Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #1

Left for my anual softball tournement in Las Vegas on Sept. 15th. While going up the Baker grade at 50 mph I had the left front tire explode on my fiver. The trailer came stock with Carlisle Radial Trail LT235/85R16E tires. This blow out did considerable damage to my fiver. Blew out the fender skirt and tore out the plumbing underneath. Replaced this tire with a Cooper SRM II. On the way back, the left rear tire blew the exact same way as the first. These tires had less than 1000 miles on them and were properly inflated to 80 psi cold prior to leaving.

I have filed a claim through Carlisle to pay for replacing all five tires with the Coopers. They tried to send me five new Carlisles. T9ld them I did not want them. Any one else experience problems with Carlisle tires and did they pay for any damages caused by their tires? Anyone else with similar experiences I would like to hear from.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #2

Left for my anual softball tournement in Las Vegas on Sept. 15th. While going up the Baker grade at 50 mph I had the left front tire explode on my fiver. The trailer came stock with Carlisle Radial Trail LT235/85R16E tires. This blow out did considerable damage to my fiver. Blew out the fender skirt and tore out the plumbing underneath. Replaced this tire with a Cooper SRM II. On the way back, the left rear tire blew the exact same way as the first. These tires had less than 1000 miles on them and were properly inflated to 80 psi cold prior to leaving.

I have filed a claim through Carlisle to pay for replacing all five tires with the Coopers. They tried to send me five new Carlisles. T9ld them I did not want them. Any one else experience problems with Carlisle tires and did they pay for any damages caused by their tires? Anyone else with similar experiences I would like to hear from.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck with the claim. I had a 2003 TT brand new with les that 600 miles on it that the same thing happened. I just happen to heading accross country to SC where there HQ is. I took one of the 5 tires I had to replace to them. The tires on my TT separated as if they were RETREADS. the finally paid for the damage and THOR also gave me 5 new tires(goodyear).
You should contact THOR and see what they can do for you. I would also replace ALL of the tires with the same but different brand of tire.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by baddwalk:
The trailer came stock with Carlisle Radial Trail LT235/85R16E tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I changed the LT235/85R-16E Goodyear Wrangler HTs that came on our previous 5th wheel over to LT235/85R-16E Michelin XPS Ribs - on my own dime. The peace of mind of an all-steel-construction commercial trailer-rated radial was worth it to me. The XPS Ribs ran noticeably cooler than the polyester-and-steel Wrangler HTs, and I've never heard of a failure of an XPS Rib from those who have changed over after experiencing problems with other brands.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #5

I did replace all five tires with the Cooper SRM II. I also did some checking in the NHTSA web site and saw alot of defect claims filed against Carlisle on just about most all of their tires due to sudden blowouts. I will be sending all of my information over to them in a few days so I guess I will wait and see waht happens.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
While pulling my sisters 2003 38"TT with less than 500 miles on it to the dealer for service (about 250 miles) this past summer, I blew the first carlisle out. Put on the spare (a Titan)and Carlisle shipped a tire overnight to the dealer as a replacement. After service at the dealear was completed, I was pulling the trailer back to my Sister and blew another one out about 30 miles from the dealer. Put the spare on but it being Sat could not get anyone on the phone at Carlisle so stopped into the next Tire Company I came to and they put on a goodyear. Then drove on about another 100 miles and the third Carlisle blew out. Stopped at the next Tire Dealer I found but the were closing and couln't help me, so continued on without a spare just hoping I could make it to my Sister's. 18 miles out in the middle of nowhere the 4th Carlisle blew out. It was late Sat night by then and all tire places were closed. I unhitched and left the trailer and drove back about 25 miles to the last town I had past and found a Sam's Club but the tire department was closed. The tire department manager was still in the store and after relating my woes to him he agreed to sell and mount a tire for me but he had no trailer tires so I had to put a like size LT tire on. I will be eternally grateful to that Sam's Club Store for helping me even after being closed.

I finally got my Sisers trailer to her very late Sat night. but I still had 1 blown out tire. I got it replaced later out of pocket with a Titan.

