Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #1

Can I get feedback if you used a performance "chip" while towing with a hemi truck?

Which brand(s) have you used, and was the towing improvement noticeable?

I have an 04 1500 with the hemi, and towing isn't all that fun. Willing to try a "chip" if I get decent feedback results from other users.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #2

Look up "Hemi Fever" and "Greene Racing" for a custom tune. Better than a canned tune. They lead the way on the performance side and can dial in your tune for the mods you have and expected use
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

Anyone used either, or any others, and can provide feedback on the performance?

Looking those two up right now...
Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

Greene responded immediately on Facebook, and suggested that instead of buying from him, to find a used superchips 3865 which will also adjust transmission shift points.

So, found one on ebay for $215 and bought it, will try it out for that price.

I really like business like that. I don't know anything about chips, and he could have told me what I needed was one of his $400 items, but instead recommended a used older model for what I am doing.

I highly recommend dealing with him.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #5

I find tuners don't do much for naturally aspirated engines. You'll get much better results from a good intake and a proper exhaust system.
Also, unless you religiously run mid-grade (89+ octane) it will be running in a slightly detuned state already, so a tuner is really a waste.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #6

I was hoping (but don't know yet) that it had an option for running super unleaded and upping the tune a bit.

Not sure, but for the price, I am willing to give it a try even if it doesn't perform any better.

Greene says I will notice a difference, but still haven't heard from anyone who can tell me what they have seen in the real world as far as differences.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #7

Most of those cheap chips are pretty much junk from what I have read.
littlebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #8

Basically what a tuner will do is turn down the knock sensors a bit so it can run a bit more aggressive timing increasing the performance and adjust the shift points.

Running higher octane with a higher octane tune allows more timing.

The custom tuners can fine tune even more by adjusting for mods you already have. I have read about Jay Greene working with racers taking their 1/4 mile data logs and tweaking the tune until every last hundredth is squeezed out. This is where you get the most out of that free flowing exhaust and CAI.

Out of curiosity, what makes towing with your 04 unpleasant?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Out of curiosity, what makes towing with your 04 unpleasant?
Basically, I only towed with the diesel Grand Cherokee for the first several months of owning the trailer. Then I got the truck wired to haul it, and it keeps downshifting and running at a fairly high rpm.

It is doing what it is supposed to do. But I am spoiled even after towing with a 3.0 turbo diesel.

The Jeep has an 8 speed transmission, and pulls most of the time in 7th gear at around 1500-1800 rpms.

The truck has 6 speeds, and I think it is dropping down to 4th gear and running in the mid-2000s rpms. I know that is where the hemi's power is located, and it does that on purpose. But if I can get it to tow in 5th gear, I would be happy, and maybe pick up 1 or 2 mpgs. Currently tows at 8mpg which from what I have read, is just about what they all do with similar trailers.

But that said, I have heard some good reports from guys running the chips, and figured I would try one out. Can't hurt...

FWIW...it is the large flat front of the trailer that is causing the harm. Not the weight. I have towed much heavier trailers, hauling cars and stuff, but it wasn't as miserable as towing this trailer.

Here is a profile pic of the trailer, so you can see the wind drag surface on the front.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #10

Lugging the motor in too high of gear is worse for mileage than letting her rev a bit.

Hopefully the adjusted shift points help you to some degree, however it will never pull at low rpm like a turbo diesel.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
If your looking for low in grunt it has to come from the rear differential. I bet you have a high gear ratio which is great until you hook her up to the wall on wheels then it's a whole new ball game. Drop a 4.10:1 or lower outback and you will see less shifting and a few better mpg 's with lower rpm. Still can't beat a diesel but it will increase power to the ground.
genxrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #12

Best on gas for safe towing is to open the intake and exhaust. Find your top torque spec and drive at that RPM all day.
My best mileage with my last gas truck was when not shifting the manual transmission in overdrive. That was while towing or not.
But an open exhaust did increase the power and protected the manifolds. I could run all day past 5000 RPM with no heat or problem.
But truck was able to dangerously rev up to max very quick when not loaded.
Some programmes will also limit speed and RPM.
I would not use a programmer without a proper exhaust to protect against exhaust heat that really damage manifold within a few hundred miles. It happened to my gas truck. Gas trucks are actually designed cheap as grocery haulers.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Basically what a tuner will do is turn down the knock sensors a bit so it can run a bit more aggressive timing increasing the performance and adjust the shift points.

Running higher octane with a higher octane tune allows more timing.

The custom tuners can fine tune even more by adjusting for mods you already have. I have read about Jay Greene working with racers taking their 1/4 mile data logs and tweaking the tune until every last hundredth is squeezed out. This is where you get the most out of that free flowing exhaust and CAI.
This is exactly correct.
In order to really get better performance, it needs to flow more air, too. So intake and exhaust SYSTEM (not just some Bubba Flowmaster muffler) are critical.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

On the Ram's you can get away with a "bubba flowmaster". The exhaust is pretty free flowing as it is. 3" exiting 2.5" with the stock muffler and Y being the choke points.

That being said I run a VaraRam intake and Borla muffler. I went with a DiabloSport tuner with HemiFever tuning. HemiFever is awesome to work with. You tell them what you have in mods, or none at all, and he'll send you tunes for life. I ran their tunes for a week and sent him the datalog. He adjusted and sent me another tune.

Towing and general driveability are a lot better. Much better throttle response, better shift points with less lugging and disabled that god awful MDS.

With any tuning of a Hemi it's recommended to get an additional trans cooler and 180 degree thermostat.

I haven't dyno'd my truck to see the actual gains, but my butt dyno is happy with the results. I can spin the tires with ease from a dead stop where before I'd have to power brake it.

Rear gearing and a higher stall converter are next on my list.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing