Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 05:38 AM   #1

Bumper Pull Dilemma

Currently we pull a travel trailer which when fully loaded weighs about 7500 pounds and is about 32 feet long. It pulls very nicely with my ton diesel truck and weight distribution hitch, not any sweat on hills or sway to speak of. My question is how would this setup compare with a travel trailer that is about the same length but a ton heavier? I like my bumper pull setup as I have a cap on the truck bed and would not like giving up that space. We only travel and camp 4 or 5 times a year so rigging my truck for a 5th wheel is a non starter with me. The trailers I have been considering are 4 season models with 2 or more slides. Anyone have experience going from bumper pulling a light trailer and moving up to 10,000 pound class? Opinions welcome

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 07:07 AM   #2

First of all 7500lbs is not light. You will need to go through the dreaded numbers evaluation game. You will need to find out the weight and load specs of your truck and trailer then do the math. Having the actual weights will be the best but go heavy if you do not know them. A new 3/4 ton diesel will probably be ok but numbers do not lie.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:24 AM   #3

If it handles 7500 lbs no sweat, 9500 should be no issue. Remember, YOUR opinion is the one that matters, and only you can tell if you're comfortable with your setup.

The some will say that you might pass the payload capacity of a 3/4 ton and need a dually to pull that, but late model 3/4 tons are limited mostly due to legal limits and not mechanical.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
The some will say that you might pass the payload capacity of a 3/4 ton and need a dually to pull that, but late model 3/4 tons are limited mostly due to legal limits and not mechanical.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPlant View Post
My question is how would this setup compare with a travel trailer that is about the same length but a ton heavier?
Going from 7,500 to 10,000 pound TT should be no problem for a 3/4-ton diesel tow vehicle with an excellent weight-distributing (WD) hitch rated for 1400 pounds tongue weight (TW) or more.

The WD hitch would be my main concern. No cheap hitches rated for less than 1,400 TW allowed. If you can afford a 10k TT, you can afford to hook it up right with a ProPride hitch rated for 1,400 pounds TW.
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P

But if the $2,400 cost scares you off, then at least hook up with one of three good but affordable hitches. Three hitches in the "affordable" class jump to my mind.

1. Reese Strait-Line Trunnion bar. Reese also makes cheap hitches, so be sure it's a Strait-Line. Round bars drag on the ground so be sure it's a trunnion bar design.
Reese Strait-Line 66130

2. Blue Ox Sway-Pro.
Blue Ox SwayPro

3. Equalizer.
http://www.reesehitches.com/products..._lb,90-00-1400

Of course, with that much trailer you have to load it right, to achieve hitch weight of 12% to 14%. Use a good tongue weight scale and double-check the tongue weight every time before you hook up to the trailer. If you don't already have one, here's one like mine:
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The TT I have is about where you are now. I also have a shell camper and like it. But if I were looking to go up to a 5 ton TT I would really look at going to a 5th wheel to move the weight on the truck forward and gain an overall shorter RV. 5th wheels have lots of storage and room for a gen.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
But if I were looking to go up to a 5 ton TT I would really look at going to a 5th wheel to move the weight on the truck forward ....
A good WD hitch moves the weight forward to the rear axle of the truck. My TT with ProPride hitch tows as good as my 5er. Even my cargo trailer with Reese Strait-line hitch tows as good as my 5er. So pay the big bucks for a good weight-distributing hitch and the trailer will tow as good as a 5er.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

You will notice the difference in weight, but your truck should be fine. If you don't have an exhaust brake, consider one.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #9

Thanks all for the good info! My hitch is a Blue Ox SwayPro with the 1500 lb spring bars . The truck is a 2012 Silverado with the trailer package and exhaust brake. I am going to try to keep the TT under 5 tons with a quality built suspension system.