Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Manufacturers actually overstate the tow ratings. It is their biggest selling point. The max tow ratings are usually only possible with boat trailers or flat bed trailers because they do not require a 12 to 15 % tongue weight, as travel trailers do. They can get by with as little as 5% which is much easier to carry without going over the axle weight limit.

Travel trailers must have a higher weight on the tongue because the wind that hits the front of them actually lifts the front of the trailer reducing the weight on the tongue and also puts a greater strain on the engine and transmission.

You are way over the limit. It is not even close. You could get away with it for awhile but what happens when the trailer brakes get grease on them from a blown seal or the fuse blows and suddenly your truck has to try to control that monster? Good luck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #16

WEll RPJansky, at least treat you and your load to a good weight distributing hitch, it won't costs you that much but it sure will help in towing. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Old 02-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've never been too concerned about whether I can pull anything. I've always been concerned about how I can stop it.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #18

I never worry about stopping it. If I would I would have to stay home. I drive properly and defensively. No 25000 lbs unit will stop like a motorcycle and no 80000 lbs truck does neither. I know what it takes to stop my unit and drive accordingly.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
No all 2500's are SRW I was just making an example of the older trucks much lower payload and towing capacity. My point is that I've been in and around trucks since I was in diapers and I feel no way should you go out and buy a new 3/4ton truck to pull a 26ft trailer unless you WANT to or need to because you will be traveling a lot.

Years ago when a 2500 or 3500 only had a GCWR of 13,000lbs guys bought them and pulled 10,000lbs campers, racecar trailers etc without thinking twice about it, because there were no real viable medium duty options back then. Nobody died the trucks didn't fall apart. Most of those trucks are still around today as well as the people who pulled with them.

I really can not explain very well but that truck will do what you need it to do and more provided its in good shape. All of this following the GCWR, GVW, and GAWR is a new thing and when you get into the higher weights of a real long TT, a pin heavy fifth wheel, or a little car towing a hardside trailer, yes you need to be close to those numbers. But for a 26ft TT being pulled by yesterdays 2500 I would just go have fun. And like I said make sure everything else is up to snuff: Receiver, W/D, Tires, brake controller etc...
No I would not tow it with that truck.

All of the anecdotal advice about older trucks doing well is just that anecdotal. Basically the objective data on the subject does not exist. Just because somebody says they have done it for years does not make it right.

The truck is overloaded with the trailers curb weight. There are always those who claim to know more than the engineers who designed the vehicle and determined the specifications. Whose advice do you feel more comfortable with?

"Hey buddy, hold my beer and watch this"
Old 02-09-2015, 05:26 AM   #20

I you own the truck use it. Make sure you have plenty of pin weight. What kills is reducing the pin weight to suit the truck load.. A TT will not overload your rear tires.
I had a 2500 GM for 9 years and it was best with 3500 lbs in the box. Drove like a caddy with a 12000 lbs 5th wheel in tow. Never felt over loaded.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
No I would not tow it with that truck.

All of the anecdotal advice about older trucks doing well is just that anecdotal. Basically the objective data on the subject does not exist. Just because somebody says they have done it for years does not make it right.

The truck is overloaded with the trailers curb weight. There are always those who claim to know more than the engineers who designed the vehicle and determined the specifications. Whose advice do you feel more comfortable with?

"Hey buddy, hold my beer and watch this"
At the end of the day it's each to his own and different strokes for different folks. If the OP is new to trucks, trailers, and towing. They should side with your advise. If someone runs trucks and trailers for a living they mostly can govern themselves accordingly.

You can take a guy who can afford a 40ft toy hauler and a brand new f-450 whose has never towed a wheel barrel and he will be a much greater danger to everyone than the guy who has been towing basically forever who is a bit over his payload on a 15 year old 3/4 ton truck.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
His trailer is 4000 pounds over his trucks rating. Would you tow it with a 1/2 ton Yukon? That is what his truck is rated at, 7500 pounds. That is 3000 pounds less than an F150.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
You can take a guy who can afford a 40ft toy hauler and a brand new f-450 whose has never towed a wheel barrel and he will be a much greater danger to everyone than the guy who has been towing basically forever who is a bit over his payload on a 15 year old 3/4 ton truck.
Very stirring but have to disagree. It is all about attitude and sometimes luck.

Old folks are in the highest category of having accidents after young men.

When providing advice we have no knowledge of who we are providing the information to, how long they have driven, how old they are, what their driving skills are like and what experience they have.

In my experience the older experienced drivers were the ones assigned to teach the new drivers. They always counseled being on the safe side. If not the employer soon replaced them as trainers.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #24

i see many say this

I never worry about stopping it ... braking ...

i all ways say its not about stopping the load its more about keeping it stopped

i see the hill in your drive way would you feel ok with the fully load TT on the back and put it in park and hope it stays

what can 2 tires and a park pal in the trans hold back ..

so there well be many that says you can stop it just fine

but for some that day well come when you are on a 8% grand with a car crash down the hill and for hrs have to keep your foot on the brakes as you cant put it in park

there has been a hand full of runaway RVs this way
Old 02-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #25

Quote:
So I am inclined to agree with the more liberal views on towing capacity. I will be using the trailer only for occasional short trips and mainly traveling alone. As far as insurance - that would totally depend on the claim - there could be many situations where weight would not be an issue.
Good common sense. You have the combo now load it up and tell us how the rig handles.
The '97 2500 is the old C6P chassis with a 10.5" corporate rear axle. Due to springs tires and wheel GM rates it at 6084 RAWR. As 2500HD says you won't overload it with a TT.
Having used the C6P chassis trucks2500/3500 with the 350/454 pulling trailers for a living their one tough truck for working duty

The only down side can be the 255hp 350 engine performance in the big hills or out here in the flat lands fighting a 40 mph head wind. Just don't expect the old 350 to keep up with the diesel crowd or the new 375-400 hp smallblocks.

Great looking TT. Enjoy the rig.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #26

I was trying to look up your specific model to better see the specifications, will you post the full model number .. Forest river has about 4 26' units 2 with slides and one or two with out.. you have a slide so that makes it some what easier.. but it would be interesting to see the Forest River spec sheet on the trailer.

If your talking 7400 lbs dry and load it modestly you would proably be ok using a WD hitch... I don't much look at the total weights Im more interested in what the weight from the factory is and then how much I was going to carry... having almost 4,000 lbs of carry capacity is a bit much ... I'll bet you don't even bring 1,000 lbs with you.....

How about finding a local scale, load it up with what your going to carry on a trip and weigh it... then you really know the true weights and what you have to deal with... that is what I'd do.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #27

You're nowhere near my state of Pennsylvania, so I say go for it! 😳
Old 02-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #28

As you can see, there are some that would there are some that wont... tow it...I say get the real numbers, Load it up like you would to go camping, put the kids and the wife in the truck and take it down to the scales.. get the real numbers "As Loaded" then with the real weights find some back roads and see how you feel with it...

With the smaller engine... I"d take a pass.... Power is your friend and if you don't have enough to get out of your own way then you will make the decision on if you want to gamble with it...

Tags
tow, chevy