Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #1

Can I safely tow with my Ram

2012 ram big horn outdoorsman crew cab
Axle is 3.55
GVWR 6800
Payload 1540
GAWR
3700 front
3900 rear
GCWR 14000
8000 MAX TRAILER

I'm looking at a 2016 KEYSTONE HIDEOUT 272LHS it's 5970 pounds.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi. Welcome to iRV2. Glad to have you.

That 5970 lbs (which is listed as 5982 on the website) is the empty, shipping weight. Never use that number for determining towability. I see by the website that model's GVWR is 7775 lbs. That's the important number. Also most likely you'll reach your GCWR before you reach your towing limit for your truck.

You need to weigh your truck, fully loaded for travel with fuel, people, animals & any gear. Come back with that number & we'll be able to help you more. OR You can take that number & subtract it from your truck's GCWR & that'll tell you the amount you have left to tow.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Location: I currently live in Temecula, CA, southern california wine country
Send a message via Skype™ to Coyotetr
If it is an automatic you will need a transmission cooler from Remco, if it is a stick, most likely yes but check with your dealer.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

I have a similar truck (a 2008 Dodge Ram Bighorn) and I tow a Coachmen Freedom Express 282BHDS, which is similar specs to the Keystone as well. I have no problems towing it. I have the tow package and I added a brake controller.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You subtract your vehicles loaded weight from your trucks GVWR not GCWR to get your payload, which shows the weight left for tongue weight and the weight of the hitch itself. An 8000# trailer would have a loaded tongue weight of 1,040#, so you might max out the hitch weight or be out of payload or both!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
You subtract your vehicles loaded weight from your trucks GVWR not GCWR to get your payload, which shows the weight left for tongue weight and the weight of the hitch itself.
Lori is wrong, but then she's a motorhome person and perhaps doesn't know how to determine the weight limits of a heavy RV trailer. Ignore GCWR (and tow rating) and worry about GVWR (and payload capacity).

Jim is right. Load the tow vehicle (TV) with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing, including the WD or 5er hitch. Go to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck (CAT) scale, fill up with fuel, and weigh the wet and loaded TV. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded TV from the GVWR of the TV and the answer is the remaining payload capacity available for hitch weight (tongue weight for a travel trailer (TT) or pin weight for a 5er).

Average tongue weight for a TT is 13% of wet and loaded trailer weight. Average pin weight (weight of the kingpin on the 5er hitch) for 5ers light enough to be towed by TV with single rear wheels (SRW) is about 18%. So divide the payload capacity available for hitch weight by 0.13 for a TT or 0.18 for a smaller to medium-size 5er. The answer is the maximum weight of any trailer you can tow with your TV without being overloaded, assuming the trailer has average hitch weight.

Using 13% for TTs and 18% for 5ers will get you in the ballpark for hitch weight of most RV trailers. But TTs tongue weight ranges from about 12% to about 15%, and smaller 5er pin weight averages from about 16% to over 20%. If you want to be fairly certain that you won't be overloaded when wet and loaded on the road, then use the GVWR of the trailer as the max wet and loaded weight of the trailer and divide by 0.15 for TTs and 0.20 for 5ers to get estimated max hitch weight of that trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #7

Actually you multiply by .15
Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
With all due respect, Smokey, just because I have a motorhome listed in my signature, doesn't mean I don't know something about towing. We had a TT/SUV & A truck/5-r prior to owning a coach & I learned about not going over GCWR's from the best experts on this forum (Ken Lenger, TXiceman & RustyJC)

If one goes over GCWR, I know the tow vehicle's engine, transmission, brakes, and so on will be stressed beyond their design limits. I would not poo-poo me as being wrong for bringing it up. Being over GCWR is dangerous, even though members here do it.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshearer View Post
Actually you multiply by .15
Yeah, I confused my apples and my oranges.

I wrote: "If you want to be fairly certain that you won't be overloaded when wet and loaded on the road, then use the GVWR of the trailer as the max wet and loaded weight of the trailer and divide by 0.15 for TTs and 0.20 for 5ers to get estimated max hitch weight of that trailer."

What I meant to say was:"If you want to be fairly certain that you won't be overloaded when wet and loaded on the road, then use the GVWR of the trailer as the max wet and loaded weight of the trailer. Divide the payload capacity available for hitch by 0.15 for TTs and 0.20 for 5ers to get estimated max trailer weight you can tow with that tow vehicle and compare that mx trailer weight with the GVWR of the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori
If one goes over GCWR, I know the tow vehicle's engine, transmission, brakes, and so on will be stressed beyond their design limits.
Lori, I was jerking your chain.

I agree with what you said, but your concern is misplaced. There are very few tow vehicles that will exceed the GCWR before they exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle. I wrote: "Ignore GCWR (and tow rating) and worry about GVWR (and payload capacity)."

Because if you don't exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle , then you probably won't get close to the GCWR.

Two real-world examples.

1] 1999.5 F-250 diesel CrewCab 4x2 with 8' bed, GCWR 20,000 pounds, GVWR 8,800 pounds. Ford's tow rating (GCWR minus truck weight) was 13,500 pounds. But I was overloaded over the GVWR with my 25' fifth-wheel RV trailer that weighed only 7,900 pounds.

2] 2012 F-150 SuperCrew 4x2 with 6.5' bed and EcoBoost drivetrain, GCWR 14,000 pounds, GVWR 7,100 pounds. Ford's tow rating is 7,900 pounds, but I'm overloaded over the GVWR with my 21' travel trailer that grossed less than 5,000 pounds when wet and loaded on the road.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #10

From a 73 yr old guy with a bit of experience towing,

Nothing has been said about GAWR. GVWR is not the only deciding factor, when you go to the CAT scale your will get your axle weights. GCWR is the mfg's recommendation. GAWR and GVWR is what gets you stopped at the scale. (I realize RV'ers do not get scaled, but trying to make a point)

You might have 1000lbs payload but only 200 lbs on a axle before you are over your axle rating.

A good example is my DRW truck. It has the towing package but does not have the snow plow package. The front axle only has a few hundred lbs of extra capacity, while the rear has several thousand lbs of capacity.

Another problem towing with a 150/1500 truck. Go out west, climb a 11K pass and then go down the other side. You will be praying for a vehicle with a exhaust brake. If you are not turbo'ed realize you loose about 3-4% of your torque for each 1000' you climb.

What works in Mississippi is not enough in Colorado.

Scale your truck, understand GAWR, GVWR and GCWR, do your own math and buy enough truck.

Jim

Tags
tow