Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #15

I also have a snugtop canopy on my truck. And after looking at all types of canopys this was the best. Fit and finish. And was the only one that had the glass rear door. Much nicer than the cheap frame style.

I Also ordered the front flip down glass which is a option to get. Nothing like having clean windows.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #16

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
It weighs less than 1/2 that of a fiberglass cover like a Leer.
Wish I'd thought of that back in the day when the 150 was used to haul a motorcycle. The LEER always required two people to lift off...until I devised a lift system on my garage ceiling.

But when we get a cap/canopy, weight won't be an issue other than the impact on GVWR, etc. Once it's mounted, it's staying on.

Thanks!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
I also have a snugtop canopy on my truck. And after looking at all types of canopys this was the best. Fit and finish. And was the only one that had the glass rear door. Much nicer than the cheap frame style.

I Also ordered the front flip down glass which is a option to get. Nothing like having clean windows.
Actually very concerned with fit and finish, nice to hear you're so pleased with the Snugtop. Many years in the fire service, so having a clean rig has become a habit...lol!

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post

Pricing is a bit of a consideration, interesting that you thought SnugTop was a better deal. Only dealer for Snug is a bit further distance, but not so far to discourage a close look. Need to spend more time looking at their website for configurations. I sort of prefer the up sloping models I've seen on LEER and ARE. Not overly concerned with bed access when hooked up, and the only time our pooch would be in the back is when a TT is not hooked up. But still worth thinking about.

Cab window definitely needs to be removable, and wouldn't consider a boot type installation. Not explored standard and optional features yet, but last thing I want would be smoked windows. Spent year in trucks with only visibility being mirrors, really appreciate unimpeded sight lines...

Thanks for your comments!
I put a SnugTop on our F250 in 2002 and I have one small paint chip on it. Because the F250 (2002) cab had a higher cab height it upped the cost, but there is more "stand up" room because of that. I ordered the flip down window (clear), the window was secured to the frame by two levers which fit into the aluminum frame. The aluminum broke and the window could not be secured. I replaced it (dealer helped me with SnugTop) and the aluminum is wearying thin so I have to use cardboard to keep it tight. I have had to adjust the rear window a couple of times & replace the led brake light. Be concerned about being able to open the tail gate when hooked up to your trailer, if you need to get something in the pickup bed, it is a lot easier to drop the tail gate then climb over it. If I raise the front of the trailer while hooked up, it may prevent me from opening the tail gate.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #19

Have you considered CTC century truck caps? From what I was told they come from the same factory as leer, I believe this to be true as the indentation for the emblem is the same shape and location as it is on a leer. I had a CTC on my f150 and really like the quality, finish and price. It was several hundred under leer, I don't remember exact numbers as it has been a while. I did like it, but got a new truck and want to be able to haul dirt or quads or maybe even a golf cart if I can break the wife down.
Meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I put a SnugTop on our F250 in 2002 and I have one small paint chip on it. Because the F250 (2002) cab had a higher cab height it upped the cost, but there is more "stand up" room because of that. I ordered the flip down window (clear), the window was secured to the frame by two levers which fit into the aluminum frame. The aluminum broke and the window could not be secured. I replaced it (dealer helped me with SnugTop) and the aluminum is wearying thin so I have to use cardboard to keep it tight. I have had to adjust the rear window a couple of times & replace the led brake light. Be concerned about being able to open the tail gate when hooked up to your trailer, if you need to get something in the pickup bed, it is a lot easier to drop the tail gate then climb over it. If I raise the front of the trailer while hooked up, it may prevent me from opening the tail gate.
Seems like your comments might lead to a dis-satisfaction with SnugTop? Or do you consider the flaws to be minor?

And the idea about PU bed access that a couple of folks have mentioned is something to consider. We don't intend to haul much gear in the bed while towing, but it is something to consider. And our 20 pound pooch will be riding in the back seat of the SuperCrew, at least according to my CFO.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck51 View Post
Have you considered CTC century truck caps? From what I was told they come from the same factory as leer, I believe this to be true as the indentation for the emblem is the same shape and location as it is on a leer. I had a CTC on my f150 and really like the quality, finish and price. It was several hundred under leer, I don't remember exact numbers as it has been a while. I did like it, but got a new truck and want to be able to haul dirt or quads or maybe even a golf cart if I can break the wife down.
As a matter of fact, never heard of the Century brand until now! As it turns out, the local LEER dealer also carries CTC. Time for some in person comparison shopping!

