Ended up replacing the entire brake, backing plate, etc. No problems so far, but only about 20 miles on it. The best thing is I did find an excellent repair facility, and they have fixed many of my other "little things" while they were waiting for parts. Now if I can just get a good spare again....

BTW, my Dodge Ram is for sale, PM me if interested.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:22 AM   #9

We had the brakes checked and adjusted. Finally took it out for a trip, and everything worked well. Would not have thought an adjustmen would be the problem but apparently it was.