Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
We're considering the following set up but I want to get your opinions on whether these two will be happy with each other.

2014 Keystone Outback 316RL - 7,640 lbs.

Used Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab - 5.7L V8 Hemi Magnum with tow package

We'll be using a weight distribution hitch and a brake controller.

According to the specs, the Ram 4x2 will pull 10,350 lbs. I haven't considered anything else regarding tongue, etc.

Thanks for your input.
I have a Primetime LaCrosse trailer it is 37 foot long and has a 8200 lb dry weight. I pull it with a Ford F150 supper crew cab with a 5.4 motor and a 3.73 rear end, it also a4x4. I have absolutely had no problem pulling the trailer to Arizona and California.
I'm upgrading my truck to a F250 6.7 diesel only because I would like to buy a fifth wheel. If not for that I would drive my F150 until it quit, I have about 30 K on the truck how.
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe N View Post
I have a Primetime LaCrosse trailer it is 37 foot long and has a 8200 lb dry weight. I pull it with a Ford F150 supper crew cab with a 5.4 motor and a 3.73 rear end, it also a4x4. I have absolutely had no problem pulling the trailer to Arizona and California. I'm upgrading my truck to a F250 6.7 diesel only because I would like to buy a fifth wheel. If not for that I would drive my F150 until it quit, I have about 30 K on the truck how.
I just gotta this one!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
We're considering the following set up but I want to get your opinions on whether these two will be happy with each other. 2014 Keystone Outback 316RL - 7,640 lbs. Used Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab - 5.7L V8 Hemi Magnum with tow package We'll be using a weight distribution hitch and a brake controller. According to the specs, the Ram 4x2 will pull 10,350 lbs. I haven't considered anything else regarding tongue, etc. Thanks for your input.
No. No. No! Bad idea! (Face palm) ...... You can always find someone on here that will tell you that you should be ok, because they have done it with a similar truck. I don't know where they drive; but it must be in perfect weather, on flat land, and with no traffic. Trust me, you need a bigger truck. A 1500 does not have the proper weight rated tires and rims (the first thing you notice about a 2500 or larger truck) brakes, suspension or frame to accommodate that kind of weight. There is way too much flex in the wheels, tires, suspension, and frame under that kind of load. That kind of weight on an under rated tow vehicle makes it a bear to drive. It will be very hard to control at highway speeds, not to mention how it acts with a crosswind or hills. Yes it will pull it;( or should I say move it?) just like the Toyota commercial showing a Tundra pulling the space shuttle ( that's at 2 mph ). I would not attempt it with a 1500.. You will be overloaded... It's unsafe and it's an accident waiting to happen. I don't mean to rain on you parade, but please consider a larger truck.

Randy
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

I just gotta this one!
I really don't understand what you mean.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #19

Quote:
I have a Primetime LaCrosse trailer it is 37 foot long and has a 8200 lb dry weight. I pull it with a Ford F150 supper crew cab with a 5.4 motor and a 3.73 rear end, it also a4x4. I have absolutely had no problem pulling the trailer to Arizona and California.
I'm upgrading my truck to a F250 6.7 diesel only because I would like to buy a fifth wheel. If not for that I would drive my F150 until it quit, I have about 30 K on the truck how.
As a former 5.4 3.73 F150 owner I really feel sorry for you in that you are struggling with that truck and don't know it. When you get that F250 6.7 and tow that trailer you will finally realize what 'CampDavid' means.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #20

I used to pull a 22' TT fully loaded with an 01 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.9L with a golf cart in the bed. I never put it on a scale, but I know I was close to the 8,000 or so max towing ability of this truck. Truck did fine on flat ground, but there's a 6 mile, 6% grade on I-17 in Camp Verde, AZ that used to bring me down to 30 mph, temp gage touching the red, and my tranny light would start flashing the last mile of the climb. The truck never failed, but it used to work hard and caused me a lot of stress.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

As a former 5.4 3.73 F150 owner I really feel sorry for you in that you are struggling with that truck and don't know it. When you get that F250 6.7 and tow that trailer you will finally realize what 'CampDavid' means.
You don't have to feel sorry for me l live in Mo. and pull on rolling hills all the time. I have been to Wyoming and Idaho also. I drive at 2400 rpm to 3400 in the hills. My speed is around 65 mph and I don't feel that I struggle all that much. I drove over the road with all type of power plants and I know a little about struggling. Will the 250 pull my trailer more efficiently yes it will bit I'm not disappointed in my F150.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #22

Quote:
You don't have to feel sorry for me l live in Mo. and pull on rolling hills all the time. I have been to Wyoming and Idaho also. I drive at 2400 rpm to 3400 in the hills. My speed is around 65 mph and I don't feel that I struggle all that much. I drove over the road with all type of power plants and I know a little about struggling. Will the 250 pull my trailer more efficiently yes it will bit I'm not disappointed in my F150.
We, like my wife's grandmother used to say. " Hang by your arms long enough and you'll get used to it."
Old 12-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #23

Joe N. - dude, that 5.4 litre engine was a real dog. That F-150 could not get out of it's own way compared to the newer engines.

This next statement I think is hard to debate. The 5.4 litre engine in the F-150 made more noise than acceleration. I test drove a new 2006 F-150 when I floored it I thought what is all that engine noise because the speedometer is not going up.
Oh it downshifted, engine rev'ed, made a lot of noise, zero acceleration.

Move ahead to 2011. F-150 with the 5.0 litre engine with 6sp auto. I bought that truck as soon as the test drive was over. The 0 - 60 time is 6.9 seconds. I think the 5.4 litre engine 0 - 60 time was around 9 seconds. (Eco Boost F-150 is really the 1/2 ton truck to have).

Now the steroid injected diesel engines. All three manufacturers have diesel engines that make their 9,000lb dually trucks drive like they are much lighter even fun to drive.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Joe N. - dude, that 5.4 litre engine was a real dog. That F-150 could not get out of it's own way compared to the newer engines.

This next statement I think is hard to debate. The 5.4 litre engine in the F-150 made more noise than acceleration. I test drove a new 2006 F-150 when I floored it I thought what is all that engine noise because the speedometer is not going up.
Oh it downshifted, engine rev'ed, made a lot of noise, zero acceleration.

Move ahead to 2011. F-150 with the 5.0 litre engine with 6sp auto. I bought that truck as soon as the test drive was over. The 0 - 60 time is 6.9 seconds. I think the 5.4 litre engine 0 - 60 time was around 9 seconds. (Eco Boost F-150 is really the 1/2 ton truck to have).

Now the steroid injected diesel engines. All three manufacturers have diesel engines that make their 9,000lb dually trucks drive like they are much lighter even fun to drive.
To be fair when Ford installed the 6 speed trans in 2010 in the F150 it made a big improvement on acceleration. Nothing like the newer 5.0L or 3.5L ecoboost but was better. Expeditions had the 6 speed since 2006 and would run circles around the 4 speed F150.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Joe N. - dude, that 5.4 litre engine was a real dog. That F-150 could not get out of it's own way compared to the newer engines. This next statement I think is hard to debate. The 5.4 litre engine in the F-150 made more noise than acceleration. I test drove a new 2006 F-150 when I floored it I thought what is all that engine noise because the speedometer is not going up. Oh it downshifted, engine rev'ed, made a lot of noise, zero acceleration. Move ahead to 2011. F-150 with the 5.0 litre engine with 6sp auto. I bought that truck as soon as the test drive was over. The 0 - 60 time is 6.9 seconds. I think the 5.4 litre engine 0 - 60 time was around 9 seconds. (Eco Boost F-150 is really the 1/2 ton truck to have). Now the steroid injected diesel engines. All three manufacturers have diesel engines that make their 9,000lb dually trucks drive like they are much lighter even fun to drive.
Well I guess I was lucky with my 5.4 engine, I have pulled in all types of weather from 110 in the dessert southwest to 18 degree in Wyoming and all types of grades. The transmission gauge never showed to be over heating and the engine performed quit well, the year of my truck is a 2010 and like I said early on in this discussion I have pulled a 34 to a 37 foot trailer with a total miles driven of around 30 thousands miles and the only thing that I have done is to change the oil. The transmisision is a five speed. The bottom line, there is no moment of regreat.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Well I guess I was lucky with my 5.4 engine, I have pulled in all types of weather from 110 in the dessert southwest to 18 degree in Wyoming and all types of grades. The transmission gauge never showed to be over heating and the engine performed quit well, the year of my truck is a 2010 and like I said early on in this discussion I have pulled a 34 to a 37 foot trailer with a total miles driven of around 30 thousands miles and the only thing that I have done is to change the oil. The transmisision is a five speed. The bottom line, there is no moment of regreat.
3/4 ton? I'm guessing better cooling than the 1/2 ton. 5.4 is a dog no matter what truck it's in. 300hp and 365tq is low by todays standards. Just because it got you there and back doesn't mean it's not a dog. It just had to work harder than all others besides the GM 5.3. Another dog.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
3/4 ton? I'm guessing better cooling than the 1/2 ton. 5.4 is a dog no matter what truck it's in. 300hp and 365tq is low by todays standards. Just because it got you there and back doesn't mean it's not a dog. It just had to work harder than all others besides the GM 5.3. Another dog.
Well all I can say is that I have pulled a livestock trailer over 200 thousands miles and know a little bet about truck performance and I'm not disappointed with this ford I have had really bad luck with a dodge truck and a little better experience with a chev. Since you are not in my truck don't tell me how bad it is. You like your truck and that is good and I like my truck have a good day.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Haven't seen mentioned...

I had 2 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks I used to pull travel trailer with, both with the 5.7 Hemi. If I remember correctly they were 2003 and 2005, or there abouts. First was 1500 2 wheel drive with towing package, come to find out did not have posi-traction rear and was a higher gear ratio than should have been to tow, in my opinion. Guess I didn't ask dealer enough questions, I ASSUMED towing package would have that, but no just hitch, larger alt, oil cooler and larger radiator. Second I got was 4x4 that had posi-traction and lower rear (3.55 vs 3.92 or there abouts) that made the biggest difference. Felt like the first truck struggled to pull my 27FKS Sunnybrook, second truck with lower rear felt like it could tow anything.

Sunny was about 6800 dry and probably 7400 or so road ready, the later truck pulled it fine, that truck also had a tow/haul mode on trans too.

It was a great truck. You are probably close to maxing out, but run your number and see.

Makes me think of childhood, Dad had a 1962 Chevrolet Impala wagon, 283, the old 2 speed auto (torque flight I think), RV place welded on a "frame hitch" and off we went, Mom, Dad, 5 kids, 12 foot boat on roof, outboard in back of wagon, 21 foot Bee-Line trailer I'm guessing to be 3500 lbs, on the road in mountains of up state NY. Now that was overloaded, but oddly enough never had a problem.....did go up some climbs slowly though
trode is offline   Reply With Quote