Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Makes me think of childhood, Dad had a 1962 Chevrolet Impala wagon, 283, the old 2 speed auto (torque flight I think), RV place welded on a "frame hitch" and off we went, Mom, Dad, 5 kids, 12 foot boat on roof, outboard in back of wagon, 21 foot Bee-Line trailer I'm guessing to be 3500 lbs, on the road in mountains of up state NY. Now that was overloaded, but oddly enough never had a problem.....did go up some climbs slowly though
Cool post! Yeah, many memories.

I towed overloaded from the 60s until the mid 80s in that manner. And never had a problem.
But the first time I towed with the right TV and trailer, the experience was soooo cool, and I regretted ohhh sooo many miles without the right stuff.
Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #30

Quote:
I had 2 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks I used to pull travel trailer with, both with the 5.7 Hemi. If I remember correctly they were 2003 and 2005, or there abouts. First was 1500 2 wheel drive with towing package, come to find out did not have posi-traction rear and was a higher gear ratio than should have been to tow, in my opinion. Guess I didn't ask dealer enough questions, I ASSUMED towing package would have that, but no just hitch, larger alt, oil cooler and larger radiator. Second I got was 4x4 that had posi-traction and lower rear (3.55 vs 3.92 or there abouts) that made the biggest difference. Felt like the first truck struggled to pull my 27FKS Sunnybrook, second truck with lower rear felt like it could tow anything. Sunny was about 6800 dry and probably 7400 or so road ready, the later truck pulled it fine, that truck also had a tow/haul mode on trans too. It was a great truck. You are probably close to maxing out, but run your number and see. Makes me think of childhood, Dad had a 1962 Chevrolet Impala wagon, 283, the old 2 speed auto (torque flight I think), RV place welded on a "frame hitch" and off we went, Mom, Dad, 5 kids, 12 foot boat on roof, outboard in back of wagon, 21 foot Bee-Line trailer I'm guessing to be 3500 lbs, on the road in mountains of up state NY. Now that was overloaded, but oddly enough never had a problem.....did go up some climbs slowly though
Your right I'm pulling about 9500 lb. and I believe the truck is rated for 10500 lb. but she pulls great I put it in tow haul mode and up and down the hill and mountains I go. The rpm has never gone over 3700 rpm and I have never fallen below 55 mph. I can't run with a diesel but then again I not in a hurry.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #31

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
I had 2 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks I used to pull travel trailer with, both with the 5.7 Hemi. If I remember correctly they were 2003 and 2005, or there abouts. First was 1500 2 wheel drive with towing package, come to find out did not have posi-traction rear and was a higher gear ratio than should have been to tow, in my opinion. Guess I didn't ask dealer enough questions, I ASSUMED towing package would have that, but no just hitch, larger alt, oil cooler and larger radiator. Second I got was 4x4 that had posi-traction and lower rear (3.55 vs 3.92 or there abouts) that made the biggest difference. Felt like the first truck struggled to pull my 27FKS Sunnybrook, second truck with lower rear felt like it could tow anything.

Sunny was about 6800 dry and probably 7400 or so road ready, the later truck pulled it fine, that truck also had a tow/haul mode on trans too.

It was a great truck. You are probably close to maxing out, but run your number and see.

Makes me think of childhood, Dad had a 1962 Chevrolet Impala wagon, 283, the old 2 speed auto (torque flight I think), RV place welded on a "frame hitch" and off we went, Mom, Dad, 5 kids, 12 foot boat on roof, outboard in back of wagon, 21 foot Bee-Line trailer I'm guessing to be 3500 lbs, on the road in mountains of up state NY. Now that was overloaded, but oddly enough never had a problem.....did go up some climbs slowly though
That Impala had a PowerGlide (aka powerslide) tranny....Torque Flite was a 3speed tranny in Chrysler products.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #32

Lori, the OP has decided against the truck/trailer in this thread.

