Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Car trailer: which brand

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but here goes. I have decided to take the plunge and purchase an enclosed car trailer. I am trying to decide between a 20' Haulmark Transport trailer and a 20' Wells Cargo Road Force Trailer. Both are extremely similar, both are the mid level trailer for their brand and are within $800 of each other, the Wells Cargo being the more expensive unit. One significant difference is the Wells Cargo is a 7000lbs trailer while the Haulmark is a 10000lbs trailer. I can't imagine towing anything that heavy as my car only weighs about 3000lbs.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about them? Which one is better? That's the question I am really trying to find an answer to.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #2

Keep in mind about the 7000 and 10,000 pound ratings you must include the weight of the trailer in that. If the trailer weighs 2000-2500 pounds that leaves 4500-5000 left for cargo. I read your car weighs approx. 3000 but what if you upgrade car later and then maybe carry tools or such. Not that you will overload the lighter trailer but you will be close to the max. Just giving you something to think about.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #3

An enclosed trailer is a great upgrade over an open trailer; security for the car and your stuff, and the car stays clean. I have never met anyone who would go back to an open trailer after using an enclosed version (unfortunately, I only have room in my driveway for an open trailer).

Both companies make good products. Unless you can really predict a need for the higher carrying capacity, I would choose the lighter trailer. This is still a popular size, and could easily be sold if the need arises. I know that lots of people believe "Bigger is better", but I'm not sure this is not always appropriate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but here goes. I have decided to take the plunge and purchase an enclosed car trailer. I am trying to decide between a 20' Haulmark Transport trailer and a 20' Wells Cargo Road Force Trailer. Both are extremely similar, both are the mid level trailer for their brand and are within $800 of each other, the Wells Cargo being the more expensive unit. One significant difference is the Wells Cargo is a 7000lbs trailer while the Haulmark is a 10000lbs trailer. I can't imagine towing anything that heavy as my car only weighs about 3000lbs.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about them? Which one is better? That's the question I am really trying to find an answer to.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I found out today that haulmark owns wells cargo. The two trailers are the same except for GVW.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

What onechaddude said. 7000 GVWR will barely be enough for the car plus trailer weight. I would pay the bit extra to get the 10,000 pound GVWR. Brand doesn't matter. But get at least the mid-priced line. My CarMate 14' enclosed cargo trailer (motorcycle hauler) is top of the line with TorFlex axle/suspension, LED lights, and 7,000 pounds GVWR with ST225/75R15D tires (I replaced the tires with ST225/75R15E). Tows great with a Reese Strait-Line dual-cam WD hitch.

7,000 pounds GVWR requires only 205/75R14C tires, and that means you can count on tire trouble with a loaded trailer towed at highway speeds. Check the tire size that is on the trailer. Do not buy a cargo trailer with 14" tires/wheels.

Also look into Pace American enclosed car hauler or "race" trailer. With the mid-level Pursuit model, you have to go to 23'7" inside length to get GVWR of 9,500 pounds. With 19'7" inside length, you get 7,000 GVWR. But you'll probably enjoy that extra 4' of elbow room anyway.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I hear you about the tires. I looked at a flat deck with 4 ply bias ply tires. Really made the tires crappy and the trailer cheap
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Toad: Flat deck car trailer hauling a 1932 ford tudor sedan
So instead of the famous Deuce Coupe, you invested in a tudor? What were you thinking?

Also look into CM trailers. In Texas and Oklahoma and probably elsewhere, that's an excellent product with lots of owners.

"AL AUTO EXPRESS BP
Aluminum exterior with steel frame bumper pull auto trailer

Available Sizes
Bumper pull, 20' x 8' width, w/2-5200# axle, 6-hole 15" tires and wheels "

One distributor of CM trailers is
http://bigtextrailers.com/#
(scroll down to the bottom and click on "cargo trailers"
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
So instead of the famous Deuce Coupe, you invested in a tudor? What were you thinking?
Haha. Well the Tudor was less expensive and still a good investment. Plus I have two children....tough to bring them in a 3 or 5 window coupe. Yes I could have a rumble seat but then I'm limited to good weather.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brand doesn't really matter so much as how it is built. Nearly all of the good ones use Dexter axles or equivalent. Walls on 16 inch centers, triple channel tongue, 3/4 inch plywood floors, etc, etc. Just do some homework.

If you plan on having a car inside most of the time you tow it an escape side door is real handy if you have a wide car or may go to a wide car in the future.

If you are interested in one that is a couple of years old, my brother has a 20 footer for sale. Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with him.

Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #10

I believe it's just not the tires that are different but it's also the axles. The 10K trailer should come with six lug wheels while the the other may have five. Bigger brakes too on the 10K. Take it from someone who broke an axle last year on a lighter trailer, for a few bucks more go with the 10K,
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote