Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #15

My blown out Carlisle tires were made by Dunlop,
before they were bought out by Goodyear. I filed a claim with Goodyear. They shipped the carcuses for examination at their expense, and promptly reembursed me for the replacement tires,including mounting and balancing, and my estimate to repair the damage to the trailer.
Was very happy how they handled the transaction.
My present Cooper tires ave been excellent.

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #16

badwalk, You posted the tires are LT tires right? Did you have the sidewall maximum air pressure as required my Carlisle? Carlisle's website says if less than maximum pressure is used in ST tires the warranty is void. I don't know the speed rating for LT tires, but ST tires are speed rated for only 65MPH. Goodyear says the load must be reduced by 10% for every 1 MPH over that.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #17

Ray,
My tires were LT tires and I keep them inflated to 80 psi cold. That is what is stamped on the sidewall. I generally never tow above 60 to 62 mph. California speed limit is 55. I'm not in any hurry so no need to go fast.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #18

My blown Carlyles were made by Goodyear also, they were very cooperative in paying for the replacement tire, mounting, balancing and my estimate of damage repair

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #19

I also had a problem with Carlisle Radial Trail tires, 225/75R15, load range D. Tires were mounted in Aug '05 and had two blow outs in Aug '06, one left and one right side, which damaged the fender skirt and aft underside of the trailer on both sides. Mileage was 7,600 and 8,000. Tires always maintained at 65 PSI and trailer supported on jacks while in off season storage.
Called Carlisle and filed a claim. UPS came for tires, I sent invoices to them. They said tires were warrantable. They asked for damage repair estimates, narrative of what happened and photos, which I had taken on my digital camera before I removed the blowout to install the spare. They covered the repairs in total and I'm back on Goodyear Marathons. The Carlisle tires are a lot lighter in weight than the Goodyears.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Wow! I wish I had posted something a lot sooner but thought we were an isolated case. On our way to the 2004 IRV2 rally in Boerne, TX (I hope that's the right year), we had a blow out on one of our tires. The blow out was so bad it ripped our trailer wheel well, pulled the duct from the furnace out, ripped out all the wiring on that side and much more. We put a new tire back on and continued our trip to the rally. About 30 minutes east of San Antonio another tire blew (same side as the other) which didn't do additional damage but now we didn't have a spare. We were blessed in the spot we had the second blowout since there was an RV dealership across the feeder road from where we were. They didn't have just a tire, we had to buy a rim and tire. That didn't stop us. We bought it and continued to Boerne.

We decided on our way that if everything worked, we would stay and deal with the damages on Monday (which this was Sunday). Everything worked except the TV antenna, our refrigerator, and what looked to be the central heat (it was summer so that was ok for now).

On Monday morning we contacted our insurance company and explained to them that our trailer was only 6 months old and had very few miles on the tires. They suggested we contact the tire manufacturer. We did that. The tire company agreed to pay for new tires (we insisted on 5 new ones including the spare - not just 2), they paid for the tire/rim we had to purchase, and they paid for fixing the damage to our trailer. It took us being firm and persistent to get that out of them. It was actually Goodyear that did this for us.

Needless to say, we enjoyed what we could of the rally between all the running around we had to do with the tires but we missed some fun events there as well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Diesel
The Cliftons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #21

Wow, I didnt realize there was such a problem with these tires. I have Carlisles all the way around my TT with the exception of the one that blew out last year on the way to Bristol.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
cfd37buckeye

Try a search using "Carlisle", you'll get gobs of stuff to read about these tires, most of it derogatory.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #23

OK, now that I have read a bazillion pages about tires, I still have no clue what I need. Not to mention that I am paranoid about pulling the thing with those tires on it. The one that blew out on the way to Bristol last year was replaced with an 8 ply tire at wal-mart tire center. The tech there even acknowledged that and told me it was a better tire and that they wouldn't sell a 6 ply if they had them. It tore up the skirting around the wheel well, but that was it. the tire got pitched down there, so I would have nothing to send to them other than the receipt from the new one. Does anyone think it is worth my time to call them or am I beating a dead horse? The TT is a 2004, purchased in May of '03. So the tires would most certainly be out of warranty.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #24
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Considering your May 03 purchase date, I have a hunch those tires were built in 2002, if not earlier. You might want to take a look a the code dates located on the inward sidewalls to check.

Tires age and after they're 5 to 7 years old it's generally regarded that they should be replaced irregardless of the brand.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #25

We also had problems with Carlile tires on a 2000 Starcraft pu We had both tiers blow out and the tread seperated off the tire like a banna peal Well I called them and they sent me 2 brand new tires and a check for the mounting Give them a chanc to make it right by calling them good luck

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #26

I had 235/80/16 towmax/ power king tires on my 05 5er had two blowouts and one tire seperated within 1500 miles not sure who the manufacture of this tire is,but they are junk have switched to 235/85/16 BF Goodrich comercial ta,no problems yet.