Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #15

An update on my TT search since I would prefer to stay with my new TV at this time. I have it about narrowed down to a 2010 Jayco 17C Jay Feather EXP TT which is on hold for us at a local dealer waiting my decision. This is a great size and floor plan for the three of us with room to bring two friends along. I was looking for a used starter, but have not had any luck in my search for one that is worth buying. The dealer had an RV show price which was about the same as RVDirect's quote as a comparison.
The TT: UVW is 2,935 and GVW is 3,500.
Dry hitch weight is 480 (a little high for the size?)
My loaded vehicle (per the scale) was 5,700 (I may have loaded a little heavy to be on the safe side too, thus reducing the cargo in the TT).
Max tow weight is 5,100 and GVW of TV is 6,400 and GCWR is 10,000.
If I am correct in my calculations:
5,700 + 480 = 6,180 TV (generous) and TT GVW at 3,300 = 9,480.
An important note, I didn't know to include the hitch weight before,
however, I will still be under the GCWR. With the 3.42 axle, I assume I will still be ok. My plan is to add the auxillary tranny cooler, equilizer 600/6000, and probably the scanguage II. I already added the brake controller. Not sure what else I will need if anything. (mirrors?) I understand others are successfully towing much larger TTs with the same vehicle, Envoy XL.
Just to mention, in the running is a 2010 Wildwood x-lite 17EX, but not sure about the aluminum vs the fiberglass with the Jayco that I liked and the Wildwood added a few hundred pounds at 3,800 GVW.
This site is very helpful... Thanks to all!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You've done a wonderful job doing all your calculations & you can be confident in your choice of TT. For safe towing, you should get auxillary mirrors. You can get either the kind that clip onto your existing tow vehicle mirrors or go with McKesh strap on (or similar style) mirrors. I would suggest a sway controller to help stabilize your set while towing. Get some good wheel chocks so your TT doesn't go anywhere once it's parked/unhooked from your tow vehicle & either cut a 2x10 board into sections (cheapest) or get leveler blocks for times when your parking surface isn't level. And, although it isn't all encompassing, this is a decent, basic checklist of items you may need.

I did take a peek at the floorplans of the Jayco & Wildwood. The bigger beds, the pantry & lav counterspace in the Jayco put it ahead of the Wildwood in my book, FWIW.
Enjoy!

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I noticed you listed a used 02' Aerolite Cub model #236. You can't go wrong with that floorplan. That year I believe they were 7 1/2' wide, in 05' they went to 8' wide. You will never find a TT with more counter space and cabinets. Our 05' Cub #236 we will have 250+ nights in the 5 years since we bought it in May 05'. Our V-8 Toyota can pull 7200. I'm going to guess were at 4500lbs. loaded. I don't think I would even think about pulling with a V-6 Toyota. We use a anti-sway bar, but will still get some sway above 65mph. I usually travel at 58mph to get the best gas milage (12 to 12.5). As far as "aluminum vs the fiberglass", I would go with the fiberglass. Much easier to keep clean and waxed. Now you said the Wildwood had GVW of 3800. Didn't the used 02' Cub come in at that also?

Quote:
live in southern Ohio and traveling to places such as TN with the hills is my concern.
Of course the three sales people at three different dealerships have said that both are ok for my vehicle. Their point was that max stuff I would bring is 500 lbs.
In the inside cabinet our #236 Aerolite says it is 3850lbs. I'm only guessing I'm at 4500. Printed cargo cap. is listed at 1112lbs. I make it a point to pack light. But on our week or longer trips, besides the normal stuff in cabinets I'll have: 3 bikes (on back of trailer), 2 boxes of firewood (40 lbs.), inflatable kayak (30 lbs), 2 lawn chairs (25 lbs), shoe tote (20 lbs), 3 cases soda and water (35 lbs), outdoor mat (15 lbs). It all starts to add up.

I little story here:

First off we have owned 3 Toyota 4-runners.

The first was a 90' 4 Runner with a 150 HP V-6. We were tent camping at this time. There is a monster hill at one of the places we camp a lot at in Western PA. By the time we peaked the top of the hill we were at 15 - 20mph.

Next was a 99' 4-Runner with a 183HP. V-6 at which time we upgraded to a medium sized Coleman pop-up. At the top of the hill we would be at about 20 - 25mph.

