Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2004, 05:11 AM   #15

If the TruControl and the Breaksmart are the same, why the HUGE price difference??? Breaksmart - $350 and the TruControl - $427!!!!

I will be looking forward to reading Ken L report.

2000 wanderer 315 fifth wheel
2001 F350 CC PSD SRW 4X4
Honda EU 2000
Honda XR 400 camp bike
Photos
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2004, 11:22 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
Update:

You can now order BrakeSmart controllers direct on-line from them. Price is about $350. Great service. They also have installation manuals on the website so that you can review the installation procedures before deciding to buy. I have my controller sitting on a shelf in my office waiting for the new ride to put it in. Will report back when finished and tested.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Ken, why not install that controller on your office chair and pull your desk around and let us know how well that controller works? Not sure I can wait for your truck to come in. So a preliminary report on towing a heavy desk would be nice as well.

Casey and Karen Balvert with Polly and Babe the Border Collies
03 Dodge Quad Cab Dually Diesel pulling a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 34RDCK Dually
Old 01-25-2004, 07:40 PM   #17

Just finished installing the controller.
All went went well, however make sure you have atleast 3 large cans of brake fluid. Getting the air out of the brakes was not easy.
My original brake fluid was really dark (27000 miles total, 7000 towing); I am going to change it every year from now on.

Tom

Tom + Kathy
2003 Chevy Duramax 3500 LT CC LB 4WD.
2002 New Vision 3158Px3.

Schefenacker towing mirrors - Remote + Heated + Lights.
Reese 16K 4 way pivot with 2 way lock.
Prodigy :? Going to replace with BrakeSmart Controller.

"Ashes to ashes dust to dust grant me the time to keep rolling before I die or go bust."

[b]2003 Chevy Duramax 3500 LT CC LB 4WD.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:41 AM   #18

I have had the brakeSmart for about 3 years. We tow from popups to 43' fivers. There is nothing better. IMHO.
Very easy to install, As far as bleeding the lines, we just push on the brake peddle while someone tightens the tee. Always seemed to work better than at the calipers.
Dave T
Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:56 AM   #19
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
When I bought my 5ver last Sep the dealer installed a Draw Tite Activator II in my truck. I have towed with it on several occasions and it seems to work OK - no complaints but I am a newbie at pulling a trailer so have no point of reference. I haven't read anything about the Draw Tite here. Just wonder if it is a good choice. From wht I have been reading the BrakeSmart seems to be the creme de la creme, but that price tag seems pretty steep.

Don & Pat Allen - AKA Grump & Gram (at least to our 2 grandsons LOL)
Old 01-30-2004, 10:45 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have the Activator IIin my truck also. It was installed when I bought my first TT and I didn't know any better. I find it difficult to adjust and jerky at times. I will be upgrading before next season and will probably go with the Prodigy. I just haven't done it yet because I have been lazy and keep finding something different to spend the money on. The brakesmart really has mi intrigued, but I don't know about the cost.

1999 Ford F350 PSD, CC, Centurion Conversion

2002 Rockwood M2710 Ultralight 5th Wheel
Old 01-30-2004, 10:51 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Don,

If you don't want to pop for the BrakeSmart, the Jordan Ultima 2020 is a good 2nd choice. It has a proportional output based on brake pedal position as opposed to the BrakeSmart's use of brake hydraulic pressure. A number of us use the Jordan (myself included) and find it much better than the time-based or inertial controllers.

Edit: I'm not knocking the BrakeSmart as I find it technically intriguing - especially if one were to convert the 5th wheel to electric over hydraulic disc brakes!! I'm just submitting the Jordan as perhaps a cost-effective alternative.

Rusty

----------------------
Tower - 2002 Dodge 3500 Cummins HO/6 speed/4.10LS SLT+ QC LB dually
Towee - 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 36' triple slide 5ver
Travel Companions - Our two Shelties, Brittany and the Bandit!
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally AND at the 2004 iRV2.com National Rally in Boerne, TX
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:58 PM   #22

I noticed on the BrakeSmart web page that it will also coordinate trailer air suspensions and has inputs for Diesel engine sensing. Does anyone know how this works, what is available, and if it can be fitted to a truck & trailer I already have? It really looks interesting but th eprice demands that I look at all of it's capabilities.
Zeke

EE, Ham, 20 yr. Boy Scouter, (any WB Owls?), Divemaster, ARC CPR Instructor driving
2004 GMC 32500 SLT CC, LB, D/A SLT (Great White Whale), B&W Turnover Ball and 5th plug, towing customized 2003 HR Presidential 36SKT 5th.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:24 PM   #23

I ordered a BrakeSmart controller yesterday from Brakesmart.net. I requested next day service extra charge of course. However I recieved email stating that they had a glitch in their software that did not pick up the next day service fee. I will not be billed for the next day service. I hope that the controller is as good as their customer relations. Just great

Rich/Carole
Zeta Black Lab
94 Dakota CC 4X4
98 Coleman Casa Grande

Zeta Black Lab
BlackLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:55 PM   #24

I installed mine today. Very easy. I did not use the hose between the "T" and the pressure sensor, just plugged the sensor directly into the "T". The rest was plug-in-play. I have not towed with it yet, but it sure looks nice.

Dodge 2004.5 3500 QC 4X4 LWB SRW
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications
RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights
Hunter Digital Thermastat Installation
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:52 PM   #25

Everyone complains about the price of the controller; however everyone pays for insurance about the same or more than the cost of the controller per year. I look at the controller as an insurance policy; anything that helps me stop faster or more controllable is a good thing.

Tom

[b]2003 Chevy Duramax 3500 LT CC LB 4WD.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:09 AM   #26
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Tom makes a very valid point. Most of us are pulling a very expensive trailer with a very expensive tow vehicle. It would only stand to reason that we would want to make sure that we have the very best components to make a safe and controlled stop under any condition.
I am seriously considering ordering the BrakeSmart for that reason. The money doesn't sem so important as it did. Sure will be looking for Ken to give his opinion on how his new one performs.

Don & Pat Allen - AKA Grump & Gram (at least to our 2 grandsons LOL)
Old 02-03-2004, 07:08 PM   #27

Here are pics of the BrakeSmart installation in my 04.5 Dodge.

http://www.klenger.net/dodge/brakesmart/slide01.html

Dodge 2004.5 3500 QC 4X4 LWB SRW
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications
RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights
Hunter Digital Thermastat Installation
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:38 AM   #28

Ken, excellent photos. Looks like the installation if fairly straight forward. Soooooooo next weekend hitch that baby up and conduct a towing evaluation????

Casey and Karen Balvert with Polly and Babe the Border Collies
03 Dodge Quad Cab Dually Diesel pulling a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 34RDCK Dually