Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #1

Burning Rubber Smell

Hi,

I took my 20' hybrid out for a drive yesterday after dewinterizing it. While pulling it, I could smell a burning rubber smell coming from what I think was my 2012 Ford Explorer engine. This is my 2nd year with the camper and it did the same thing last year the first time I pulled it but I only smelled it that one trip and did not smell it on trips made after. I know this is an RV forum and not a tow vehicle forum but just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if its normal? Maybe the engine is running hotter when pulling?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtilley View Post
Hi,

I took my 20' hybrid out for a drive yesterday after dewinterizing it. While pulling it, I could smell a burning rubber smell coming from what I think was my 2012 Ford Explorer engine. This is my 2nd year with the camper and it did the same thing last year the first time I pulled it but I only smelled it that one trip and did not smell it on trips made after. I know this is an RV forum and not a tow vehicle forum but just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if its normal? Maybe the engine is running hotter when pulling?

Thanks!
Common problem (if you can call it a problem) with vehicles being towed. What you are smelling is rubber residue off the road that accumulates on the exhaust system. Since there is no heat to burn it off, the first time you drive the vehicle, the residue is burned off. Hence the burning rubber smell. Some vehicles are worse than others depending on how the Exhaust System is designed.
Don't worry, drive it like you own it.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

Oops, I didn't read your post properly and "Assumed" the Ford was being towed.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
I took my 20' hybrid out for a drive yesterday after dewinterizing it. While pulling it, I could smell a burning rubber smell coming from what I think was my 2012 Ford Explorer engine.
flashtilley
Could it be a slipping V belt?
Or a failing serpentine belt?
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
flashtilley
Could it be a slipping V belt?
Or a failing serpentine belt?
Mel
I guess its possible but if that was the case, I should be smelling it on every trip not just the first trip.. the vehicle is fairly new. I probably should check the Ford forums. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Common problem (if you can call it a problem) with vehicles being towed. What you are smelling is rubber residue off the road that accumulates on the exhaust system. Since there is no heat to burn it off, the first time you drive the vehicle, the residue is burned off. Hence the burning rubber smell. Some vehicles are worse than others depending on how the Exhaust System is designed.
Don't worry, drive it like you own it.
Dennis, you just solved a great mystery for me. Happens on our Chevy Equinox after towing. Could never figure out where the rubber smell was always coming from until now!

Thank you,
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi,
I took my 20' hybrid out for a drive yesterday after dewinterizing it. While pulling it, I could smell a burning rubber smell coming from what I think was my 2012 Ford Explorer engine. This is my 2nd year with the camper and it did the same thing last year the first time I pulled it but I only smelled it that one trip and did not smell it on trips made after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Common problem with vehicles being towed. What you are smelling is rubber residue off the road that accumulates on the exhaust system. Since there is no heat to burn it off, the first time you drive the vehicle, the residue is burned off. Hence the burning rubber smell. Some vehicles are worse than others depending on how the Exhaust System is designed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Dennis, you just solved a great mystery for me. Happens on our Chevy Equinox after towing. Could never figure out where the rubber smell was always coming from until now!
Stano
Although Dennis's reply answered the question you didn't ask, it doesn't answer the question flashtilley did ask in the original post!

If
I deciphered the original question correctly I believe that flashtilley wants to know why he smells a burning rubber smell coming from his 2012 Ford Explorer engine while he is pulling it for the first time each year.

However, I'm really not sure that that is right, (but I did the best I could with what I had to work with).
Unless flashtilley explians his question, we may never know!

BTW, I'm more confused now than when I first read the question.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #8

the problem is that the OP is talking about their tow vehicle, not a toad.
and we have motorhome owners answering, thinking that the OP is talking about their Explorer as a toad, which is not the OP is using it for.

this Forum section is for people who own and tow a hybrid travel trailer and probably aren't interested in posts about motorhome toads.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
and we have motorhome owners answering, thinking that the OP is talking about their Explorer as a toad, which is not the OP is using it for.

this Forum section is for people who own and tow a hybrid travel trailer and probably aren't interested in posts about motorhome toads.
bikendan
I disagree!
IMO, the problem is: NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THE OP IS TALKING ABOUT!
Mel
Old 05-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

bikendan is exactly correct. My original post clearly states that. Problem is with tow vehicle.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Quote:
bikendan is exactly correct. My original post clearly states that. Problem is with tow vehicle.
bikendan
You where right!
How on earth did you figure it out?
I read and reread the OP a number of times and I couldn't.
Isn't a 2012 Ford Explorer a toad?
If not, Oops!
Mel
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
as your towing a load the engine and water heats up more and stays hotter for a longer time, hence your electric fan will come on and stay on longer, draining your battery and making the alternator work harder causing a little belt slippage, the reason you dont smell the "burning rubber" when not towing is the fan is working far less when not towing, on my truck my fan is air activated driven by my belt, so the air clutch just spin's freely, but I thought my engine fell out of my truck the first time it came on pulling 1800 RMP's, and yes I had to check my shorts after that, I had a burning rubber smell as the fan tried to catch up to the engine RPM's
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell