Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2004, 06:55 AM   #29
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ken,

Most Excellent !

Wait eagerly to hear how the controller performs ...........

Don & Pat Allen - AKA Grump & Gram (at least to our 2 grandsons LOL)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2004, 07:43 AM   #30

I finally tested the BakeSmart and Wow what a difference (went 300 miles). I did not even fine tune it and I know it far out performs my old Prodigy. I just got lazy and stopped tuning it after 5 minutes; I was so completely satisfied with the way it performed. The fine tuning capability of this brake controller is very precise.

BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT.

This controller is completely Smoooth!

I tested the Brakesmart knowing my brakes were not up to speed (grease leakage problems into brakes) and it still out performed my Prodigy when the brakes were new. I knew I had more power to my brakes when I hit the manual brake control and my rig skidded to a stop; this never happened with the Prodigy I just got an intense dragging feeling.

I am in no way connected to the people at BrakeSmart I just like the product.

Tom

Tom + Kathy
2003 Chevy Duramax 3500 LT CC LB 4WD.
2002 New Vision 3158Px3.

Schefenacker towing mirrors - Remote + Heated + Lights.
Reese 16K 4 way pivot with 2 way lock.
Prodigy :? Going to replace with BrakeSmart Controller.

"Ashes to ashes dust to dust grant me the time to keep rolling before I die or go bust."

[b]2003 Chevy Duramax 3500 LT CC LB 4WD.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:05 PM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Here are pics of the BrakeSmart installation in my 04.5 Dodge.

http://www.klenger.net/dodge/brakesm...></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Ken,

Glad all went well.

When you stated 'You were lucky...' do you mean the final position of the 'T' fitting after tightening - making the other connections available without the hose? Hope this question makes sense.

Bruce A. Wittmeier
email: bruce.wittmeier@cox.net
2001 Ford F250 PSD, Ext cab, Shortbed, Island Blue/Silver, 4X4 Off-road, SOF Auto, Alum Wheels, Chrome Step, Line-X bedliner, Reese 16K slider, Jordan Ultima 2020, AirLift Airbags, Sunnybrook 30RKFS
<a href=http://members.cox.net/bruce.wittmeier/images/TruckTrailer013b.jpg>My Hacienda</a>
BrakeControllers
AirLiftAirBagInstallation
JordanClampSlipFix
<a href=http://members.cox.net/bruce.wittmeier/images/HitchProcess001.jpg>Proper hitching w/Reese</a>

email: bruce.wittmeier@cox.net
wittmeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:10 PM   #32

wittmeba:

That was exactly what I meant.

Dodge 2004.5 3500 QC 4X4 LWB SRW
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications
RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights
Hunter Digital Thermastat Installation
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:15 PM   #33

Ken:
I was curious: Did you order the kit or do you have to order the controller $239.99 plus the wiring harness for an additional $109.99?
DNR

01 F250 SD 4x4, SB, Diesel, K&N Air Filter, Gauges; towing 01 Timberland 28FBS
Old 03-08-2004, 06:56 PM   #34

I ordered the controller and the installation harness (kit) separetly. Their online ordering system does not allow you to put two items in the shopping cart at one time, but they will combine the order and ship together. The reason for selling the controller and the installation kit separatly is because the controller can be ordered in about 8 different colors, and there are at least 4 different installation kits available for different vehicles.

RV Solar Electric System
Old 03-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #35
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ken,
Have you had any more opportunity to "test" your new Brakesmart Controller. I want to replace the Draw Tite I have now and really can't decide between the Jordan (much Cheaper) or the Brakesmart (pricey but very inovative). I don't mind spending the money for the Brakesmart but really would value your opinion of it's performance.

Thanks......

Don & Pat Allen - AKA Grump & Gram (at least to our 2 grandsons LOL)
Old 03-12-2004, 11:18 AM   #36

I've towed about 700 miles with the BrakeSmart. I'm happy with it and recommend it. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth the extra cost. The Jordan is an excellent unit also, but I was attracted to the BrakeSmart because of the simple installation.

