Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Break upgrade. Is it worth the $

I have a 2008 f-350. I will be in need of new breaks before long. I was looking at EBC breaks & rotors but the are costly. About $ 1300 or so. Has anyone used them and are the worth the price? Or any other recommendations. Thanks

2005 Damon Challenger....Just the DW , the Dog and open road ... oh yeah work can't forget work
jeffminsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
I've installed Wagner ThermoQuiet pads and shoes on 2 different vehicles - great product!
Federal-Mogul - Wagner ThermoQuiet Brake Pads and Shoes

I would go to NAPA for Premium or Gold if you need drums/rotors.

IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
I haven't upgraded the truck yet but I am a police officer. I have a Dodge Charger police package with the law enforcement Hemi. The brake rotors were constantly warping from the high speed driving.

The O'reilly rotors, best available, would cost me $80 a piece for the HD police rotors. They warped within two weeks at the high speeds that I drive.

I found www.R1Concepts.com where I could buy two rotors for $120. These rotors were not only cheaper than the O'reilly rotors, but were drilled and slotted for better braking and performance. I bought the ceramic pads to go with them.

4 months later I can hit the brakes at 140 mph and the car stops on a dime and is as smooth as glass. Also, it was free shipping and arrived about 2 days later, regular delivery.

Like I said, I have not upgraded the truck as of yet because I wanted to give these a good test. But after using them for a while, as soon as the brakes need to be replaced on the truck they will get the complete upgrade. Reviews on their website from other users seem to have the same outlook that I have.

Just my opinion.
SUPRCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

Unless you have some specific reason not to, I wouldn't overlook the stock OEM brakes. The last time I checked Ford offered two versions, one an economy style at a cheaper price, and another premium version for more money. I would post your question at one of the Ford truck forums to get an idea of what works best. I recall that the OEM premium brakes were the best bet, that may have changed. My experience is that many times after market replacements are heavy on hype, but little gain for the type of driving you do. I've had no problem in 50k with my stock brakes although I rarely reach 140 while pulling my trailer. Your experience may be different.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Originally Posted by falconman
....although I rarely reach 140 while pulling my trailer.
LOL, I understand he won't be pulling a trailer at 140. My point was that I got a good quality product that was far better than the dealer product for a fraction of the cost. I can't speak for your truck or the quality of the OEM brakes from the dealer for that truck.
SUPRCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

i never liked the brakes on my 2001 F250. I replace the front rotors with non-cryogenic slotted rotors and Hawks ceramic pads. It made all the difference in the world.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Thanks for the info all. I don't think I will see 140 either but who knows. Lol will do more research I have time my pads are about 3/4 gone and I don't drive the truck much. Again thanks
2005 Damon Challenger....Just the DW , the Dog and open road ... oh yeah work can't forget work
jeffminsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
At 109k miles, my 450 is going to need front brakes before long--probably go with frozenrotors.com new rotors and pads. I have never had any good luck with turned rotors on a Ford.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote