Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Buying new truck questions?

I am thinking of buying a 2009 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4, my question is will I have to raise my 5th wheel camper. The camper is a 35 foot Carriage Cameo. We are currently towing the camper with a 2005 GMC Sierra DRW 4x4 with no modifications to the height of either the camper or truck. I cannot check the trailer with the truck due to the fact that the camper is at my sons house which is 600 miles away.

Any help would be appreciated. I really due not want to raise the trailer because it has Moore ride, and the dealer tells me it cannot be done.

Y2K Dodge 2500 DIESEL, QC,LB,4x2,Auto,3.54,Tow Package,CamperPackage
2003 Carriage 34CK3
HAUL-A-FIFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Not sure if this will help you, but my Dad has a 2008 Ford 4x4 F-350 and just bought a 2008 Carriage Domani and the two fit together very well. He did not have to modify anything. I know this isn't the same comparison, but thought it could might help you to know that a new, taller truck, was working fine.

Good luck!

2008 Kountry Aire - 2000 Watt inverter, 7.0 Onan, Tandem Dual wheels

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has holes for raizing up look under neath at springs see if ther is holes by hanger.One hole raize 2 in.
99 ford f350 crewcab dually powerstroke auto. 2002 cameo f35ck3
jrcnlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Can you compare the heigth (from the ground to the PU box sides) of the GMC and the Dodge?

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
I had a 97 patio hauler and 03 dodge. I had to raise the 5th wheel to have it tow level with adequate clearance above the bedrails.

Now I have an 06 Dually, and 01 patio hauler. It tows level stock, fine.

I think it was around 01-03 that the big 3 started making trucks with higher bedrails, and 5th wheel makers seem to have compensated at about the same time.

Anyway, maybe your son could measure from the ground to the bottom of the overhang on your 5th wheel with the 5er level and on flat ground. Then you could compare that to what the pickup measures. Pin weight is likely to settle the picup a couple inches lower than it's unloaded weight.
Dodge Ram dually laramie 4x4 w/jake, B&W, Brakesmart.
Kit Patio Hauler 394F toyhauler 5th wheel
Camo 680 Rincon, Green 500 Foreman, Blk twincam Roadking
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
If I remember correctly when I was shopping to replace my 2500HD General junk I took a tape measure and the 4X4 Dodge was a good six inches higher in the rear than the Chevy./ That was one of my motives for going with a 4X2 this time around. That and the fact that a dually is terrible in bad weather where you would normally need/want a 4X4. so why spend the extra dollars for a once in a life time use?
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Chevys are short, dodge and Ford are Tall. I bet you will need to adjust for the new taller truck, or sacrifice bed rail clearance and risk trailer and bed kissing.
'01 F350 PSD 4X4 CC LB SRW, firestone air bags, bilstien shocks, superchips 60hp, 4" cat back exhaust, front end leveling kit, aux trans cooler
'00 315 wanderer, Honda EU2000
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
when I replaced my `02 GMC 3500 the Ford sat about 3 inches higher. My 5th wheel hitch has adjustment holes where I could raise or lower the hitch height. I lowered the hitch height to where the combo sat level. I still had my 6" clearance.

So I think you will probably be able to make other adjustments to compensate for the higher truck.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Another dodge owner here. I have the 4x4 and raising the trailer was a must. Took the RV Dealer about 40 minutes to lift the camper to the right height. I just went ahead and had them raise the new camper I'm buying without even bothering to do a match up. The bed of the Dodge is just too high. RWD only dodges are much lower.

Good Luck

2008 Dodge 2500 Diesel | 2010 Montana Mountaineer 36 DBQ
Two adults, two kids, two dogs, a cat, and four slides - full-timing in style!
WindRVer is offline   Reply With Quote