Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Why did you decide to back out on the deal? Its doubtful they will pursue you in court. They would have to show damages, which would not be easy since they still have the vehicle, and an effort to mitigate damages. What state did this transaction take place?
This was in Tennessee and I just had a bad feeling. Found out later this dealer has a bad past of selling vehicles that are junk. They never do a real check up of the vehicle they claim is in real good condition.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #30

Do you live in TN and did you simply get up and walk out after signing the papers? Did you take the papers and how were you going to pay for the vehicle? Don't ever agree to buy something unless you're willing to follow through with the deal. When you have an offer, acceptance and consideration, you have an enforceable contract. Walking out before accepting delivery would in my opinion indicated anticipatory breach and cannot claim the deal was completed and the vehicle is yours. It may not hurt to at least consult with an attorney.
Bear in mind any response I make is not intended to be anything other than my educated opinion and should not be relied upon as legal advice. My response is based upon the limited facts provided on this forum.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #31

I have contacted my lawyer and he said wait till they send me a letter or call me . I wonder how long could this take? I'm getting ready to leave the state.

Thanks, Bob
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Then leave

How many times have I walked out on a deal when surprise, surprise, Oh they didn't tell you about that fee or this fee ? My take is until it's complete and you take possession, it's not a deal !

Baring a lawyer's advice - I wouldn't worry about it at all and now you KNOW what type of dealer they are !

what did you do to pissemoff ?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #33

I took pictures of the dealer and have a date stamp on the picture after telling them I don't want the vehicle. They wouldn't sign a paper telling the deal is over. This teaches me never to buy a used vehicle from a used car lot in the state of Tennessee again. Need to buy it from a state that is consumer friendly. Tennessee must have million or more used car dealers on every street corner I have found. This is a state allows people to take two cars and make just one. Cut them in half and weld them together and it's legal.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
I took pictures of the dealer and have a date stamp on the picture after telling them I don't want the vehicle. They wouldn't sign a paper telling the deal is over. This teaches me never to buy a used vehicle from a used car lot in the state of Tennessee again. Need to buy it from a state that is consumer friendly. Tennessee must have million or more used car dealers on every street corner I have found. This is a state allows people to take two cars and make just one. Cut them in half and weld them together and it's legal.
i will defend tn as i live here,from mi a long time ago
all states allow you to assemble 1 car with parts from 2 or more ,they are titled as "salvage title" nothing wrong with the practice but a licensed dealer i believe has to disclose the fact we have lots of ethical bussiness' in tn and there are a lot of folks in mi with less than ethical motives it that way everywhere "buyer beware'
brianj
Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #35

Quote:
I have contacted my lawyer and he said wait till they send me a letter or call me . I wonder how long could this take? I'm getting ready to leave the state.

Thanks, Bob
Don't worry about leaving the state. If they file suit, they will have to legally serve you. Tell folks you know not to be in a big hurry to tell inquirers where you are. Most likely, this will just go away.
Again, any response I make is not intended to be anything other than my educated opinion and should not be relied upon as legal advice. My response is based upon the limited facts provided on this forum.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depending on the state you have 3 days, more or less, May have to notify in writing and may need to have that notice "Witnessed" in some way...

Expert in this I'm not, what the rules are in yoru state I do not knwo, I just read a lot.

The dealer will try every weasel trick he can, and may not wish to refund any deposit you made but ... You may be able to take care of that too.

The people to ask, And there are two here.. Your local DMV (they likely regulate auto dealers and service establishments) and of course since you are asking for legal advice (The above is not advice, it's information) a Lawyer.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't think the 3 days cooling off period (solicited or unsolicited) applied to vehicles (whether motor vehicles or RV's). I checked it in Texas and the 3 day period applied to real estate but not vehicles. I had backed out of an RV purchase after leaving a deposit and some paperwork. Dealer was good about it and I got 2/3 my deposit back. He kept 1/3 due to already starting to prep the RV for delivery and wanting to cover his labor. I agreed as I felt i could have lost the whole deposit and some was better than nothing. I don't know about the law in other states.

But i question the unsolicited theory. If I but real estate I have 3 days and that would be an unsolicited transaction. i went to the realtor, s/he did not come to me.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #38

So far no letter or call from the dealer. Went to dealer and saleman said no sell.

Thanks, Bob
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
...Depending on the state you have 3 days, more or less....
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
...I didn't think the 3 days cooling off period (solicited or unsolicited) applied to vehicles (whether motor vehicles or RV's)...
See my link in post #17 above for clarification on the "cooling off" rule.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So far no letter or call from the dealer. Went to dealer and saleman said no sell.

Thanks, Bob
Glad it ended well, Bob.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by S20BOW2 View Post
NO, you have 3 days to decide.

Second on the 3 days, this is fairly common but your millage may vary from state to state.

And some places require you notify in writing (Suggest the kind of mail where return reciept is requested) to back out.. Others just a phone call is enough.