Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
As an owner of an 05 F350 with the 6.0, I'm on a personal campaign never to buy another new Ford.
Why's that? Did the Ford interior, Ford suspension, Ford transmission, or Ford body let you down below your expectations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #44

Quote:
As an owner of an 05 F350 with the 6.0, I'm on a personal campaign never to buy another new Ford.
How often has the coolant condition been checked and how often or how many engine hours goes between oil changes?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are pulling a 5er then Google: Trail Hauler

You will be shown to a web site where they sell trucks specifically designed to pull 5th wheel trailers.. Not unlike the one parked next to me.

P.S. If you buy one of those there are some questions you won't likely be asking .. Like "Can my truck tow this".. Yup, it can.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #46

Let's see; five turbo failures to start. Fortunately, covered under warranty. Replaced clogged oil/ EGR cooler, FICM on my dime, and last week $1000 repair for cracked/ leaky turbo intake tubing. It now suffers from poor cold starts which I'm told is failing injectors. Had miserable experience with Ford Customer Service regarding one of the turbo failures. Apparently they don't choose to abide by their warranty. Truck has 59,000 miles, all service spot on. I was a Blue Oval fan, still have a 65 Falcon convertible, but I feel that they sold the 6.0 buyers down the river. Just look at the evidence presented in the lawsuit. They knew they had problems, kept throwing money at the repairs but never fixing the underlying problems. Now the warranties are gone, your on your own. Made some lawyers rich, but those of us left will bear the loss of value when it comes time to trade/sell due to its reputation.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #47

Been towing with Duramax for the past 4 years and no breakdowns or any other maintenace issues. Great truck.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Let's see; five turbo failures to start. Fortunately, covered under warranty. Replaced clogged oil/ EGR cooler, FICM on my dime, and last week $1000 repair for cracked/ leaky turbo intake tubing. It now suffers from poor cold starts which I'm told is failing injectors. Had miserable experience with Ford Customer Service regarding one of the turbo failures. Apparently they don't choose to abide by their warranty. Truck has 59,000 miles, all service spot on. I was a Blue Oval fan, still have a 65 Falcon convertible, but I feel that they sold the 6.0 buyers down the river. Just look at the evidence presented in the lawsuit. They knew they had problems, kept throwing money at the repairs but never fixing the underlying problems. Now the warranties are gone, your on your own. Made some lawyers rich, but those of us left will bear the loss of value when it comes time to trade/sell due to its reputation.
What was wrong with the turbos? I ask because way to many techs out there see a P0299 or a few other DTCs and just replace the turbo. The turbo is only bad unless it is leaking oil or seized. If the truck sits for a period of time and not started often, the variable geometry section will get some rust build up and stick. The turbo will need to be partially disassembled and the rust cleaned out. The dealer should have told you that sitting is a bad thing. Because this is a 2005 and only 59K, this tells me that this truck sits for to long. In your case, start the truck ever other week but no longer than a month. If it is humid out, more often. Allow the engine to fully warm up. It is better to drive it because this will get the VGT to move more with the heat. Every customer that I have with a tow 6.0L that sits and has low mileage, I tell them this. No more issues at all.

EGR issues can also cause low boost concerns. Unless the Diesel guy knows what he is doing, many turbo's get replaced for EGR concerns.

The oil cooler clogging is due to the coolant breaking down and causing the cooler to plug. Ford should have been more proactive about this but they were not. However, change the coolant every 2 years or 50K. This should help prevent the clogging issues. Ford makes a iron cleaner for the cooling system and this should help with clearing out the silica. Someone posted that prestone made something also but have not used it.

If the batteries are weak, this can cause FICM issues. Most FICM's last over 100K and don't generally go bad this fast. However it could. But the batteries must be tested and fully charged prior to determining that the FICM is bad.

The injectors are likely ok. The manual states to change the oil every 7500k or 6 months which ever comes first. Im quite certain that the oil is not changed this often. Most injector issues come from stiction (spelling??). This is from the oil in the injectors cooking slightly and causing the moving parts to stick a little. Vans were the worst due to the higher heat in the engine compartment. Injectors can last hundreds of thousands of miles without any issues with well maintained oil changes. For example my sisters 05 has 220k on the clock with original turbo and injectors. Her EGR cooler lasted 195K also. The oil cooler was not clogged on hers, the EGR cooler just gave up. There are several customers that use HotShot Hot Shot's Secret | Lubrication Specialties, Inc. and swear by it. Have seen it work on a truck that had an injector misfire. Worth a try. I have limited experience with it but many customers with very high mileage 6.0L and original injectors swear by it.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Been towing with Duramax for the past 4 years and no breakdowns or any other maintenace issues. Great truck.
My sister has been towing with a 6.0L for 8 years and 225K with only a recent EGR failure last winter. Towing 7 place horse trailer with living quarters. Mostly local towing also. This is not uncommon also with many of my customers that come here for their service.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #50

I can assure you that all maintenance was done at or ahead of schedule. The turbo failures were mostly due to sticky vanes because of low mileage. I never read in the owners manual that I was supposed to keep buying $4 a gal diesel fuel just to overcome a poor design, something I think doesn't apply to other makes. It would be one thing if I was alone with these issues but they are well documented as a wide spread problem. You shouldn't have to spend $50 K on a new truck then spend thousands more just to overcome engineering defects! The real kicker for me was the total indifference by Ford when trying to make a warranty claim on one turbo repair. Ford just dropped the ball on this engine and is washing it's hands from the whole fiasco.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Experience

My Experience with Toyota parallels yours with Ford. When they said 'So, sue us' to end a conversation about multiple failures of the same part I told them I would do better than that - There will never be a Toyota product in my driveway ever again. I made good on that promise. (They still can't build a front end that stays in alignment!)

I've had my F250 for 14 years. Towed trailers & fivers for 12 of them. I do most of my own maintenance and have modded it, chipped it, and abused it like it was stolen! So far the only part that's broken has been the headlight switch, which Ford replaced under warranty.

Two of the most important mods I did was to add a pyrometer and a Turbo Temp Monitor (TTM) that will not allow the engine to shut down until the turbo cools down to less than 300F. Burned oil in the turbo bearings will definately cause premature failure.

Are you using an aftermarket air filter? Could it be that overoiling a reusable filter gummed up the turbo? The other choice is a dusted engine causing excessive blow-by into the vapor recoverey system. Bad, very bad.

If Ford left something out of place and it failed because of that they should have to pay for it. Hope you took pictures.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #52

Quote:
I can assure you that all maintenance was done at or ahead of schedule. The turbo failures were mostly due to sticky vanes because of low mileage. I never read in the owners manual that I was supposed to keep buying $4 a gal diesel fuel just to overcome a poor design, something I think doesn't apply to other makes. It would be one thing if I was alone with these issues but they are well documented as a wide spread problem. You shouldn't have to spend $50 K on a new truck then spend thousands more just to overcome engineering defects! The real kicker for me was the total indifference by Ford when trying to make a warranty claim on one turbo repair. Ford just dropped the ball on this engine and is washing it's hands from the whole fiasco.
Just trying to help out and help you prevent future issues. Even if the truck was 100K there are maint cost no matter what. Diesels are designed to be worked and not just sit around. You can use this info to help yourself or just continue to have problems.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #53

The air filter is stock. I have a pyro gauge, fuel pressure gauge with blue spring upgrade, scan guage, pretty much watch everything. That's how I knew the oil cooler was going south.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #54

I appreciate the info but not all problems are from lack of maintenance or customer problems. Sometimes it's because the product is defective. I'm not the only one with such issues, as well documented. Ford put these engines out early knowing there were problems with the intent of fixing them under warranty until engineering updates could take care of the problem which never happened. As far as coolant changes every two years to help prevent clogging oil coolers, try taking a two year old truck into a dealer to have the coolant changed under warranty as a "preventative measure" expecting Ford to pay for it, good luck. Ford wouldn't acknowledge the problems untill a lawsuit made them. We've been fulltime for three years now so we use and maintain the truck. I expect maintence issues and will deal with them. My next fear is the head gaskets, another documented weakness. How does one one prevent that? Keep boost down, baby the engine? That's not what I bought this engine for.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #55

Quote:
I appreciate the info but not all problems are from lack of maintenance or customer problems. Sometimes it's because the product is defective. I'm not the only one with such issues, as well documented. Ford put these engines out early knowing there were problems with the intent of fixing them under warranty until engineering updates could take care of the problem which never happened. As far as coolant changes every two years to help prevent clogging oil coolers, try taking a two year old truck into a dealer to have the coolant changed under warranty as a "preventative measure" expecting Ford to pay for it, good luck. Ford wouldn't acknowledge the problems untill a lawsuit made them. We've been fulltime for three years now so we use and maintain the truck. I expect maintence issues and will deal with them. My next fear is the head gaskets, another documented weakness. How does one one prevent that? Keep boost down, baby the engine? That's not what I bought this engine for.
I already agreed that the coolant issue was more on Ford/Internationals side however if it is under warranty, let them take care of the problems. If it is on your dime, this is how to help prevent future issues. Most head gasket issues stems from modified trucks with higher than stock boost and cylinder pressure levels. Even most aftermarket companies that sell studs even say stock trucks tend to not have any head bolt stretching issues. The gaskets are not the problem, it is the torque to yield head bolts that other diesel engines have (like duramax). Replaced head gaskets on them also.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #56

almost for got to mention. Most of the injector failures I have seen were on trucks that had programmers. I cannot say for sure that it was related to that or possible oil issues but I do find it a strange coincidence that most injector failures were on modified calibrations. Just food for thought.