Thanks muchly for the heads up!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Seems like your comments might lead to a dis-satisfaction with SnugTop? Or do you consider the flaws to be minor?

And the idea about PU bed access that a couple of folks have mentioned is something to consider. We don't intend to haul much gear in the bed while towing, but it is something to consider. And our 20 pound pooch will be riding in the back seat of the SuperCrew, at least according to my CFO.

I guess it does sound like I am not happy with the SnugTop, just giving you my experience with the one I have. The paint chip is minor, the door adjustment, well I use it a lot so that might be part of it, the brake light going out, my luck I guess. The flip down window, poor quality latch system, the replacement much better, still one should not have to use card board to keep the latch from working loose. I like the rear glass window, it is heavier and when it is cold (COLD) the struts will not hold the window up. I am happy with the SnugTop, if I ever sell the truck, I would look at the Leer, but would not hesitate to buy another SnugTop.
We have a 20 lb dog, her travel accommodations are better then mine, no room for her in the bed, let me know how you are able to travel with an empty pick up bed as mine is always full. The camper shells that slop upwards towards the back but are practical for loading and getting into them, especially when you can not open the tail gate.

One thing not mentioned here is if the shell has a light, if it does, is it wired 12 volt or battery. My experience is the battery light is worthless.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I guess it does sound like I am not happy with the SnugTop, just giving you my experience with the one I have. The paint chip is minor, the door adjustment, well I use it a lot so that might be part of it, the brake light going out, my luck I guess. The flip down window, poor quality latch system, the replacement much better, still one should not have to use card board to keep the latch from working loose. I like the rear glass window, it is heavier and when it is cold (COLD) the struts will not hold the window up. I am happy with the SnugTop, if I ever sell the truck, I would look at the Leer, but would not hesitate to buy another SnugTop.
We have a 20 lb dog, her travel accommodations are better then mine, no room for her in the bed, let me know how you are able to travel with an empty pick up bed as mine is always full. The camper shells that slop upwards towards the back but are practical for loading and getting into them, especially when you can not open the tail gate.

One thing not mentioned here is if the shell has a light, if it does, is it wired 12 volt or battery. My experience is the battery light is worthless.

Thanks for the clarifications! Guess what it comes down too, is that no product is perfect. Ultimate question is one you've answered...would you buy another? Since the answer is yes, I'll still have SnugTop on my list of possibilities.

FWIW, our '98 150 was equipped with a LEER tonneau cover since the beginning. Other than being a bit heavy for this old dude, the quality and paintwork provide NO complaints. One of the reasons I'd prefer a canopy this time, is that my lady can't begin to open the tonneau, so perhaps the window section on a canopy would be a bit easier for her...lol.

Our camping trips for years have been with a 10' x 12' tent (NOT a tent trailer...a TENT!), so having a TT will be a real luxury. Hopefully we won't be filling up the truck bed.

Cheers!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #24

Truck caps

Our 1st truck was a Ford 150. We put a Leer fiberglass cap on it and drove the truck until the body fell apart and it was tired and would break down three times a week. DH was always reclamping the capdown to the truck. I leaked as it got older. Every so often you had to replace the back locks as the harsh weather would make them permanently freeze up. DH had to drill and fix with sheetmetal the hinge area on the back glass. Our second Ford F250 has an eight foot bed. We also added a High top Leer fiberglass cap. It is very heavy and requires four strong men to lift it off. The cap rubs the truck on the side rails. Several times we had to do body shop repainting with the cap off. It also leaks some. DH is always adjusting the inside clamps and the grey install tape squishes out and looks real bad. The worst part is that the cap is one inch too tall for the carwash. We have to find a hand car wash in the winter. The cap is not covered by our truck ins. We found this out when the window came partway out of the frame. We recently visited a Leer cap dealer and found out the new caps have a much improved bulb type seal. I don't think we want to have a cap on our next truck. DH wants one...so will see when the time comes. Caps are considered an add on and that is why our insurance won't cover it. Yet they will cover a full size SUV!!
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #25

I looked at the fiberglass caps and decided to buy an aluminum one. It was 1/3 the price, can be removed with 2 people pretty easily. It has been on my truck for almost 13 years and still looks like new. I bought it at a place in Burlington, Washington.

Super Hawk Canopy
1595 S Burlington Blvd, Burlington, WA 98233 2.37 mi
(360) 757-1881 Directions Map Website
http://superhawkcanopies.com/

Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprdtyf350 View Post
I looked at the fiberglass caps and decided to buy an aluminum one. It was 1/3 the price, can be removed with 2 people pretty easily. It has been on my truck for almost 13 years and still looks like new. I bought it at a place in Burlington, Washington.

Super Hawk Canopy
1595 S Burlington Blvd, Burlington, WA 98233 2.37 mi
(360) 757-1881 Directions Map Website
Super Hawk Canopies

Hmm...another option.

Got me to thinking about my Nevada days, when most of the folks I knew that had canopies on their trucks bought Caravan Tops. Steel framed, galvanized (painted) sheet steel skin, and usually with a boat rack option for the top. Some guys would move the top to a new truck when compatible. Really stout construction. Perhaps another option in addition to what you've suggested.

Thanks!

PS. Like the look of your canopy, that slight slope up looks great!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Our 1st truck was a Ford 150. We put a Leer fiberglass cap on it and drove the truck until the body fell apart and it was tired and would break down three times a week. DH was always reclamping the capdown to the truck. I leaked as it got older. Every so often you had to replace the back locks as the harsh weather would make them permanently freeze up. DH had to drill and fix with sheetmetal the hinge area on the back glass. Our second Ford F250 has an eight foot bed. We also added a High top Leer fiberglass cap. It is very heavy and requires four strong men to lift it off. The cap rubs the truck on the side rails. Several times we had to do body shop repainting with the cap off. It also leaks some. DH is always adjusting the inside clamps and the grey install tape squishes out and looks real bad. The worst part is that the cap is one inch too tall for the carwash. We have to find a hand car wash in the winter. The cap is not covered by our truck ins. We found this out when the window came partway out of the frame. We recently visited a Leer cap dealer and found out the new caps have a much improved bulb type seal. I don't think we want to have a cap on our next truck. DH wants one...so will see when the time comes. Caps are considered an add on and that is why our insurance won't cover it. Yet they will cover a full size SUV!!
Not too worried about weight as far as taking it off and on, once it's on, it's staying on. One advantage I have is access to a flat bed cargo trailer if needed to move something that won't easily fit in the truck bed. Sounds like you think the newer LEERs maybe be better than the earlier models. Or, at least, your DH thinks so.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Even though we've moved up in our search for a 250 instead of a 150, I know we have to pay attention!
Assuming a late-model (2011-up) Ford tow vehicle, skip the F-250 and go to the F-350 SRW. They look the same, they ride the same, they weigh within a few pounds of the same, the drivetrain is identical, but the F-350 SWR can haul 1,500 pounds more tongue weight than the F-250 without exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle. In other words, it's very easy to tie onto too much trailer for an F-250, but you can easily tow the heaviest TT with the F-350 SRW with no worry about being overloaded.

That's talking about a TT, not a 5er. 5ers have a lot more hitch weight, and the bigger 5ers require a dually, not an SRW, if you don't want to be overloaded when on the road.

And the actual cash buying price for a new one is only a few hundred dollars more for an identically-equipped F-350 SRW than for an F-250. If you're looking for a used one, there are a lot more F-250s for sale than F-350 SRWs. So your shopping spree will probably be a lot more intense to find the right used F-350 SRW. For a new one, plan ahead and order a brand new one with just exactly the options and colors you want.

Properly-equipped F-250 GVWR is 10,000 pounds. F-350 SRW is 11,500 pounds. For dragging a big TT, that's the difference between having to pay attention to tongue weights and not having to worry about tongue weights.

The typical wet and loaded 4x4 CrewCab will weigh around 9,000 pounds. For an F-250 that leaves only 1,000 pounds for max tongue weight. That's a TT with a GVWR of only 6,700 pounds. Nice RV trailer, but they make a bunch with GVWR over 6,700 pounds, and on up to 10,000 pounds or more. For those heavier TTs you need more than an F-250 to tow them without being overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford