Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #29

I cannot choose a gear in my truck. I have 1, 2, D and the tow/haul button which I think just knocks off the top gear and/or holds gears a little longer before shifting.

But this chip/tuner has the ability to let me adjust shift points and save to the programs. Might mess with that after I learn how to do it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have a 4 speed transmission, and the choices of 1, 2, D and Tow/Haul, you probably have all you need to select the gear you want.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Even when using the "TOW" mode, there is no reason why you can't pick the gear you think runs best for hilly terrain and stay there. Now I know that there is a difference between the diesel I have and the Hemi we're talking about, but for rolling terrain I put the transmission in 4th or 5th gear even in "TOW" mode just so that when I get to the steeper ups and downs there is no gear hunting and the engine just purrs up and growls down.
I have an automatic 6 speed transmission...how do I "pick the gear I want and stay there"?

The complaint I have with this truck is that while towing, it keeps going up and down 2 gears and never just settles in on one and stays there (until a hill or something comes up).

I am hoping that as I learn how to use this tuner, I can tune the tow program to stay in 5th and not even try to go to 6th. That would fix most of my problems.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I have an automatic 6 speed transmission...how do I "pick the gear I want and stay there"?
I don't know. I don't know how to operate your truck. I have a '14 2500. I know how it works. I'm just trying to help knowing what little I know, not what I don't know.

If your truck is hunting between two gears while towing, that's not bad. Mine does on rolling terrain, even in "tow/haul", unless I pick the lower of the two gears it has been using, i.e. if switching between 4 and 5 constantly, I might pick 4 and let it rev if that seems to work better. I might have to reduce my speed a little, but I'm rarely in a hurry. The revs don't wear out the engine, but any lugging will. The exhaust brake I have works better at high revs anyways.

Hopefully using the "tow/haul" mode will work better for you.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I don't know. I don't know how to operate your truck. I have a '14 2500. I know how it works. I'm just trying to help knowing what little I know, not what I don't know.

If your truck is hunting between two gears while towing, that's not bad. Mine does on rolling terrain, even in "tow/haul", unless I pick the lower of the two gears it has been using, i.e. if switching between 4 and 5 constantly, I might pick 4 and let it rev if that seems to work better. I might have to reduce my speed a little, but I'm rarely in a hurry. The revs don't wear out the engine, but any lugging will. The exhaust brake I have works better at high revs anyways.

Hopefully using the "tow/haul" mode will work better for you.
I figured you had a diesel, the way you were talking. (I will get one if I ever wear out this hemi...)

That said...you have a GREAT point about not being in a hurry and dropping the speed a bit, and seeing if it stays in one gear. Might work as well speeding up a little, to keep the rpms up a bit higher up in the torque range the engine wants to be in.

Honestly, that is what I am hoping this tuner will do.

I notice that with the 91 octane performance program going, it holds the gears longer, has much better response, and still lands in the 6th gear once I get to cruising speed, but seems to get there quicker without lugging.

I am hoping (pleasepleaseplease!!!) that the tow program does the same with the trailer behind it. Kind of like a tow/haul super-button.

Well, the final test is less than 24 hours away.

Not sure if I have internet where I am going, so might not chime back in until Monday or Tuesday.

Wish me luck!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #34

I think you'll like the tow tune. It should do exactly as you expect. Less lugging, more power and held in the power band longer.

I won't tow without my HemiFever tow tune flashed.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #35

Well, truck is tuned to Tow, trailer is hooked up, just waiting for the wife to get off work so we can shove off!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #36

Ok. Got here. 3 hours on semi hilly terrain. With tow program...NIGHT AND DAY!!!!

It was actually pleasant. Diwnshifted only a couple times on taller hills. Held cruising gear much better.

Got an even 9.0 mpg avg cruising around 2000 to 2250 rpms with level cruising at 1800.

I can easily live with this.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #37

Jayco Owners Club
Wow! Ok you got my interest peeked. :thumb
Old 10-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #38

Great news!

Tags
tow, towing