Next came the 05' 4 Runner with a 272HP. V-8 with the Aerolite hybrid. At the top of the same hill we will be at about 20-25 MPH.

The whole hill is about 2 mile, but the last 1/2 mile is rather steep. The road is rather straight so you can get a good head of steam up on some sections. But that last 1/2 mile is a killer.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #18

I understand your story on the towing scenarios, very good point. I agree about the Aero, very nice TT with tons of storage and unbelievable counterspace. You are lucky to own and enjoy yours. Unfortunately, too much for my TV. I would say it is the same with the wildwood as you pointed out, so that choice is out. I see how the supplies can add up in weight. I do plan on weighing everything to get a good idea of what I will have to work with. I agree about the Jayco over the wildwood, the fiberglass and interior features are huge. Thanks for sharing the Common RV Essential checklist. I'll keep that on hand. Wow, even more weight! The wheel chocks and mirrors have been added to my list. I'll make the blocks from 2x10s I have, so thanks for that saver. I appreciate the votes of confidence in my targeted TT purchase.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Connie,

Also, I wanted to invite you to check out the North Central Forum for area campouts. Our regional group, the Pond Piggies, usually have campouts in NE/C/SE OH & W/C PA. We've got 2 scheduled so far: Mohican State Park & Hocking Hills KOA. More will be posted as plans get made. We love to meet new members & you'd get a chance to show us your new TT. Hope to see you sometime.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #20

Lori,
Thanks for the invitation, that sounds great. Please keep me posted on the trips.

Connie
Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As far as weight, I'm always re-evaluating what I really need to carry. On the levers, yes people will make their own. I have found Lynx Levelers (as seen on RVupgrades) to be just great. I have a 10 pack with it's own storage bag. They are just like Lego blocks. If you have tandem wheels, with a 10 pack you can go 3 layers high or a 3" rise. If your looking at the weight side they are very light compared to wood. Every spring when I de-winterize, I'll orginize and go thru each cabinet. Sometimes you say "Do I really need this?" Yes, maybe 5 years you used it, but not any more. You can carry 10 cans of tunafish for the whole season when really 2-3 will do.

A word about the "Pond Piggies" The name came from an area on Pymatuning Lake on the OH / PA border which there is a spillway and you feed the 1000,s of fish. and more fish. There are so many fish the ducks can walk on top of the fish. You are allowed to feed the fish bread and such. It's a feeding frenzy.... Back in maybe 2001 some of us IRV2 families from OH. and Western PA. started to get together for camp-outs in that area. Many of them were in the area of Pymatuning, so someone came up with the name.....Pond Piggies.. I guess it just stuck...

I thought I'll throw this in there. I might have repeated myself. "watch out for the size of the fresh water tanks". In the last few years the size of TT's fresh water tanks seems to be going down. Even the Aerolites were 46 gallons, now I know in 09' they were 36. I have seen some 30' long TT's with a 26 gallon tank.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #22

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Talking What are "Pond Piggies"?

For your viewing pleasure, here's a picture of some "Pond Piggies" (carp) at Pymatuning State Park.

Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I knew Frank would chime in. Fact that one picture in my post is Frank's. I took some video last time we were there, but have not signed up for You Tube yet.

O getting back to trailers.....While at the Cleveland RV show a few weeks back. I was disappointed Aerolite only had 2 models produced of the Cub's for the 2010 model year. Their wedsite was still showing the 09' line. Well looking around after looking at the one Cub model, I spotted a Coleman hybrid that looked just like a Cub, walked inside, and yes, it was a Cub. How could this be . I did a double take. The story I'm getting is Camping World and Sirpilla's bought the Coleman name and are having Dutchmen (Thor) produce re-badged Cubs as Colemans. Then a few minutes later same thing. There was a "Freedom Spirit" (Dutchmen) which looked the same as a Cub too. Accually the price on the Freedom Spirt ($15,995) and floorplan were not bad. It was close to the floorplan we have now but rearranged differently. That explains why there are only 2 floorplans for the 2010 Cub's. With the RV industry in a retrenching mode, you don't know who makes what......I heard Thor has not shown a loss in this recession. They got $$$ to go out and buy name plates...and bring them under the Thor name.