Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
Bumper Pull vs. 5th Wheel/Goose Neck?

Which is going to have the most articulation for pulling off road/back woods? Often times I've got my truck in 4 Lo when crawling back into campsites. Friends with 5th wheels have told me that they start rubbing under the front bed area on the truck's bedrails pretty quickly when on mountainy, off-camber ground.

2006.5 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Short Box Crew Cab LBZ Duramax/Allison, 6" lift, 35" Toyo's, Diamondback ATV Carrier, 2015 Nash 25C Travel Trailer, (2) 2008 Grizzly 700 EPS ATV's.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For articulation only, bumper pull has the advantage. And military and farm rigs use pintle vs ball hitches for best articulation...how extreme do you want to go?

Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Which is going to have the most articulation for pulling off road/back woods? Often times I've got my truck in 4 Lo when crawling back into campsites. Friends with 5th wheels have told me that they start rubbing under the front bed area on the truck's bedrails pretty quickly when on mountainy, off-camber ground.
Both the fifth wheel and the gooseneck hitch on the same trailer and on the same jeep trail will have bed to trailer contact at the same place on the road.

So assuming we're discussing only RV trailers, then the type of hitch doesn't matter - provided the 5er hitch has 4-way tilt. You want at least 6" of clearance between the back corner of the bed and the underside of the trailer's overhang if you plan on moderate off-road trails. 8" clearance for relatively rough trails, and 12" or more for "jeep" trails.

On an RV trailer, swapping the kingpin for a gooseneck conversion is useless if you don't increase the clearance between trailer and the top of the bedrail. The only way to increase clearance while maintaining a level trailer is to either lower the tow vehicle or raise the trailer on its' suspension. Or both.

The old saw that gooseneck hitch was better than a 5er for rough terrain dates back to the old days when goosenecks were first available. 5er hitches of those days did not have 4-way tilt, so if the trailer and tow vehicle were at different angles, there was a lot of strain on the frame of the truck and the frame of the hitch. So construction equipment trailers, livestock trailers and utility trailers that are often used in the rough stuff had gooseneck hitches. Plus the front of the gooseneck trailer was designed so the overhang was narrow and wouldn't contact the top of the bedrail on most terrain.

But an RV trailer with 8' or 8.5' wide overhang and a flat nose is going to contact the top of the bedrail on rough terrain if you don't have adequate clearance of 8" to 12" between trailer and bed, regardless of whether your hitch is a gooseneck or 5er hitch. My 5er mashed the top of the bedrail on my pickup when crossing a dip between street and convenience store parking lot

The only reason to replace your kingpin with a gooseneck conversion is if you have several gooseneck trailers and only one fifth wheel trailer. Lots of ranchers around here convert their RV trailers o gooseneck so they can use the same hitch for both types of tailers. But they still cannot drag that RV trailer up a Jeep trail without trailer to bed contact, unless they raise the trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote

5th wheel