RV Solar Electric System
Old 06-08-2004, 10:41 PM   #37

I towed 2290 miles with it, worked better than any I've ever had. On the way back MT, around Colorado it lost it's mind. Stuck the Prodigy back in and have run several trailers with it. Replacement BrakeSmart is sitting at my residence, I'm loaded heading for Salt Lake City. Alittle out of my way but I'm considering swinging by home and picking up my BrakeSmart. . .it's that good.

Cheers,
Steve J
Old 06-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #38

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly JR:
I am not too crazt about putting a tee into the brake system. I realize that the controller uses a minimal amount of fluid but I still wouldn't want to do it. The ABS may or may not be affected by this.
I have both the Prodigy and the Jordan and love the Jordan. Tha cable knows how much You are applying the brakes and does the same to the trailer.

I have done a lot of research on the Brakesmart.
Here is the way I understand it. It does not in any way affect the ABS because it does not require any volume of brake fluid. It is just a pressure sensor. No moving parts. The ABS does not even know it is there. Now if it were some sort of hydralic actuator, it would require fluid volume, and probally would have adverse effect th the ABS. FYI, I dont have one yet. I have one on order, but i hear the oredrs are coming in faster than they can build them. I also read somewhere that a new model is coming out soon with an intergrated EGT and BOOST readout.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #39

The brakesmart uses something similar to a straingage. It is basically a material that deforms at the sub micron level and creates a minute change in resistance in current passing through. Basically it is a variable resister. This technology is used in a number of devices where a moving weight or such would create maintenance or safety issues such as scales and some ride control systems. The brakesmart system does not displace fluid because the straingage portion is squeezed by a few microns. The change in resistance is in the milivolt range and the controller uses this information to compute braking pressures.
This technology is so accurate that it is used to measure biometric changes in a person's strength for medical reasons.
My only issue with this device is breaking the seal on the master cylinder to install the transducer.
DNR
Old 09-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #40

Hi There,

Can you make any recommendations or provide any details regarding the installation of a BrakeSmart controller into a vehicle equipped with Hydraulic Booster brakes, as in Chev diesel trucks. I figure it must be diffeent, but I'm not 100% sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wannabee:
I finally tested the BakeSmart and Wow what a difference (went 300 miles). I did not even fine tune it and I know it far out performs my old Prodigy. I just got lazy and stopped tuning it after 5 minutes; I was so completely satisfied with the way it performed. The fine tuning capability of this brake controller is very precise.

BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT.

This controller is completely Smoooth!

I tested the Brakesmart knowing my brakes were not up to speed (grease leakage problems into brakes) and it still out performed my Prodigy when the brakes were new. I knew I had more power to my brakes when I hit the manual brake control and my rig skidded to a stop; this never happened with the Prodigy I just got an intense dragging feeling.

I am in no way connected to the people at BrakeSmart I just like the product.

Tom

Tom + Kathy
_2003 Chevy Duramax 3500 LT CC LB 4WD.
2002 New Vision 3158Px3._
Schefenacker towing mirrors - Remote + Heated + Lights.
Reese 16K 4 way pivot with 2 way lock.
Prodigy :? Going to replace with BrakeSmart Controller.

http://www.megacoffee.com/Rig.jpg

"Ashes to ashes dust to dust grant me the time to keep rolling before I die or go bust."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #41

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghbzorro:
...Can you make any recommendations or provide any details regarding the installation of a BrakeSmart controller into a vehicle equipped with Hydraulic Booster brakes, as in Chev diesel trucks. I figure it must be diffeent, but I'm not 100% sure... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a 3/4 ton Suburban with HydroBoost brakes. Installing the BrakeSmart is no different than any installations on other systems.

Just take the brake line off the master cylinder, screw in the "T" fitting, screw the brake line onto the "T" and install the sensor.

Very easy.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:44 AM   #42

Would installing the brakesmart void my warranty? I have an 04 ford f150 supercrew and I'm wondering how that works.

jim