Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Buick Enclave

It's time to trade in my dodge ram 1500. Looking at the Buick Enclave. Towing cap is 5000lbs. Trailer is a Cikira 187FB max weight is 5000lbs . Have a WD hitch. Do you think this is too close for comfort. The trailer is never loaded to the max weight.

AirZone
AirZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirZone View Post
The trailer is never loaded to the max weight.
It would probably be ok locally. But what all is in the Buick and what drivetrain do you have?
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

I towed a 5,000lb trailer with a Honda Ridgeline which was rated to tow 5,000lbs. I bought a F-150 within a year.
The trailer would wag the Ridgeline like a dog.

That is just a mid-size soft riding SUV. Not really a tow vehicle.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
You will be miserable towing with the Enclave. I have a family member who tried towing an aluminum snowmobile trailer with one. Even a light weight trailer like that taxed it and the transmission was very sloppy. Not a tow vehicle at all... If you want something that size to tow, stick with a GC or Durango with the Hemi. Both are outstanding haulers.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
You will be miserable towing with the Enclave. I have a family member who tried towing an aluminum snowmobile trailer with one. Even a light weight trailer like that taxed it and the transmission was very sloppy. Not a tow vehicle at all... If you want something that size to tow, stick with a GC or Durango with the Hemi. Both are outstanding haulers.
+1 on this, the GC and durango have the same powertrain as the 1500 half ton.

Also, if you are going to buy new, you might want to consider the 2015 expedition. They are putting the ecoboost into it, so it should tow very well and get decent fuel mileage unloaded.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
+1 on this, the GC and durango have the same powertrain as the 1500 half ton.

Also, if you are going to buy new, you might want to consider the 2015 expedition. They are putting the ecoboost into it, so it should tow very well and get decent fuel mileage unloaded.
The Ford Explorer Sport also comes with the ecoboost and is rated to 5k. I would still prefer something heavier like the GC, Durango, or if you want a little bigger, yes the Expy but that's a larger class of vehicle. It's too bad Ford and GM dropped their heavier mid size SUVs. Chrysler has the market cornered now. That said, my wife's previous 08 Grand Cherokee and her current 12 Durango, both with the Hemi, tow our 6500 lb / 30 foot boat-trailer combo like it's not back there. Very capable.

To clarify, there's nothing wrong with the Enclave. My mother has one and it's a great comfortable vehicle. It's just not setup to tow well. It's built for comfort and to be smooth as opposed to a capable hauler.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your right about the Durango (V-8) corning the mid sized SUV towing market. We had a 05' Toyota 4Runner V-8 (rated at 7200 lbs) that was an all-around great tow vehicle and as a daily driver. After 09' they stopped putting V-8's in the Runner. Now just the V-6 rated at 5000. Had to go with the Tundra.

I think the Enclave is made first for the ride, and never really marketed to tow. You can still do it, but if you bought it and found out it was a bear to tow near it's limit, then you would either have to trade again or buy another vehicle just to tow your RV.

I would recommended the V-6 4Runner, but personally I don't like the styling of the new ones. I thought my 05' was more sleek looking. 9 years old and they gave me 14k as a trade on the Tundra. Dodge would only give me 8k if I traded for a Durango. Plus they never had a V-8 Hemi to test drive. Ten V-6 Durango's on the lot. The only V-8 sat in the showroom for 3 months.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I towed our little 18' with a Chevy trailblazer and we were blown all over the road by everything from semis to vw beetles. And that's with Wdh and anti sway. At 55 mph we got 14-16 mpg. I'm all about goin easy and not rushing, but long term? No way Jose. I don't know much about the 1500s, but their towing capacity is the same as trailblazer so I chose 2500 or bigger. Now I can keep up with traffic and not be blown off the road. I would NOT go mid size SUV. Bent there are plenty of people out there doing it and enjoying life. I sold trailblazer on Sunday and couldn't be happier seeing it go. Got my duramax last month and even happier than seeing trailblazer go.

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4
2013 Coleman 15bh 18'
1999 Ranger R91i w/yamaha 200
normgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Also, I have not pulled my TT yet. But I have pulled boat with truck. And it has pulled the boat over the big bridge here that used to bog down and kill the trailblazer. It pulled it up and over the i bridge with cruise set at 65 in 6 gear at 1800 rpm and didn't budge up or down the bridge. Was smooth sailing!

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4
2013 Coleman 15bh 18'
1999 Ranger R91i w/yamaha 200
normgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 AM   #10

The Dodge Ram 1500 tows the 19ft trailer like it's not even there. But it is time to trade in the 2010 Ram and it's the wife's daily driver and she wants an SUV again. (Happy wife happy life). Going to go and look at the Durango's this weekend. Their tow package is pretty close to the pick ups.

AirZone
Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Look at the 2015 Yukon/Taho they are really nice and would pull it with trailer pkg.
bsjulestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #12

Tahoe's are really nice, but the price tag is a little out of range. Think I will stick with the Enclave. The Durango's rear seating does not fold down flat and not suitable for the 2 big dogs that come with us.

AirZone
Ontario Canada
187FB Classic Cruiser.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirZone View Post
Tahoe's are really nice, but the price tag is a little out of range. Think I will stick with the Enclave. The Durango's rear seating does not fold down flat and not suitable for the 2 big dogs that come with us.

AirZone
Ontario Canada
187FB Classic Cruiser.
Um what?

Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

?

AirZone
Ontario Canada
187FB Classic Cruiser.