RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #1

Bunkhouse, grandkids and towing vehicle

Hi all,
I'm getting into grandfather territory and find myself confused about choice of travel trailer and tow vehicle.
Let's say you invest in a Bunkhouse that sleeps 9 or 10 people thinking you'll go on great adventures and make memories with the little ones.
How do you transport those 9 or 10 people? Do you end up driving two vehicles?
Thanks
JD

Davis3792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #2

You can always have your kids drop the grands off where you are camping. Another option is the multi car avenue or you do it in shifts. Take 3-4 with you at a time. Have fun.

tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. A friend has 5 grandchildren. As tbos1958 suggested, my friend often takes 1, 2 or 3 at a time which allows he and his wife to give more individualized attention and makes it easier to manage. Another trick he uses is to give each grandchild a hand full of quarters. Whenever one misbehaves, they lose a quarter. Wouldn't have worked for me when I was a kid because I would have seen it as an opportunity to pay to misbehave. But, seems to work with his grandkids who are much nicer than I was as a child.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

I have a 36' bunkhouse trailer with 4 slides. My bunkhouse has a leather J bed with a drop down bed above that. The other side has one bed down, and a double bed up a ladder.

We carry 2 grandkids with us, and that's about the limits to my nerves.

Thank goodness our campground has a strong WIFI signal and a good cable tv hookup. The tablets keep'em quiet.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, JD and and to our campfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis3792 View Post
How do you transport those 9 or 10 people? Do you end up driving two vehicles?
That's one way. Another way is to use a "one ton" 12 or 15 pax van as your tow vehicle. But pay attention to trailer weight because most new passenger vans do not have enough GVWR and payload capacity to haul 9 or 10 people plus the hitch weight of a decent-size wet and loaded bunkhouse travel trailer without being overloaded.

One way to get a 12-pax van with more payload capacity is to start with a GM 3500 commercial cargo van with the highest GVWR offered, then add seats from the bone yard. Order the new van with windows all around and the fanciest interior trim they make with front an rear AC. Only GM right now because current Ford and Ram passenger Euro-vans don't have enough payload capacity to safely meet your needs.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #6

The real answer is they don't sleep 9 or 10 people, and least not for very long, and not without the risk of violence breaking out. We have maxed out the capacity on our bunkhouse TT, but not because we planned it that way (think someone else rig breaks down on the way to the site). 9 or 10 people of any age gets pretty cramped in a TT for more than a day or two.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

Only once in my camping life have I explored the sleeping limitations of a coach. It was in the late 90s, and those occupying the coach were me and my sister, my parents, and my grandparents. The coach was a 1980 Allegro 28í class A with 2 pull out sofas, a collapsible dinette and a fold down bunk over the cab.
That lasted 3 nights of a 1 week vacation.
My parents and grandparents took a vacation from one another for several weeks following.
Since then, Iíve always been amused by the number of people a unit is said to sleep. As I canít ever see that as being a reality.
My Coachman now is said to sleep 7. Sometimes the 4 of us seems too much.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #8

Our 02 36' Foretravel sleeps 3.5 comfortable ..

We fit 6 in their tight. 2 in the bedroom, Daughter and Son-inlaw on the couch, My grandbaby in the crib in the dinette area and my son on the blow mattress next to the crib.. Kinda hard to get to coffee in the Am but I wouldnt have it any other way..

I Tow a Buick Enclave that sits 7.. they do have an option for seating 8.. smaller and easy to tow.. Works for us.. Other option is the kids bring their car.. and meet us .. typically we camp within a few hundred miles of home and they meet us from Phoenix.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #9

My TT officially sleeps 9. Two in the main bed. Two on the table that converts into a bed. One on the fold out couch. And one on each of the 4 bunkhouse bunks.

In the real world, it sleeps a couple in the main bed, one on the table, one on each of the 4 bunks, and nobody on the folding couch. That's a total of 7, not 9. Actually having 7 people trying to do anything other than sleep is a completely different story. It would be a mad house! You can only reasonably have about 4 people in it for any length of time. Even then, you'd be tripping over each other.

If I were going to actually try to transport 10 people, yes it would take two vehicles. My trips are too far to drive several times to get everyone there.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:25 PM   #10

Solution is a small/medium sized TT for you two, and your children buy the big bunkhouse with the big tow vehicle!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
Solution is a small/medium sized TT for you two, and your children buy the big bunkhouse with the big tow vehicle!
Thats what we did! LOL!

hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunkhouse, tow, towing