Towing Problem with Class C

Thread is done

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #33

I would think it'd be nicer if the OP would come back and tell us what the idea was. Less thread clutter.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post
Well all I can say is that I have pulled a livestock trailer over 200 thousands miles and know a little bet about truck performance and I'm not disappointed with this ford I have had really bad luck with a dodge truck and a little better experience with a chev. Since you are not in my truck don't tell me how bad it is. You like your truck and that is good and I like my truck have a good day.
Totally agree with you truck ability.
Some think we don't know what we have experienced,
It's the driver that counts and from some comments on here there are many that can't drive.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #35

It aint the drive. It is the ride. Some folks prefer a rocking horse, and that is fine.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
That Impala had a PowerGlide (aka powerslide) tranny....Torque Flite was a 3speed tranny in Chrysler products.
You are absolutely right, couldn't remember when I was typing. I remember the rpm run up to get on highway and then drop at shift point and no power there at all!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #37

Quote:

You are absolutely right, couldn't remember when I was typing. I remember the rpm run up to get on highway and then drop at shift point and no power there at all!
That is exactly how I have driven for the past 43 years. Any more is a waste.
Had a 6 cylinder when everyone needed V8, 4 cylinders when V6 were in style. Had 225 hp GM Diesel towing 14K.
That's why we use gears. A 500hp truck on the highway is capable of towing 80,000lbs. How much more do we want out of 300 hp.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #38

Quote:
I recall some of the family cars, Stovebolt Six, Powerslide tranny...LOL

My two cylinder BMW bike has more HP.

The Torque Flites with the push button selectors were sort of cool though!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
That is exactly how I have driven for the past 43 years. Any more is a waste.
Had a 6 cylinder when everyone needed V8, 4 cylinders when V6 were in style. Had 225 hp GM Diesel towing 14K.
That's why we use gears. A 500hp truck on the highway is capable of towing 80,000lbs. How much more do we want out of 300 hp.
COE International Transtar, lowboy trailer, CAT D-7 was okay pulling. But I'd prefer an F-250 (6.2L gas -385bhp) with a 26' TT now.

Happy NYE everyone!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Joe N. - dude, that 5.4 litre engine was a real dog. That F-150 could not get out of it's own way compared to the newer engines.

This next statement I think is hard to debate. The 5.4 litre engine in the F-150 made more noise than acceleration. I test drove a new 2006 F-150 when I floored it I thought what is all that engine noise because the speedometer is not going up.
Oh it downshifted, engine rev'ed, made a lot of noise, zero acceleration.

Durn guys. What do you do with all that power.? My 5.4 will burn the tires to the ground, Even when hooked to the TT. I can't leave from a stop sign with out smoking the tires, and will pin your head to the head rest when you drop the hammer at 60 mph. Don't know what I'd do with much more power. However IF I ever get a new truck. Not gonna settle for a 5.0. I would get the big V8. Well bigger V8, They don't really make big V8s any more.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #41

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
We're considering the following set up but I want to get your opinions on whether these two will be happy with each other.

2014 Keystone Outback 316RL - 7,640 lbs.

Used Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab - 5.7L V8 Hemi Magnum with tow package

We'll be using a weight distribution hitch and a brake controller.

According to the specs, the Ram 4x2 will pull 10,350 lbs. I haven't considered anything else regarding tongue, etc.

Thanks for your input.
I have a 2005 Ram 1500 setup just as you are quoting. I move my enclosed coach trailer around without the jeep in it. It does fine, BUT I sure would not want to use it full time for that load.

Then there is the issue of downhills......
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryallan View Post
Durn guys. What do you do with all that power.? My 5.4 will burn the tires to the ground, Even when hooked to the TT. I can't leave from a stop sign with out smoking the tires, and will pin your head to the head rest when you drop the hammer at 60 mph. Don't know what I'd do with much more power. However IF I ever get a new truck. Not gonna settle for a 5.0. I would get the big V8. Well bigger V8, They don't really make big V8s any more.
"I can't leave from a stop sign with out smoking the tires, and will pin your head to the head rest when you drop the hammer at 60 mph"

Right! If you are talking about while you are towing (towing is the conversation here); Your nose is going to grow... Pinocchio!

Randy