Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #1

campground is hilly! need braking and shifting advice

So the campground we are going to is very hilly and curvy. Should I keep the intensity turned up on the trailer brakes and downshift going down the hills? I dont wanna burn up the brakes. Truck is a 2000 F250 5.4 auto tranny. Camper is a 1985 26' jayco fifth wheel.
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

At , campground speeds, I always put trans in 1st.
If trailer brake gain was set properly for highway , it should not have to be re-adjusted for low speeds.
You do have the option of manual application of the trailer brakes.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
So the campground we are going to is very hilly and curvy. Should I keep the intensity turned up on the trailer brakes and downshift going down the hills? I dont wanna burn up the brakes. Truck is a 2000 F250 5.4 auto tranny. Camper is a 1985 26' jayco fifth wheel.
Just how many miles do you expect you will be driving in that "very hilly and curvy" campground?
Most people only drive in a campground to their campsite once when they arrive, (and once again when they leave).
How many miles do you expect you will be driving in that "very hilly and curvy" campground?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

Just how many miles do you expect you will be driving in that "very hilly and curvy" campground?
Most people only drive in a campground to their campsite once when they arrive, (and once again when they leave).
How many miles do you expect you will be driving in that "very hilly and curvy" campground?
2 miles maybe. Its just about safety. Ive never pulled it to a campground before. But ill keep it in first and my finger by the brake controller
Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #5

You will be fine

Most Campgrounds have a very low speed limit to begin with
Just go slow until you get the feel of the trailer on the truck. Idling along and just watch out for the kids and the big kids too!
You are going camping There is no RUSH
Everyone else there is camping too.
Go slow so those of us already there can watch the rig come in and see what you did different from what we did
We like to pick up ideas too!

RRII
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Most Campgrounds have a very low speed limit to begin with
Just go slow until you get the feel of the trailer on the truck. Idling along and just watch out for the kids and the big kids too!
You are going camping There is no RUSH
Everyone else there is camping too.
Go slow so those of us already there can watch the rig come in and see what you did different from what we did
We like to pick up ideas too!

RRII
Im just worried uphill power wise. 5.4 is a wee bit underpowered. Lol
Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

Nah
You are in Low gear when rolling slow around the campground
It should have no issue creaping along
Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Nah
You are in Low gear when rolling slow around the campground
It should have no issue creaping along
Cool. On a side note I think I found my next hitch! Reese slider. Picking it up used but in good shape for $100!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

Most CG's are 5-10 mpg max. It's usually posted whe you 1st enter. Although some of the more primitive CG's don't post mph. For the most part you won't be able to go very fast anyway as there's always a tree or something making the drives narrow.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Most CG's are 5-10 mpg max. It's usually posted whe you 1st enter. Although some of the more primitive CG's don't post mph. For the most part you won't be able to go very fast anyway as there's always a tree or something making the drives narrow.
Like I said, im not worried about the actual campground. Just off the main road into the campground its pretty hilly and curvy. Ill lose my momentum braking for the curve then throttle up to go up around the next. Then slow down for rhe downward curve then throttle up for the next upward hill. Itll be interesting. Haha
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
Like I said, im not worried about the actual campground. Just off the main road into the campground its pretty hilly and curvy. Ill lose my momentum braking for the curve then throttle up to go up around the next. Then slow down for rhe downward curve then throttle up for the next upward hill. Itll be interesting. Haha
Can you actually throttle up with a 5.4
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
It sounds to me that you need to learn your rig and it's limitations. That will come, or maybe I should say I hope it does. We just went through route 120 in Yosemite NP. It has miles and miles of 8% downgrade, unless you are going the other direction! If I expected the brakes to stop me on those mountains without the proper gearing, Etc, you would have been picking me out of a very deep hole(dead) Knowing your rig and outfitting it for the roads you expect to drive on is a must. The trailer brakes are needed! Making sure the tow vehicle has the right tranny, engine, undercarriage, and brakes is a must!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
It sounds to me that you need to learn your rig and it's limitations. That will come, or maybe I should say I hope it does. We just went through route 120 in Yosemite NP. It has miles and miles of 8% downgrade, unless you are going the other direction! If I expected the brakes to stop me on those mountains without the proper gearing, Etc, you would have been picking me out of a very deep hole(dead) Knowing your rig and outfitting it for the roads you expect to drive on is a must. The trailer brakes are needed! Making sure the tow vehicle has the right tranny, engine, undercarriage, and brakes is a must!
Chances are ill roll through without a problem. My buddy says im over thinking it because ive never done it. Most of you would look at this road and laugh but because all ive done is pull it home on a flat interstate it looks intimidating. Haha
Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

Can you actually throttle up with a 5.4
A little... haha already got my eyes peeled for the next truck. Lookin for a 99-03 super duty longbox crewcab v10/7.3