Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
you will be fine with either. tow in tow/haul mode. You will likely not see 6th gear and will notice downshifts up hills. but you will be fine.
I have to disagree. I owned a 2010 F150 Maxtow 3.73, 5.4. I towed a 31', 7200lb Loaded TT. You can't lock out any gears with the 09-10 Ford 6sp. The tranny wants to hunt around for gears and it will up shift to 6th all the time. All it takes is a change in wind direction or a small overpass and it will down shift to 5th, then 4th and back to 6th. On the flats it will hunt back n forth between 5th and 6th all day. In the mtns it will go between 4th and 5th and as soon as you crest a hill it goes to 6th. IMO it's a horrible tranny for towing. In 2011 they added the select shift mode. With that TT he could lock out 6th and stay in 5th or 4th in the mtns.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay845 View Post
I have a 2010 f150 4x4 Crewcab with a 5.4 and 3.55 gears.
Towing capacity = 9600 lbs

I am considering renting these 2 trailers:

2012 Trail Runner 25 OKS SLT
Length 28' 5"
Hitch Weight 595lbs
Dry Weight 5124 lbs
Gross Weight 6900 lbs
Cargo Weight 1776lbs

2010 Dutchmen Lite 28G-GS
Length 29' 9"
Hitch Weight 676 lbs
Dry Weight 5476 lbs
Gross Weight 7700 lbs
Cargo Capcity 2224 lbs

Can my truck handle each of these trailers?

Thanks
Jay
After owning a 2010 F150 Maxtow with the 5.4 3.73's and towing a 31' 7200lb TT I would say you'll be maxed out. The 3.55's will kill you on the hills as the 5.4 which is a little anemic compared to todays newer V8's will be turning 3000+ rpms at the 1st hill. In the mtns it will run between 2500-4000 most of the time.
Our TT had a TW of 900+/- and with all the stuff in the bed and just the wife and I we were maxed on payload and RAWR. You need to look at your trucks payload sticker thats on the driver side door. Thats the number you need to watch. Take that number and subtract you and whatever else you are putting in the truck from the number. Thats what you have left for the TT's TW. Since you have 3.55's you don't have Maxtow which gives you more payload. My payload was 1857lbs. Yours is around 1450lbs, since the Maxtow adds about 400lbs to payload.

Both those TT's will run about 6500lbs loaded if you add about 1000lbs of stuff. At 6500lbs the TW will be around 75-800lbs. That leaves you with 5-600lbs for payload.
In the end you will be pushing the truck a little but depending on how much you camp and where you drive will be the deal maker/breaker. Just watch the payload closely.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #17

I found this calculator to be helpful in answering the question "How heavy a trailer can I tow?"

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
you will be fine with either. tow in tow/haul mode. You will likely not see 6th gear and will notice downshifts up hills. but you will be fine.
The rule of thumb I have always used in towing is 1ft. lb. of torgue will tow 30 lb. of weight.

Example, Your truck specs. will tow 9600 lb. divided by 30 = 320 lb's of torgue.

Torgue in determined by the drive train of the tow vehicle.

Know weight of tow and torgue of the tow vehicle, then calculate. The result will then tell if you can tow the item.

This works on towing boats with cars, farm tractors towing farm equiptment, etc.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #19
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
The rule of thumb I have always used in towing is 1ft. lb. of torgue will tow 30 lb. of weight.

Example, Your truck specs. will tow 9600 lb. divided by 30 = 320 lb's of torgue.

Torgue in determined by the drive train of the tow vehicle.

Know weight of tow and torgue of the tow vehicle, then calculate. The result will then tell if you can tow the item.

This works on towing boats with cars, farm tractors towing farm equiptment, etc.
That may be good info for what a TV can tow but the way I see it tells you nothing about what that TV can control @ 60/70 mph with a 50 mph side wind for example.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
That's a very simple method to estimate tow rating. But tow rating tells you only how much weight you can pull without burning up something in the drivetrain. It doesn't tell you how much hitch weight you can haul without overloading the suspension of your tow vehicle.

Your formula says my '99.5 PowerStroke with 500 lb/ft torque could tow a trailer that grossed 15,000 pounds. Ford's fifth wheel tow rating was about 13,000 pounds, and that was severely overstated. In the real world, my 5er that grossed less than 8,000 pounds overloaded that tow vehicle.

So I would conclude that your formula, and manufacturers' tow ratings, are not very useful. You must also compare available unused payload capacity to the wet and loaded hitch weight of the trailer. That requires weighing the rig to determine actual wet and loaded weights.

The problem is that the tow rating, and your formula that estimates tow rating, ignores hitch weight. Most tow vehicles with single rear wheels can pull trailers that get close to the weight of the tow rating, but they cannot haul the hitch weight of a tandem-axle trailer that weighs anywhere close to that much.

When dealing with wagon-style farm trailers with no hitch weight, such as cotton trailers and grain trailers, your formula gives a decent estimate of the weight of the trailer your tow vehicle can move out of the field and onto the road then to the gin or elevator a few miles up the road. But not for a fifth-wheel RV trailer with 18% hitch weight towed with an SRW pickup.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote