Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #1

Built in solar connection?

I just purchased a 2016 Keystone Bullet TT. It seems to have a built in connection for solar panels. The connection looks like a Zamp Solar connection from what I have found online. The dealer didn't give any information on it. I have no information in any of my manuals. Has anyone else seen this or have one? Any info is appreciated.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have no information about your particular question, but I am very happy with my Z Amp portable RV solar panels. I had a controller go bad, sent it to them, had a replacement in my hands the same week. I'm a very happy customer.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The connector is same as Zamp, or is a Zamp connector. It is also known as an SAE connector. Used in many applications, automotive, sound, solar(!), etc. The plug with a pigtail on it, can be found almost anywhere!! Many wire gauges also avail.

Here is a plug sample: Quick Disconnect Wire Harness 2 Pin SAE Connector 12 Gauge PC120 | eBay

Zamp and some other portable solar panel setups use this connection. Can just place panel in best location, and plug in!! Most portable systems over 10 or 15 watts should have a controller attached or incorporated into the setup. The plug on the trailer probably goes directly to battery, so anything 10 watts or lower could be directly connected. Over 10 need a controller!! Keystone may be able to pdf a wiring diagram for your trailer model so you can find out how the plug is wired.

If you do your own connection for a panel or (?), double check the polarity carefully. Easy to flip the connections along the way, esp when using only a single plug and wire vs a cut apart loop style.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

If you are thinking of adding solar, there are charts that indicate how large the wire from the roof needs to be based on the amount of solar (watts) and the distance between the panels and the solar controller. Here is a link to a great resource. RV Electrical
Old 09-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I have solar panels and a charge controller. I have confirmed polarity. I'm just the kind of person that craves info and it bothers me that I have no information from Keystone regarding the solar wiring.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar