Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I'm having trouble understanding this.

Weigh it when I take it home.
I can't take it home if I don't have a truck.
I don't know what truck to buy until I weigh it.
Use the GVWR of the RV. Take 20% of the GVWR to compute the pin weight that will be in the truck.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Use the GVWR of the RV. Take 20% of the GVWR to compute the pin weight that will be in the truck.
With this particular 5er, I think the GVWR is a pretty meaningless number. I can see adding 1000 lbs. to the dry weight. If I stretch and add 2000 lbs. to the dry weight, I'm still not within 3000 lbs. of the GWWR.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
With this particular 5er, I think the GVWR is a pretty meaningless number.
You've received good advice - it's your choice whether to heed it or not. If you size your tow vehicle by the trailer's GVWR, chances are you'll never find yourself overloaded; if you go by a meaningless "manufacturer's dry weight", who knows?? But again, it's your money and your choice....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #32

J Birder,
Help us a little more with the brand/model of 5er you are considering...with the Gross almost double the Dry, seems more of a spread than most.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
J Birder,
Help us a little more with the brand/model of 5er you are considering...with the Gross almost double the Dry, seems more of a spread than most.
Joe
It is the Palomino Puma 253-FBS. It does seem like a large carrying capacity. I don't understand why dry weight plus carrying capacity is slightly different from GVWR.

total dry weight 6910
pin dry weight 1026
carrying capacity 4226
GVWR 11,186
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did some digging and you will want to look into this deeper on your own.

It appears that you need a Class A or Class B license to travel through IL if your motorhome or truck and loaded trailer exceeds 16,000 -- of the loaded trailer exceeds 10,000 pounds.

I have hade to take a test for just like this in B.C. where I am from.
The DMV will not even let you take this test if they feel that your truck can't handle the 5th wheel, and trust me for licence reasons they will only look at the GVWR and GCVWR.

If you are picking this 5ver off a dealer they may not even allow you to tow it off the lot. this happend to a friend of mine when he went to pick up a camper and showed up in half ton truck. he even did his home work - he ordered his camper then went in to the truck dealer and said i need a truck to haul this much weight, the salesman said the half ton could do it so thats what he bought. When he went to pick up the camper the tech there refused to put it on the truck for him.

I would go check with your DMV office or some one at a truckdriving school and find out what the rules/laws are.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyranger View Post
I did some digging and you will want to look into this deeper on your own.

It appears that you need a Class A or Class B license to travel through IL if your motorhome or truck and loaded trailer exceeds 16,000 -- of the loaded trailer exceeds 10,000 pounds.
Almost all US-licensed drivers are covered during their interstate travels by the Driver License Agreement (formerly the Driver License Compact) that provides for reciprocity between the member states. In effect, if you're legally licensed in your home state, you're legal in Agreement member states through which you travel. Otherwise, we would have to carry multiple driver licenses - which one normally cannot do (e.g., I had to surrender my Ohio driver license when I applied for my Texas driver license.)

Rusty
Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I have already looked into that. The license agreement also extends to Canada as well, so if you're legally licensed in your home state, province or teritory, you're legal in Agreement member states through which you travel. However the first step is getting liceced in you home state, province or teritory in the first place. (which I'm sure is where he is from)

The next thing is for licence purposes is that your DMV or DOT are only looking at the Gross Weight Ratings. I had to get my house trailer endorsment because the GVWR of the trailer was 200lbs over the 4600kg/10100lbs limit ICBC chose as there standard.

Looked up that 5ver and its a nice looking unit by the way J Birder. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Rather than hijack this thread with an off-topic discussion of driver licensing, I would only suggest that one research the topic thoroughly for his/her home state and take appropriate steps. Although internet discussions are NOT legally authoritative sources, they can be informative (with both valid and invalid information), and there are many such threads dealing with driver licensing here on iRV2 - HERE is the latest active thread for those interested in that particular topic.

Rusty