Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #29

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Assuming a late-model (2011-up) Ford tow vehicle, skip the F-250 and go to the F-350 SRW. They look the same, they ride the same, they weigh within a few pounds of the same, the drivetrain is identical, but the F-350 SWR can haul 1,500 pounds more tongue weight than the F-250 without exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle. In other words, it's very easy to tie onto too much trailer for an F-250, but you can easily tow the heaviest TT with the F-350 SRW with no worry about being overloaded.

That's talking about a TT, not a 5er. 5ers have a lot more hitch weight, and the bigger 5ers require a dually, not an SRW, if you don't want to be overloaded when on the road.

And the actual cash buying price for a new one is only a few hundred dollars more for an identically-equipped F-350 SRW than for an F-250. If you're looking for a used one, there are a lot more F-250s for sale than F-350 SRWs. So your shopping spree will probably be a lot more intense to find the right used F-350 SRW. For a new one, plan ahead and order a brand new one with just exactly the options and colors you want.

Properly-equipped F-250 GVWR is 10,000 pounds. F-350 SRW is 11,500 pounds. For dragging a big TT, that's the difference between having to pay attention to tongue weights and not having to worry about tongue weights.

The typical wet and loaded 4x4 CrewCab will weigh around 9,000 pounds. For an F-250 that leaves only 1,000 pounds for max tongue weight. That's a TT with a GVWR of only 6,700 pounds. Nice RV trailer, but they make a bunch with GVWR over 6,700 pounds, and on up to 10,000 pounds or more. For those heavier TTs you need more than an F-250 to tow them without being overloaded.
Have you been reading my mind? LOL

As I've been playing with Ford's build/price web feature it was quick to see that the price difference between the 250 and 350 is only 900 smackers in our region. Once I made the "giant leap" (ha ha!) from considering a 250 over a 150, a little side shuffle to the 350 seems pretty darned easy.

So, SuperCrew XLT, 6.2 gasser, 4x2, 6.8' box is what we'll be shopping for when we finally get to that point. Others here continue to try convincing me that buying new is foolish. But, I want a new truck. Somebody has to provide a good used truck for the future markets! LOL

There are many Ford dealers in our region, so I may do some lot shopping, but in the end, will likely order exactly what I want. Very likely my last truck purchase, so want to get it right. Whatever that means!

Thanks for the advice, take care!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
Thanks for the clarifications! Guess what it comes down too, is that no product is perfect. Ultimate question is one you've answered...would you buy another? Since the answer is yes, I'll still have SnugTop on my list of possibilities.

FWIW, our '98 150 was equipped with a LEER tonneau cover since the beginning. Other than being a bit heavy for this old dude, the quality and paintwork provide NO complaints. One of the reasons I'd prefer a canopy this time, is that my lady can't begin to open the tonneau, so perhaps the window section on a canopy would be a bit easier for her...lol.

Our camping trips for years have been with a 10' x 12' tent (NOT a tent trailer...a TENT!), so having a TT will be a real luxury. Hopefully we won't be filling up the truck bed.

Cheers!
Our (as well as ours) kids best memories of vacations were tent camping, actually our families most memorable times were when we were tent camping. Our grandkids look for foreword to the annual trip to Fort Bragg, difference is we have a trailer and I have to "kick" them out of the trailer, different times but we all have a good time.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #31

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Assuming a late-model (2011-up) Ford tow vehicle, skip the F-250 and go to the F-350 SRW.....
I knew if I read enough of this thread someone would print the truth !
What SmokeyWren said for sure !

And if you insist on stayng SRW - get the 11.5K or more gvwr to give you some cushion !

You will LOVE the new trucks ! and if going large size on teh TT, would suggest DRW and the nice 6.7L deezle - it is a hose !

then you could come by my place and get teh nice propride hitch in my garage and be set
Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I knew if I read enough of this thread someone would print the truth !
What SmokeyWren said for sure !

And if you insist on stayng SRW - get the 11.5K or more gvwr to give you some cushion !

You will LOVE the new trucks ! and if going large size on teh TT, would suggest DRW and the nice 6.7L deezle - it is a hose !

then you could come by my place and get teh nice propride hitch in my garage and be set
Thanks for the generous offer!

We're staying with a mid-size TT, around a max 7500 GVWR, so no need for a dually. Besides, our newly designed house/garage only has space for an SRW, and even that will be a snug fit. NOT going back to the architect for "just one more round" of house revisions!

Now that our house sale is about to close, I can hardly wait to get the new TT and TV!

Cheers!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

ProPride hitch for TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
...then you could come by my place and get teh nice propride hitch in my garage and be set
You still have that? It disappeared from Craig's List. So I assumed you had sold it. (My offer still stands.)
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...So, SuperCrew XLT, 6.2 gasser, 4x2, 6.8' box is what we'll be shopping for when we finally get to that point. ...
There are many Ford dealers in our region, so I may do some lot shopping, but in the end, will likely order exactly what I want.
If you want better than XL trim, then you probably won't find a gasser in stock that has the options you want. XLT, maybe. Most nice CrewCabs in stock will have the diesel engine.

(Learn to speak SuperDuty. There is no SuperCrew in a SuperDuty - it's a CrewCab. The SuperCrew is an option on that dinky little F-150, but not on a SuperDuty. )
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #36

Quote:
If you want better than XL trim, then you probably won't find a gasser in stock that has the options you want. XLT, maybe. Most nice CrewCabs in stock will have the diesel engine.

(Learn to speak SuperDuty. There is no SuperCrew in a SuperDuty - it's a CrewCab. The SuperCrew is an option on that dinky little F-150, but not on a SuperDuty. )
I stand corrected kind sir...CrewCab it is!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #37

Hmm, crew cab? We went from a reg. cab to supercab last year. That adds about 20" to the wheelbase. Just that small amount made it noticeably harder to turn corners and manoever in and out of tight space like parking lots. Towing the TT takes more care approaching a corner to get around it without hitting a curb. Now I always head straight to a parking spot in a lot the farthest away so I can get in and out okay.

Curious if you've driven a crew cab before or test driven one? I know you're thinking of a 6.5' box, but it'd still longer than what we have. I can't imagine what it's like driving a crew cab dually with 8' box. Having space behind the seats now sure is a HUGE plus.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Hmm, crew cab? We went from a reg. cab to supercab last year. That adds about 20" to the wheelbase. Just that small amount made it noticeably harder to turn corners and manoever in and out of tight space like parking lots. Towing the TT takes more care approaching a corner to get around it without hitting a curb. Now I always head straight to a parking spot in a lot the farthest away so I can get in and out okay.

Curious if you've driven a crew cab before or test driven one? I know you're thinking of a 6.5' box, but it'd still longer than what we have. I can't imagine what it's like driving a crew cab dually with 8' box. Having space behind the seats now sure is a HUGE plus.
Yes, I have driven my BILs 350 CrewCab, and towed his 38' 5er.

Former tanker driver for ARCO, fire truck operator, etc, etc. Biggest thing driven was an International semi with a lowboy and a D7 Cat...talk about wide turns!

But thanks for your concern, I do appreciate it.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #39

Quote:
I stand corrected kind sir...CrewCab it is!
BTW, tend to agree that lot shopping may not find much in my price range. Prefer the XLT trim, but other than some stripped XL models, seems most the online dealer inventories have Lariats, King Ranch, and Platinum trims.

Methinks they like to up-sell aggressively to any customer who strolls through the door.

Most likely scenario is an order by me for MY truck.

Too busy now closing the sale of our home, getting a contractor and starting construction of the new abode. And moving to a rental house...

Cheers!

Tags
ford