After calling Carlisle on Monday thet agreeed to reimburse me for what I had spent on the tires, but not for any mounting etc. They sent UPS to pick up the old tires and after about 6 weeks I got a check from them. On all these tires the thread had separated from the carcass. Thank goodness not oneof them damaged the trailer.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #7

lots of carlisle problems,

i have had many come into me with damadge.

i can not believe thay still put the dam things on.

i wont run anthing on my stuff but the xps rib michelin in 16"

these things wear like iron and they have a way better rolling resistance over almost any tire out there , so you get better milege,
and they hold the road so much better and they dont deflect as bad when backing up and manuvering and they stay round and in ballence.

i have the same tire on my truck and my trailers,
in fact i almost have the same wheel on all my stuff now,
that way you will always have two spares , if you need to loan one out to somebody,

since i and several of my buddys have been using this tire we have all not ever needed a spare,
the thing is that good !!

any body that comes in with a new trailer i make them get 7 new wheels and tires and put real 16's with xps rib on or they cant go on trips with us ,

i am so tired of one guy blowing 3 or 4 carlisles on one race weekend ,
its stupid !
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #8

Today I received word from Carlisle tires. They are sending me a check to cover the repair cost to my fiver and to reimburse me for the five tires I purchased. I am satisfied with this outcome. Although their tires suck, I do have to say that their customer service in handling my claim was excellent. Hopefully I will receive the check in a few weeks.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 AM   #9

Baddwalk: I have had similar problems to what you have described, but with Goodyear Marathons. Out of frustration and the recomendation of a local tire dealer I have replaced the Goodyears with Carlisles, on both my race trailer and 5th wheel. So far they have been problem free. (2 years on the Race Trailer and 1 on the 5th wheel.) I would love to put 16" xps on my trailers but they won't fit, so my tire choices are limited. Reading your post makes me wonder if the blow outs are from a bad run, or if this problem is on all 15 inch trailer tires?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:20 PM   #10

Baddwalk, how did you get Carlisle to settle. I bought a used 2003 with what looked like good tires, no cracks, etc. but had three blow on the last trip of 1000 miles. I had checked air pressure cold and they were all at max pressure. I called Carlisle and they told me that Goodyear made that specific tire and to go to them. Any suggestions?
Mostanything
Old 10-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #11

Mostanything,
I would have to say that I was lucky to start with. I called Mindy at customer service and started the claim. I had to sent them the tires, a copy of my purchase order, all reciepts and estimates as well as a writen statements as to what happened with pictures. They wanted to ship me five new tires but I told them that I did not want there tires and had already replaced them. My fiver is only a year old and I had two identical blow outs. I think that may have played a part in it. When I wrote my statement, I did word it in the form of a demand letter. I was prepared to file a small claims action and had my ducks all lined up. Carlisle was very good about handling this claim. I dont know of other peoples experiences with them.

As far as your Carlisles being manufactured by Goodyear, I would be telling them that they were sold with the Carlisle name on them so it is their problem. They can subrogate a claim against Goodyear. If you have to go after a tire company, make sure that you have pictures of everything. Also have an independant tire shop look at the tires and see if they can identify any reasons for blow outs. You do have to keep the tires because the manufacturer will want them back to inspect them.

TQ 27,
I had 16" tires and they simply failed. I reasearched the NHSTA web site and found alot of complaints (product safety) claimes filed for Carlisle tires. It really did not matter what size they were because the calimes were for tires of all sizes manufactured by Carlisle. I personally will never put their tires on a trailer again.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #12

Last year I experienced a tire blow out on my 5th wheel going to Mass. I figured it was from a road defect as the road was being resurfaced. This year July 30, 06 I was enroute to Lake George New York when I heard a loud explosion like noise and found that the pass. side rear tire had blown (carlisle-same as the first). Tire was changed and we moved on, saving the tire. On our way home from vacation ditto only this time two tires at the same time on different sides. ONe blew on the drivers side taking all my wiring out from under neath and the tire on the other side lost all its tread causing damage the wheel well and skirting. 503.00 dollars later (New Jersey State Highway repaired and replaced the tires) I am driving to a storage lot as it is not safe to drive due to no brakes or lights. I have sent the tires back to Carlisle and hopefully they will take care of my tires and damage, but from other rvers I am not sure. We need to band together and do something about this severe problem before a fellow RVer loses his or someones life.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SuperGewl:
Good luck with the claim. I had a 2003 TT brand new with les that 600 miles on it that the same thing happened. I just happen to heading accross country to SC where there HQ is. I took one of the 5 tires I had to replace to them. The tires on my TT separated as if they were RETREADS. the finally paid for the damage and THOR also gave me 5 new tires(goodyear).
You should contact THOR and see what they can do for you. I would also replace ALL of the tires with the same but different brand of tire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I wanted to ask you another questions do you like the superglide.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by baddwalk:
Today I received word from Carlisle tires. They are sending me a check to cover the repair cost to my fiver and to reimburse me for the five tires I purchased. I am satisfied with this outcome. Although their tires suck, I do have to say that their customer service in handling my claim was excellent. Hopefully I will receive the check in a few weeks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much damage was done to your 5er. I am hoping that I have the same luck