Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikes View Post
All fuses are the proper rating. I am a retired Navy electronics technician and have a pretty good handle on such things. I do not have a reason as of yet why they melted but my suspicions lay with the improper maintenance done in New Orleans. In fact, one of their statements on the repair bill was, "performed shake test on FICM cable". The Dallas dealer had to do some repairs on the connector and I am assuming that between the two of them they ruined the connector/wiring harness and some of the pins shorted out causing the meltdown. The dealer working on it now will be closed tomorrow for a state holiday s will not get back to it until Thursday and the best guess for driving away is Friday.

I still do not get the few here anxious to blame this on me! I have done all of the required maintenance on this truck since I bought it and all maintenance was performed by Ford diesel mechanics. In spite of all that has happened I still do like the truck, I just find it to be highly unreliable.
Could be a bad harness from the factory or incorrect routing. Make sure they replace the whole harness, not repair it. I'd be very very pushy about that. Many times people will route a harness wrong, and put too much of a bend in it, or it chaffs up against something or wires can chaff against each other. Or they even pinch the wire inside causing a disconnect. I'd be pushy about getting it fixed correctly.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #30

Very happy with my 2011 Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins. Good luck on your decision,
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #31

I have the 2008 ram 2500 HD megacab with the 6.7 cummins. Love the truck, get 21 mpg on highway, 13 towing, have only had issues with water pump leak, AC blew up, just had the turbo cleaned. All were normal items to me, so I took it at those items can happen at any time. After I get 100,000 on it I will be doing the def delete kit though to get rid of the egr and def filters.
TTCamper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #32

The picture is getting a little more clear now. The harnesses that melted were supposed to be held away from the engine by a stud that a cable tie with a cup mounted to. Apparently the Ford dealer in Dallas did not remount it properly and melted the two cables that go to the FICM and the PCM causing my vacation in the middle of nowhere Utah since Monday. Hopefully they will finish the wiring harness installation today and test the two modules and get on the road again. Ford customer relations here I come.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #33

Yep, wire harness routing is important, i see problems from this all the time. So it's safe to say don't blame the 6.0. Blame the lousy tech.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #34

Hearing this stuff really gets me angry. You guys as the customer take your vehicles to the dealers because you expect top notch service and instead get stuck with someone's hack job because they did not take the time to do it right. The sad thing is, this stuff is easy to do and to get it right the first time. You have my sincerest apologies that you have to go through this because someone in my profession cant take the time to make sure someone's vacation, safety, money, or whatever is not taken care of correctly.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #35

Unless I missed it, what was wrong with the turbo that it required replacement twice? That also has me concerned that those symptoms may come back.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #36

The first turbo failure was due to carbon buildup on the vanes that occurred before I bought the truck. The second was a defective turbo right off the shelf. The FICM was damaged by the short in the wiring so it is being replaced this morning and we will finally be on our way home again.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #37

Quote:
The first turbo failure was due to carbon buildup on the vanes that occurred before I bought the truck. The second was a defective turbo right off the shelf. The FICM was damaged by the short in the wiring so it is being replaced this morning and we will finally be on our way home again.

Your misfortune is why I never bought a 6.0 PS. I found a super clean 05 F350 Scab LB Lariat with 41,000 on it about 3 years ago. I had an Oasis report done and the only thing done to it was a reflash of the tranny. No biggie. Then I went and had an inspection done. They found 3 codes and a bed plate leak. The codes were IIRC, a fan sensor witch, crank sensor and #8 glow plug. The codes were nothing to get excited about but the bed plate leak was quoted as a $2800.00 fix. Really? An 05 with 41,000 on it and a bed plate leak already. Needless to say I said no thanks. Two trucks latter and I own a 12 Ram 2500. Best truck I've owned so far. Power is amazing, EB is great and it tows my 9000lb 5'er like there's no tomorrow.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Your misfortune is why I never bought a 6.0 PS. I found a super clean 05 F350 Scab LB Lariat with 41,000 on it about 3 years ago. I had an Oasis report done and the only thing done to it was a reflash of the tranny. No biggie. Then I went and had an inspection done. They found 3 codes and a bed plate leak. The codes were IIRC, a fan sensor witch, crank sensor and #8 glow plug. The codes were nothing to get excited about but the bed plate leak was quoted as a $2800.00 fix. Really? An 05 with 41,000 on it and a bed plate leak already. Needless to say I said no thanks. Two trucks latter and I own a 12 Ram 2500. Best truck I've owned so far. Power is amazing, EB is great and it tows my 9000lb 5'er like there's no tomorrow.
All the new trucks tow extremely well. They're all pushing 800-850lbs of torque as compared to about 560ft-lbs in the 6.0 and 425-525ft0lbs in the 7.3L.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
All the new trucks tow extremely well. They're all pushing 800-850lbs of torque as compared to about 560ft-lbs in the 6.0 and 425-525ft0lbs in the 7.3L.
So true. When I was looking at the 05 I sneaked in a tow of our last TT (7300lbs). The Oasis report was not loading up because of some error. So the sales guy let me drive it for a few days till the Oasis report came back on. At least that's what he said. I actually saw the on screen message though. Anyway only towed it for 20-25 miles, but towed the same TT with the 12 Ram up the same hill. The 05 6.0 was a 5sp AT and needed to shift to 4th for the hill. The 12 Ram stays in 6th. Both running 3.73 gears. Amazing what these new diesels are capable of doing. And to think guys want to run tuners to get more power.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Might not have been the short in the wiring that caused it. Might have been poor design of the FICM, apparantly it's a common failure item.
Common 6.0L Power Stroke Problems

Quote:
6.0L POWER STROKE FICM FAILURE
The FICM (fuel injection control module, often pronounced "fickem") resides on the driver side valve cover of the 6.0L Power Stroke. The FICM is an electronical component, and is bound to "burn up" at some point. However, engine heat and vibration is known to contribute to premature FICM failures. FICM failures are responsible for a number of rough running, no start, hard start, and stalling conditions. They can be tested and if it needs to be replaced, consider having it professionally rebuilt with a warranty. There are a number of options out there and many of the rebuilds are of higher quality than the originals.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Might not have been the short in the wiring that caused it. Might have been poor design of the FICM, apparantly it's a common failure item.
Common 6.0L Power Stroke Problems
There has been a design change in the FICM for a more robust DC-DC converter. However, the 7.3L IDM was also known to fail over 100K also. Just had to put one in an E series van a few weeks ago. This is partially why I like the newer high pressure common fuel rail systems now that don't use a separate injector driver module.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #42

As an owner of an 05 F350 with the 6.0, I'm on a personal campaign never to buy another new Ford.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote