Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #1

Bucking Kodiak C4500

I bought a New 2007 Kodiak C4500, 2wd, with the Monroe up fit, pickup bed with the companion 5th wheel hitch and goose neck hitch December 12th, 2009, still under warranty. I tow a 40' Teton 5th Wheel. While driving about 20 to 25 mph at 1800 rpm. The truck starts to buck real badly. I have to accelerate through the problem. I took the truck to a medium duty Chevrolet dealer. They put in a new fuel pump regulator last month. I just pulled a dump trailer with 3 yards of top soil and it happened again. Monroe tells me they have never heard of the problem. Anyone have an idea?
OldRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

Do you have any type of shock-absorbing system (MorRyde, TrailAir, Trailrsaver?) on the trailer pin box? If not, then I would suggest one of those as a solution.

By the way, the Companion is limited to 18000 lbs max--isn't a 40' Teton pushing that limit some?

I have a Mobile Suites, 17,040lbs, and a Companion hitch using a MorRyde hitch box and it works pretty good, but still there is some bucking to put up with.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Joe,

If you will cut 2 each 3"x3"x1/4" or 3/8" (IIRC) angle iron rails to the available length of the bed (in my case, from the below-the-rail floor-mounted toolbox at the front of the bed to the tailgate - about 6' long) and lay them on the bed, then set the companion 5th wheel hitch base on their flat sides before you pull it down with the top bolt, you'll be amazed how much stability it adds and how it will almost totally eliminate the fore-and-aft bucking by stiffening the area on which the companion 5th wheel base sits and by spreading the loads over the full available length of the bed floor. The rails also keep the companion 5th wheel hitch base from denting and wearing the spray-on bedliner on the bed floor.

I first started using these rails on our 2002 Dodge Ram and kept them for use with our new truck. You can dress them up with a grinder to round off any sharp corners and then spray them (I believe we used a textured Rustoleum paint) to match your bedliner or bed floor.

These rails cut out probably 85% of the bucking when our Mobile Suites still had the solid pin box. Since we've switched it out to a Demco Glide-Rite pin box, the bucking is 99% gone - the only time I have ever noticed any bucking whatsoever (and that was with the 2002 Ram) was under extremely hard braking on a severely washboarded road surface, and even then it was greatly reduced.

Just a tip that costs very little $$$ that you might want to try.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #4

Rusty

Could you PM me at: joejd at aol.com please?

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Joe,

e-mail sent.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #6

I have been using the companion Gooseneck hitch rated for 30,000 pds. still bucks.
OldRanger is offline   Reply With Quote