Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Can my truck tow new 5 th wheel safely?

Ok we are up grading to a 5 th wheel. My truck is currently f 350 4x4, crew cab, srw, 3.73, 6.2 v8. This is where I can not figure it out-- GCWR is 12000 on web and ford book says. 19000. GVWR is 10800.

Looking at-----
Can this tow Jayco Eagle 31.5 fbhs --- hitch 1650
Dry. 8490
Gross. 11200
Ok what about pin weight ( Reese revolution), hitch weigh a Reese( not sure what size), truck loaded 2adults, 3 growing kids.
Will I be to heavy for this trailer and need to look at shorter lighter ones?

Thanks
Hollyrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 10,800# GVWR is the most the truck can weigh wet and loaded with 5th wheel pin weight in the bed. So you need to load up the gang, fill up with fuel and head to the scales and get total and axle weights. This is your laden weight. Add 150# for the 5th wheel hitch if you do not have one.

GVWR - loaded truck = max trailer pin weight.

What GCWR does your Ford manual list for the particular truck cab, engine and axle ration.

GCWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer weight (not brochure or dry weight).

With a trailer GVWR of 11,200#, your pin weight will be about 2200#.

So with your 10,800# truck GVWR and a pin weight of 2200#, your truck cannot weigh more than 8600# wet and loaded and be within GVWR ratings.

Once you find the GCWR, you can check the max trailer weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyrambler View Post
Ok we are up grading to a 5 th wheel. My truck is currently f 350 4x4, crew cab, srw, 3.73, 6.2 v8. This is where I can not figure it out-- GCWR is 12000 on web and ford book says. 19000. GVWR is 10800.
You're reading something wrong - probably confusing GCWR with tow rating. GCWR is 19,000. That's a real number and a real limit. When you cross the CAT scale, the combined weight of the truck and trailer should not exceed 19,000 pounds.

Your "tow rating" is 12,100. That's not a real number. It's an over estimated WAG assuming there is absolutely nothing in the truck but a skinny driver. You cannot tow a trailer that grosses 12,100 without exceeding the GVWR and GCWR of your tow vehicle, because your truck will have something in it besides a skinny driver.

Tow rating = GCWR minus the wet and loaded weight of your truck. So in order to tow a trailer that grosses 12,100 pounds, the wet and loaded truck would have to weigh only 6,900 pounds. Weigh your truck when it's ready for towing, including driver, passengers, tools, options such as bedliner or bedrug (or both which I have), 5er hitch, and a full tank of gas. You'll see it weighs a lot more than 6,900 pounds.

Quote:
Looking at-----
Dry. 8490
Gross. 11200
That hitch weight is the dry hitch weight. Your actual hitch weight will be closer to 1900 pounds. And ignore the dry trailer weight - nobody tows a dry trailer. Use the GVWR of the trailer as your expected wet and loaded trailer weight.

Quote:
You'll probably be very close to the limit if you load the trailer so it weighs 11,000 pounds. 19,000 GCWR minus 11,000 trailer = 8,000 max truck weight before you tie onto the trailer.

To double check, load the truck with everything that will be in it when towing - driver, passengers, pets, tools, 5er hitch, whatever. Go to a truck scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded rig. If it weighs more than 8,000 pounds, one fix is to change out the 3.73 ring gear and pinion for a 4.30 ratio. That will increase your GCWR by almost 3,000 pounds. The other option of course is to look for a lighter trailer.

If you're slightly overloaded over the GCWR of the truck, that's no disaster. It just means that you'll be the slowpoke in the right lane when climbing hills and mountain passes. Plus you'll have to pay close attention to your gauges when towing to be sure you don't allow something in the drivetrain to get too hot. Especially watch your tranny temp gauge and never allow it to get into the yellow zone. Ford's tranny temp gauge colors are misleading. Yellow means you're too hot, so back out of the go pedal, downshift, and look for a safe place to stop. Then elevate the idle to about 1,200 RPM and sit there until the gauge falls back into the green zone. Red means it's too late - you've probably already toasted your tranny.

Next subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR of the truck. The answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded.

10,800 GVWR minus 8,000 pound truck = 2,800 pounds max hitch weight. Your hitch weight should be around 1,900 pounds, so you should be well below the limit if you keep the weight of the wet and loaded truck down to 8,000 pounds.

So for your truck, GCWR is probably your limiter. A oversimplified rule of thumb is to subtract the GVWR from the GCWR and the answer is the most trailer you should try to tow. 19,000 minus 10,800 = 8,200 pounds. So if you limit your trailer weight to 8,200 pounds, you should never be overloaded. But that's oversimplified. In your case, your truck can probably tow a 10,000 pound 5er with no problem. 11,000 pound 5er means you'll have to be careful what you haul in the truck and the trailer if you don't want the CAT scale to show you're overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You asked he same question in your other thread in this forum.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/are-t...ml#post1448568

My answer changed slightly because in the other thread I assumed you had a diesel F-350, or at least a V-10. My bad, because Ford didn't offer the V-10 in the 2012 F-350. The weakling 6.2L V8 is a different answer. You'll have to pay attention to weights a lot more than if you had the more-powerful engine. But towing that trailer with your truck should still be doable if you don't load either the truck or trailer to near capacity.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:

Looking at-----
Dry. 8490
Gross. 11200
Ok what about pin weight ( Reese revolution), hitch weigh a Reese( not sure what size), truck loaded 2adults, 3 growing kids.

Thanks
To look at it a bit different, take the 8490 brochure weight and add 300lbs for shipping weight. 8740, now add 1400lbs for all your stuff (wife and I add 1000-1200lbs but you have kids so I added more). 8740+1400=10140lbs loaded. 10140x20%=2080lbs for pin. 10800-2080=8720lbs. 8720lbs is the max your truck can weigh before you hookup. I don't use the RV units GVW since it varies greatly, some have 2000,3000 or even 4000lb GVW. No one is going to load 3000lbs and probably not 2000lbs of stuff in a 5th wheel. Your not full timing either so your payload will always be lower than your units GVW. I've looked at 5'ers with 10500lb yellow sticker dry weights and 13,000+lb GVW's. My maxtow is 12,500. If I went with the GVW I would not beable to tow it. But if I go the with past information on what I load and that being in the 1000-1200lb range then the loaded 5'er will be around 11,700lbs which is in my range. Main thing is to find out what your truck weighs and find out what the 5'er weighs from the yellow shipping sticker. It looks like you could be over your trucks GCVWR by a few hundred lbs when all said and done.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

Hi. Wow I had no idea all the calculations I needed to do before buying a 5th wheel. Thanks to everyone, after finding out all the weights yes I am close to my gvcw. I will need to be more aware of my packing the 5th wheel. We also will not be traveling with a full tank of water. Thank you
Hollyrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi. Wow I had no idea all the calculations I needed to do before buying a 5th wheel. Thanks to everyone, after finding out all the weights yes I am close to my gvcw. I will need to be more aware of my packing the 5th wheel. We also will not be traveling with a full tank of water. Thank you
Buy the unit that will be the last one as you can always change that TV. I did it and got use to the weight and learned to drive properly. Every one usually end up trading the TV for a diesel when the use of the RV increases.
We are full-time and our stuff weights around 1000lbs. Partime it was closer to 200lbs.
Now tank load can be limited and added. We always travel with full fresh water.