Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #15

Open the drivers door.........

Yellow sticker lists the payload (cargo capacity)
What is your trucks?

That is the amount of weight that can be carried by your truck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You, Fuel, All Passengers/Pets, stuff in cab (in door pockets, console, floor, under seats, backpacks etc+), stuff in bed of truck, trailer hitch AND the tongue weight of trailer

Tongue weight 15% of total weight of trailer loaded 'camp ready' (packed with food, linen, pot/pans, dishes, towels, soap, condiments etc----everything that would be in it when going camping)

ADD up ALL of those weights and subtract from that yellow sticker payload number

Now that you have done the math.....

Go shopping for a trailer that will be a better towing fit vs the one you fell in love with due to bells/whistles (it's too heavy)

2 kinds of campers.......
Those that tow within trucks ratings
Those that justify why not to use trucks ratings

Simple math.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #16

Sharing the highways, Personal responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
That is interesting that this person made the comments in private. My guess is that the person who sent this did not want be the guy that says "forget the math and just go for it" in front of everyone. There are always a handful of folks that ignore specifications and weight and instead go with the idea that the professionals have no idea what they are talking about. They also assume that since "it pulled fine" they are safe and have proven everyone wrong. The truth is that anyone that pulls a trailer with that mentality is unsafe, putting themselves and those around them at risk. They also seem to assume they will never be in a crisis situation where the specifications are really going to matter. Further, if they ever get into an accident and hurt someone, other than their own family, a lawyer will be able to play the overloaded flag. Lastly, why in heck would anyone want to put that kind of stress on a vehicle not designed to pull the load? It will decrease the life of the tow vehicle.

What is most perplexing to me is that these folks feel that they should share their poor decision making skills by advising others to overload and make the same unsafe mistakes. Some going out of their way to do so.
Well stated Sir / Maam.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #17

Head over to the Ford Eco Boost website, those guys pull all sorts of crazy weights!!! And ironically being overloaded is not part of their discussions.

Good for the OP to listening to the reasonable posts around here. You are well on your way to a successful venture. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #18

My brother in law has a f150 with ecoboost and pulls a 34 ft puma at 7000 lbs and says it pulls just fine power wise with no sway but he complains how bouncy it is and wants to add a helper spring. Other than that he loves camping with his new camper. My camper is 34 ft 6500 lbs and I pull with a Chevy z71 with no problems also but we take our time with them when we travel. If I would have found this website before I bought I probably would have stayed around 28 ft and under 6000 lbs. we put a deposite on our camper before we bought ours and they said it was just to hold it and they even give our check back to us later. Maybe y'all can use the deposite on another trail or there.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Helper springs will not stop a TT from bouncing, nor any other vehicle. TT's need shocks to control bounce. The TT industry has cheated all TT owners because they have convinced the public that TT's do not need shocks because nobody is riding the the TT when it is being pulled. And it saves them a lot of $$$$.

TeJay
Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #20

This is true. ^^^^^. Trailers should definitely have shocks
smbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

My small TT, like most others, did not have shocks from the factory. But I added them after I got it home. I don't notice that it tows any better, but things in the kitchen stay where I put them much better. Of course, with my ProPride hitch, I can't expect it to tow any better just because of adding shocks.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure what package you have, but my 2014 CC 4x4 (6.5' bed) has a Max Tow package 11,100 tow rating, and a 1840 payload. There was a Heavy Duty Payload package in 2014 that had a 2310 payload, in the same model as mine. While I don't agree with everything the PM said, i do agree that you should do the numbers yourself, based on the actual weight and specs of your truck. Use the GVWR of your prospective trailer as a basis.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My truck, all loaded up weighs about 9000. My TT all loaded up weighs about 8000. I like it that the truck weighs more than what it is towing. Not a requirement, but I like it. When something bad happens in front of me I will have a better chance to avoid becoming part of the pile.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #24

We got our deposit back. Thank you for the guidance. Now we'll shop smart. The advice was priceless. God Bless.
Kenandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Can you

I have a 2013 F150 with the ecoboost 3.5 engine and the 3:73 rear end and the trailer tow package. We pull a 1984 Avion p30 vintage trailer, loaded weight is 8000 lbs, torque weight 800 lbs, equal i zer hitch. Tow rating of 11000. The trailer length is 30 ft. I am pushing max load for truck load and axle limit. the truck pulls the load find and handles well. On trips from the Texas to the N/W corner of Montana the truck has done great. The length & weight of the trailer you want I would not recommend, the tail is going to be able to wag the dog. A bigger truck or a smaller trailer, you want to be safe and enjoy the trip. You folks have to make the choice? gps
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenandlinda View Post
We got our deposit back. Thank you for the guidance. Now we'll shop smart. The advice was priceless. God Bless.
Glad to hear!

Now, take your time, find the "right" trailer and ENJOY!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you are learning about safe towing. The Escapees magazine has an excellent article on listening to people that do not have a clue and saying "My truck tows the trailer just Fine". It explains all of the terms and the proper approach to towing.

Look at the towing info here on the Smart Weight program from Escapees.
https://www.escapees.com/knowledge/smartweigh/downloads

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #28

I have a 2011 F150 3.5, 11300 lbs GTW, 2280 lbs payload. When I tow my carhauler at max GW (10,000 lbs) I have plenty of Margin. At max GTW tongue weight is 1200 lbs. WDH is 56 lbs ajd my weight is 195 lbs. At these weights I have 829 lbs of payload margin for other things. As another contributor stated run your own numbers and stay within the capacity limits.
Cminnie is offline   Reply With Quote