Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #1

I posted in the General Discussion board, and I guess I should have posted the question here -- duh...

Am looking for a brake controller. After reading through several threads, I see that inertia type controllers appear to NOT be the way to go. So, it seems that it might boil down to the Jordan or the Brakesmart. Can anyone offer their opinons on either one, and help me in my decision?

Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #2

I posted in the General Discussion board, and I guess I should have posted the question here -- duh...

Am looking for a brake controller. After reading through several threads, I see that inertia type controllers appear to NOT be the way to go. So, it seems that it might boil down to the Jordan or the Brakesmart. Can anyone offer their opinons on either one, and help me in my decision?

Thanks!!

Old 11-14-2003, 06:41 PM   #3

Both of the ones you have mentioned are great. I've been using the Prodogy and love it. I think you would be happy with any of these.
Jim

2001 Sportsman Fifth Wheel 2456; 2001 Ford F250 4x4, Crew Cab, 7.3 Diesel.

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:00 AM   #4

I use the Jordan Ultima and have tried both. The Jordan is clearly a better controller based on my experience (years of towing). You wouldn't know it unless you compared them. Cheapest price I know of is www.bestbrakecontroller.com Installations instructions are there to. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:44 PM   #5

To your question...

What is the principle to the BrakeSmart? I have been to the website but dont find any specific details.

How does it work?
What makes it work?

We all know the Jordan works on a cable attached to the brake pedal arm and the Prodigy on a bending bars capacitor principle, but the BrakeSmart? Anyone know?

Id like to see a brake controller become a more integral part of the vehicle braking system. Keeping the electric brakes on the trailer end is ok, but why not implement a pressure transducer attached directly to the master brake cylinder with an analog output (0-15 amps) adjustable from within the vehicle?

Im no engineer but it doesnt seem that complicated.

Anyone design engineers out there wanting a project?

Bruce A. Wittmeier
Home: MikeBrandn@aol.com
2001 Ford F250 PSD, Ext cab, Shortbed, Island Blue/Silver, 4X4 Off-road, SOF Auto, Alum Wheels, Chrome Step, Line-X bedliner, Reese 16K slider, Jordan Ultima 2020, AirLift Airbags, Sunnybrook 30RKFS
<a href=http://members.aol.com/MikeBrandn/Camping/TruckTrailer013b.jpg>My Hacienda</a>
BrakeControllers
AirLiftAirBagInstallation
JordanClampSlipFix
Proper hitching w/Reese

email: bruce.wittmeier@cox.net
wittmeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:01 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wittmeba:
why not implement a pressure transducer attached directly to the master brake cylinder with an analog output (0-15 amps) adjustable from within the vehicle?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bruce:

From what I understand, What you describe is how the brakesmart controller works.

<font color=black>Russell ('58), Janice ('62), Lauren ('87), Katie ('90), Sarah ('94)</font>
<font color=red>'02 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4X4 8.1 ltr 4.10 gears</font>
<font color=blue>'03 SunnyBrook/MobileScout 29DBS</font>
<font color=#ff3300>'01 Hensley Arrow Hitch</font>

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 04:29 AM   #7

Russell,

Thanks. I went back to their site and did see something about connecting to a 'T' on the master brake cylinder. Not much else, however.

It makes sense to me and may be a big improvement over the Jordan and Prodigy.

I talked to a Ford engineer a little over a year ago regarding brake controllers and I wouldnt be surprised if it shows up as another 'Towing Option' in the near future.

Bruce A. Wittmeier
Home: MikeBrandn@aol.com
2001 Ford F250 PSD, Ext cab, Shortbed, Island Blue/Silver, 4X4 Off-road, SOF Auto, Alum Wheels, Chrome Step, Line-X bedliner, Reese 16K slider, Jordan Ultima 2020, AirLift Airbags, Sunnybrook 30RKFS
<a href=http://members.aol.com/MikeBrandn/Camping/TruckTrailer013b.jpg>My Hacienda</a>
BrakeControllers
AirLiftAirBagInstallation
JordanClampSlipFix
Proper hitching w/Reese

email: bruce.wittmeier@cox.net
wittmeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 05:07 PM   #8

I think that this brake controller looks interesting and I will look into it if I upgrade my truck. I really like the Jordan, but I think a hydraulic sensor would make for a simplier and cleaner installation. Their website makes no mention of the price of the controller.

