Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You are now going to blind oncoming traffic and the beam spread will be horrilble.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
You are now going to blind oncoming traffic and the beam spread will be horrilble.
Yep, there's a legal reason those light baffles are in there!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #17

Well, I got those baffles out, and it helped a little, but not much. A little rounder pattern, which I like, but definitely not blinding.

I notice that the bulbs have silver paint on the front 1/2" so that must act as some of that baffling. There is still no direct view of the bulb or filament. They are the more expensive Sylvania bulbs that you can get at Walmart or auto parts stores, but still just a stock-type halogen.

What helped more was I put about 3/8" worth of shims behind the bottom screw, and 1/4" behind the side screw. This brought the pattern up a little closer to where it is supposed to be, but still a little low. I don't want to shim anymore, because the headlights already don't fit flush against the fender, and more shims will pronounce this.

Not nearly high enough for others to flash at me, but high enough that the low beam actually perform a function, and the high beams are just a bit higher than where the low beams are supposed to be.

Might live with this for a while, but never buying "overseas" aftermarket parts again...

If I purchase again, I am looking at Spyder brand. Anzo has many negative reports of leaking into the housing when you go through a car wash. I have Spyderauto saved in my Favorites list, just in case.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #18

OK, got them adjusted not quite as high as the Dodge repair manual suggests, but high enough that the low beams actually show the road, and high beams light up EVERYTHING!!!

So on a test drive last night, I drove about 5 miles up the road, then flipped on the high beams, and passed two cars and nobody blinked at me.

Then I turned around in a driveway, and started to head back home, and immediately my radar detector starts going off. I left the high beams on, continued my drive, and the first car is TX DPS (highway boys) and he didn't blink me or anything. Passed about 10 more cars with my high beams on and not a single blink. So apparently, it isn't blinding anyone.

In fact, I might just drive with my high beams on most of the time unless I start getting blinked at.

My guess is that with all the REALLY bright headlights on the roads nowadays, my high beams are "just another set of bright lights" and nobody blinks anymore???
Old 02-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great idea, drive around with your high beams on!

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #20

Yep!

But only because my Highs are only as bright as everyone else's Lows.

Tags
ace, dodge, light, replace, replacement