Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Buying 5th wheel hitch....suggestions

I'm buying a 5th wheel hitch and new to this. I'll be putting it on a chevy dually to tow a 11-12k fifth wheel. I've been told get a 20k hitch so I won't have to worry in the future if I get a heavier trailer. What brand? What should I expect to pay. I've been quoted $1200 from a rv dealer. I plan to check truck and trailer stores also. Thanks in advance

Ghost

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Hiya Ghost; I've learned that hitches can get very pricey as you move up in wieght. One thing to consider is how much your truck can actually haul.

My logic is that if the truck can haul a 16,000 pound 5th wheel, then an 18 or 20k hitch will give you plenty of safety margin.

Of course, having said that, I am about to whack a 32k hitch into my new F-450...

DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Curt hitches
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #4

I had the same truck (3500 diesel dually) towing a 40' Weekend Warrior 5ver. I used the Reese Elite series 18K hitch. It wasn't the cheapest hitch, but it looked great and was fully adjustable. It removes completely from the bed of the truck with no visible rails.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone....I'll start calling around next week to check on a hitch. I just made a deal on a new 5th Wheel so i will need one soon.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
What is the best hitch for 5th wheel 2008 Carriage Cameo F37R3 my Truck is a 2008 Chevy 3500HD crew cab long box Duly Duramax® 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

I put a Reese 18k elite with underbed mounts in my 2500. It can slide if you need it and can be completely removed by pulling 4 pins if you need your truck to haul something.

I think it basically comes down to price and features. All will do the job if you buy a big enough hitch for what you are hauling. Definitely you want something that is fool-proofing for locking.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone using or use a pull rite hitch? If so what do you think? I've heard a lot about Reese, but calling around everyone seems to suggest pull rite.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #9

I inherited a pullrite. Its a good hitch but i've had some learning curves. It seems with any pressure on the kingpin, its very difficult to unhitch.
I like the full pivot reese hitches but its hard for me to justify a switch because of cost.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I may be going with the Reese 16 hitch. The owner no longer has a fifth wheel so I plan to put it in my truck. Sounds like someone here has one and seems like Reese is a preffered hitch.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #11

Had a 16K Pullrite Superglide on previous RV. Fully automatic sliding action with no action required to make it work (some sliders require pulling a lever, apply trailer brakes, pull truck forward) - that's a lot to do if you're pulling into the gas station and have to make a sharp turn. Has an excellent latch and wrap-around jaw design.
New truck has a 20.5K Pullrite - non sliding. Both hitches can be hard to unlatch if there's any forward pressure. I just block the trailer tires, put the front jacks down, leave the truck idling in reverse and un-hook. Never been a problem once you know how it works.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Anyone using or use a pull rite hitch? If so what do you think? I've heard a lot about Reese, but calling around everyone seems to suggest pull rite.
I have a Pull-Rite and its a nice hitch, works great. I bent the release pin and Pull-Rite sent a new one at no charge.
Good product, Great customer service
Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
The PullRite SuperGlide is a wonderful hitch for a short-bed pickup dragging a 5er. But it's overkill for your long-bed dually. They work great, and would work great for your use, but they are very heavy so they are a handful to move in and out of the truck. Since you don't need the automagic sliding capability of the SuperGlide, save your money and buy a cheaper, lighter, 5er hitch.

For a 5er that won't gross more than 12k, then a 16k hitch is all you need. If you can put up with the bedrails in the bed, then the Reese 16k 5er hitch works great. I used one for over 100,000 miles over ten years.
Fifth Wheel for 2010 Chevrolet Silverado | etrailer.com

If you can't stand to have the bedrails left in the bed when the hitch is removed, it takes about a half hour to remove the bedrails each time. Or you can pay a lot more money and install a 5er hitch with under-bed rails. The Reese Elite 5er hitch is the one Ford installs at the factory in new Fords, and it works great. But not cheap.
Fifth Wheel for 2010 Chevrolet Silverado | etrailer.com

Some people prefer the B&W Companion 5er hitch. It fits into the B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck mounting. First you must install the B&W turnover ball gooseneck under-bed framework:
Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories

Then you add the B&W Companion 5er hitch:
B&W Companion 5Th Wheel Hitch - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
SmokeyWren thanks for that information. I think I'm going with the 16k reese. What's the difference between the pro series and elite? I see the price is a lot different. Will the pro work? I don't mind the rails because my truck will be used mainly to tow the camper.The rails are not an issue for me, if i need to haul something I'll work around them. when I'm not towing I have my bed cover on anyway.