Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Can our F150 Pull 34' GVWR 9995 Trailer

We are new to the forum. Growing up as a child who went camping with my family, my husband and I wanted to do this for our son, who is now a teenager and our 2 dogs. We purchased a 2015 4x4 F150 ecoboost that can tow 10,700 lbs. We fell in love with Grand Design Reflection 34' that UVW is 7895 lbs. and GVWR 9995 lbs.

We get conflicting info. We are looking to purchase the Hensley Hitch and take lessons from RV Driving School.

Can we safely pull this trailer? We are going to remove the table and chairs to save on weight (estimating 200 lbs). Some suggest don't go over 8000 GVWR which is 75% of the maximum our car can pull so we are comfortable. Of course the dealership and Hensley Mfg says we will be fine. We are first time travel trailer family in 50's. We want to be safe. Are we going to be ok towing this? We appreciate any help to these newbies. God Bless.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ken and Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenandlinda View Post
Can we safely pull this trailer? ... We want to be safe. Are we going to be ok towing this?
Can you tow that wet and loaded trailer with your wet and loaded pickup without exceeding the payload capacity of your tow vehicle? No.

So it depends on your definition of "safe". My definition is that you don't exceed any of Ford's weight limits.

That 10,000+ pound tow rating is a myth. Your real world limiter as to how much trailer you can safely tow with an F-150 is the payload capacity available for hitch weight after you load the truck with all the people, pets, tools and any other weight you have in the truck. Your EcoBoost drivetrain can PULL a 10,000-pound trailer, but not without exceeding the payload capacity of your F-150.

Payload capacity available for hitch weight is the GVWR of the vehicle minus the wet and loaded weight of the vehicle. Divide that payload capacity available for hitch weight by 0.13, and the answer is the maximum GVWR of any TT you want to consider. It will be a lot less than 9,995 pounds.

My F-150 with EcoBoost drivetrain can easily pull a 10,000-pound trailer without overheating anything in the drivetrain. But I'm overloaded over the GVWR of my F-150 when towing my 22' TT that weighs less than 5,000 pounds when on the road.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #3

You will be overloaded. Remember, the question is not only if you can pull it, but can you tow comfortably and be able to stop. I would guess you will have a death grip on the wheel trying to use the setup you describe. Hills and wind will be an issue.

Good that you are taking the time and effort to ask. Best of luck
Old 08-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had a 2010 F-150 we only considered towing a TT in the range of 80% of the maximum Ford said we could tow. Of the three TT's that we had they all were in the 7,000 lb vicinity and we towed them and stopped them easily.

The newer F-150 with the turbo V-6 was rated at 10,500 lbs or more. Still wouldn't chance it. Better safe than sorry. It matters not what the salesman is trying to tell you common sense should enter into the equation.

Since you have or will have a TT look at your tire capacities. You will find that your TT tires are just barely rated to carry the TT weight. Why add another weak link into the equation by towing something that is over 80% of your max???

Our last TT was rated at 7,000 lbs. It came from the factory with two 3,000 lb axles. Now lets see two axles rated for 3,000 lbs so that's 6,000 lbs of axle capacity and I can carry 7,000 lbs. Oh yea I forgot there's the tongue weight of say 600 lb carried by the truck so now I'm only 400 lbs over my max capacity. Assuming I'm not overloaded in my TT I'm traveling down the road (IMHO) on the edge of destruction.

TT's have their place but a lot of folks have a lot of issues with the entry level or smaller units. There are some good ones out there but they are becoming more and more difficult to find.

TeJay
Old 08-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Ok, we haven't purchased it yet (put a $500 deposit down ) but this was a eye opening wake up call. The RV Trainer said this despite the dealership and Hensley mfg saying otherwise. We love the luxury feature (electric jacks, etc.), entertainment seating (cause I need to put my legs up sometimes) in the Grand Design. It's the first trailer we fell in love with. I guess we can't decide on a trailer and need to walk away and loose our deposit. Thank you for assisting us in making the right decision. We are disappointed but we need to find the right trailer for our vehicle. God Bless.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a MH before the TT. The TT had equalizer jacks. Well I thought they would actually jack up the TT because that's what we had before. Well they don't they just support it and since the TT was an, "ultralight" the frame was very thin and even having as many as 6 jacks under it it still bounced like a trampoline.

Some of the bigger units and 5th wheels do have lifting hydraulic jacks.

We were not happy and we went back to a MH.

TeJay
Old 08-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #7

Good call on not buying too much trailer, but I don't think you should lose your deposit.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #8

Thumbs up

That is very important information about the travel trailer electric jacks didn't help with the bounce. Thanks so much for that valuable info.

My husband and I agree, we shouldn't loose the deposit . They had us sign a non refundable deposit. We feel they mislead us by not telling us the truth and just trying to make a sale. It's better to loose a little then our lives cause we were mislead. We so appreciate everyone's helpful information. We should have done this sooner. Maybe one day we'll find the right travel trailer and get to meet the community in person. God Bless.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #9

It is unfortunate about the deposit. They are technically correct about you being able to tow the sub 10k TT because all they look at is tow rating. They do not take into account payload and the fact that the 10,700lb tow rating you have is based upon a low profile open cargo trailer with cinder blocks. If you can't get it back in the long run, there will be another trailer that comes along that is a bit safer to tow. Honestly the weight may not be loaded to over 9k which the ecoboost can tow and tow well. Ask Smokey, he has towed more than that but it was because he had to, if I remember the story correctly, and it was only once and it wasn't a TT. The problem is more so, to me, the length. Even with the Hensley that is just too much for a half ton and then on top of that add the weight and frontal area= unpleasant towing experience. Trust me when I say there is nothing worse than not enjoying a beautiful campsite because you're husband is mad about how it handled then yells at you because you maybe forgot something and then you yell at the kid for being a pain in the butt because, well let's face he's a teenager, and he kicks the dog, then the dog bites dad, and cycle starts over again.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #10

Off topic a bit- I think that's BS about the deposit. They are basically charging you for incorrect information. I'd raise a stink. They were trying to sell you a trailer that is too much for your truck. Either they don't know better (which is ignorance) or they do know better and chose not to tell you (which is shady and the most likely scenario). Either way, it's a stinking pile.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

That is funny. ( : We thought of going with an imagine 2600 that is GVW 6995 lbs and 29'8". I don't think that trailer will be big enough for all of us. Beside, they didn't have a floor model to see, just a brochure. It was VERY basic and didn't have the electric jacks. My husband is very disappointed. You are right, the purpose of camping is having fun and enjoying it.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #12

Being new to this forum and really appreciating everyone honesty and opinion we received a private message that stated as follows. We are not trying to expose someone other than understand why we would get a private message and not a posted message. We wonder if this is a camper or a dealer and maybe it is a camper and this is totally their opinion. We really appreciate everyone's honesty. This is helping us make the right decision so we can be safe. This is the first time we have heard this.

" saw your post about the camper you want and your truck. I saw all the folks giving you advice that you can't tow it with your truck. For what it's worth, I had a 2013 Ecoboost and towed my Jayco all over the place. We were at the limits and probably over. Our camper weighs 7050 empty and while it CAN weigh 9200, with 3 years under our belts we are at 8,300 all loaded up. The truck was rated for 9,200. Our limiter was the payload at only 1500. With the hitch and the family we were right there. But we were still a few hundred UNDER the GCWR for the truck. Your truck is the heavy duty truck and has more payload and towing ability. My buddy has the same truck and tows a similar trailer. No problems at all. Seriously. The guys here are helping but they tend to "derate" the manufacturer specs. You should do the math and make sure your truck is not overloaded but do real math, not the made up stuff they recommend. SmokeyWren is great and a source of knowledge. But in his mind ever
yone needs a semi to tow anything. I just wanted to share that because I see so many new campers discouraged when they are not driving an F350 dually to tow a pop up camper. Feel free to ask anything. I can help with the math. Take care!!

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/private.php

All the best,
iRV2 Forums"
Old 08-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #13

If you want to find out about your truck towing then go to f150ecoboost.net. they have a ton of info and threads on towing just about anything. I have a 13 ecoboost and tow a 26 foot trailer that's 7000 loaded. They can answer any question you have and are great people. Try it. A lot of pictures people towing big campers. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenandlinda View Post
Being new to this forum and really appreciating everyone honesty and opinion we received a private message that stated as follows. We are not trying to expose someone other than understand why we would get a private message and not a posted message. We wonder if this is a camper or a dealer and maybe it is a camper and this is totally their opinion. We really appreciate everyone's honesty. This is helping us make the right decision so we can be safe. This is the first time we have heard this.

" saw your post about the camper you want and your truck. I saw all the folks giving you advice that you can't tow it with your truck. For what it's worth, I had a 2013 Ecoboost and towed my Jayco all over the place. We were at the limits and probably over. Our camper weighs 7050 empty and while it CAN weigh 9200, with 3 years under our belts we are at 8,300 all loaded up. The truck was rated for 9,200. Our limiter was the payload at only 1500. With the hitch and the family we were right there. But we were still a few hundred UNDER the GCWR for the truck. Your truck is the heavy duty truck and has more payload and towing ability. My buddy has the same truck and tows a similar trailer. No problems at all. Seriously. The guys here are helping but they tend to "derate" the manufacturer specs. You should do the math and make sure your truck is not overloaded but do real math, not the made up stuff they recommend. SmokeyWren is great and a source of knowledge. But in his mind everyone needs a semi to tow anything. I just wanted to share that because I see so many new campers discouraged when they are not driving an F350 dually to tow a pop up camper. Feel free to ask anything. I can help with the math. Take care!!

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/private.php

All the best,
iRV2 Forums"

That is interesting that this person made the comments in private. My guess is that the person who sent this did not want be the guy that says "forget the math and just go for it" in front of everyone. There are always a handful of folks that ignore specifications and weight and instead go with the idea that the professionals have no idea what they are talking about. They also assume that since "it pulled fine" they are safe and have proven everyone wrong. The truth is that anyone that pulls a trailer with that mentality is unsafe, putting themselves and those around them at risk. They also seem to assume they will never be in a crisis situation where the specifications are really going to matter. Further, if they ever get into an accident and hurt someone, other than their own family, a lawyer will be able to play the overloaded flag. Lastly, why in heck would anyone want to put that kind of stress on a vehicle not designed to pull the load? It will decrease the life of the tow vehicle.

What is most perplexing to me is that these folks feel that they should share their poor decision making skills by advising others to overload and make the same unsafe mistakes. Some going out of their way to do so.