Ken Lenger
Dodge 2001.9 2500 QC 4X4 LWB SLT HO 6 Speed, 4.10 LSD. Jordan Brake Controller, Jacobs E-Brake.
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications, & Other RV Topics RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights, an exercise in reality
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:13 AM   #9

I am not too crazt about putting a tee into the brake system. I realize that the controller uses a minimal amount of fluid but I still wouldn't want to do it. The ABS may or may not be affected by this.
I have both the Prodigy and the Jordan and love the Jordan. Tha cable knows how much You are applying the brakes and does the same to the trailer.

John

2002 GMC Crew Cab Dually DuraMax / Allison
'03 Montana 3255RL

Volunteer Fire Chief
"Without COURAGE, all other virtues lose their meaning"

There is no "Land of the Free" without the "Home of the Brave"

'03 Montana 3255RL
NJ Hillbilly JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #10

What goes around, comes around.

I still have one of the old hydraulic brake controlers that we used to use. They work better than any electronic that I have ever seen, however all of the information that I can find says that they will screw up the anti-lock brake systems.

I would really like to have one of those old mechanical controllers installed. The harder you push the brake pedal, the more current to the trailer brakes.

I have one of the older Jordan controllers and it works ok, but it simply ramps up the voltage based on time and has nothing to do with how quick you want to stop.

Anything that is truly proportional is best.

36ft Montanna 5th wheel, 2001 F-250 Super Duty Diesel
Amateur Radio on the Road

Jeep Liberty TOAD
nditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:12 PM   #11

I am installing a brakesmart right now on my truck. Wish I would of done it the first time; I am on my third controller. This controller is very cool and it has modules to read egt and boost. Plus you can control your air suspension and it will control electric hydraulic brakes. If I designed a controller I would have used this approach, however I never would have had the funds to make something so elegant. I truly think the Light truck companies will use this unit as a spring board to offer truly integrated braking run off the main truck computer. I have read great reviews about the unit and it is the only unit to offer real time synchronized braking of both vehicles. I could care less about installing the transducer on the Master cylinder. It uses no real oil volume to operate and it is compatible with ABS.

The kit is very complete and easy to install, since it has no cable attachments it can be mounted inside your dash to look like part of your truck. I will have the install complete this Sunday and will test it out the first time the weather is above the mid 40's probably in February.

Tom

Tom + Kathy
2003 Chevy Duramax 3500 LT CC LB 4WD.
2002 New Vision 3158Px3.

Schefenacker towing mirrors - Remote + Heated + Lights.
Reese 16K 4 way pivot with 2 way lock.
Prodigy :? Going to replace with BrakeSmart Controller.

"Ashes to ashes dust to dust grant me the time to keep rolling before I die or go bust."

[b]2003 Chevy Duramax 3500 LT CC LB 4WD.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #12

Update:

You can now order BrakeSmart controllers direct on-line from them. Price is about $350. Great service. They also have installation manuals on the website so that you can review the installation procedures before deciding to buy. I have my controller sitting on a shelf in my office waiting for the new ride to put it in. Will report back when finished and tested.

http://www.brakesmart.net/index.htm

Sold Dodge 2001.5 2500 QC 4X4 LWB
On Order Dodge 2004.5 3500 QC 4X4 LWB SRW
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications
RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights
Hunter Digital Thermastat Installation
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:17 PM   #13

Is there a difference between the Brakesmart contoller and the Trucontrol? I have seen an ad for the Trucontrol in the February 2004 Trailer Life page #53. Looks like the same box to me, I am going to check on price differences. looks like a great concept, anyone actually towing with one?

2004 Cedar Creek 362BBS Custom (on order). 1994.5 F350 4X4 crewcab longbed Powerstroke Diesel 5 speed 4.10's. Charlie ('65), Michelle ('69), CJ ('93), Jessica ('95) & Brianna the Millenium Baby.

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #14

The TruControl and Brakesmart are the same. It appears that Brakesmart makes both. The TrueControl has Hensley's name on it and on the documentation but its clearly the same. The Brakesmart is available in several colors to match your truck. The Hensley TrueControl is only available in "god awful orange". The TruControl is slightly more expensive. (Well Duh)
I got the TrueControl (I didn't know about the Brakesmart) for Christmas and have it installed but haven't got to tow with it yet.
It was a piece of cake to install. As far as problems with the antilock stuff, the owners manual in the '01 Chevy states that its okay to tap into the brake line with certain restrictions. I used one of the old type hydraulic brake controllers on my '99 Chevy without any problems.

Regards,
Lee