Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Cautionary Tale

This is not really a rant ,rather, it's my duty to prevent others from going down this road. We have been a Chrysler family since the late 30s, in fact I've been driving Chrysler products from when I first got my drivers license. I'm retired now.

The truck is '08 Ram 3500, 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, with the G-56 Mercedes-Benz manual transmission. The truck had it's expected problems, a front end without greaseable joints, but they've been doing that since the 60s. With a solid axel and worn joints you get Death Wobble. A clutch that can't take any grunt, old 4x4ers always changed their clutches, and so I find, so do RVers.

It was the transmission and the factory warranty response is why I suggest you get an Allison. The truck was a lease return, and first owner was pretty rough on 3rd synchromesh. It has pathetic synchromesh, you have to count three steamboats between gears, and he tried to shift it quickly. When I had the clutch changed to a South Bend, I asked them to fix the tranny. The parts are so expensive from Mercedes that it's much cheaper to just change out the tranny to a rebuilt.

Well the rebuilt was howling after 18 months, and 5th gear synchromesh gave up on the trip from Arizona. Bum Rebuilt, as I have been driving stick shifts since I was 11,and I'm 66. The TT is only 20 footer. I took it back to the shop, the supplier of the rebuilt said it's past the 12 months. The Canadian quotes for trannies were now $7,000 for a rebuilt and $11,000 for a Mopar remanufactured. I'm retired, I'm on pension. On to the 'net,High Gear out of TN quoted $2,200 for a rebuilt and $4,000 for a Mopar with a 3year warranty. I imported the Mopar and had the shop install. This one from get go, had no working synchromesh in 2nd. OK, since it was bought in States, I'll get the warranty at a Dodge dealer across the border in Bellingham.

Here is very good reason to avoid Ram. Nathan from Mopar Powertrain cancelled the warranty because the tranny was installed in Canada. It just looks like they were looking to avoid warranty pay outs. So what happens to you if your Mopar 6sp auto replacement is bad ? And they are unproven trannies.

Go with the Allison, they have worked the bugs out. You can guess what I think of the G-56 manual.

If I could afford it, I would trade this truck in on a Chevy. But I can't, so the service manager at the dealer Dodge recommended a good transmission shop that worked on manuals.

After the treatment Mopar has given me, there is no way I'm buying another Chrysler product. At my age that's a pretty idle threat, though. But I can warn you about a company that doesn't stand behind their products.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #2

Allison? Think you'd have to switch to GM to get that one...

L.C.Gray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Allison fits on many engines... Does not fit Ford,, But it fits GM, Cummins, and more....Just do not know if it fits his engine...

Adapt=a=kit

Makes engine A and Transmission B play nice together.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

If you still have problems you might consider a Jasper remanufactured transmission out of Jasper, Indiana.
Jasper Transmissions

I just bought a 2002 Dodge Cummins automatic and asked about tranny replacement cost from my mechanic who is a Jasper dealer since they are known to have problems. He thought about $1800 for the transmission from Jasper but he did not look it up. Installation was about $350. He told me Jasper fixes all the known bugs in there reman transmissions before sending them out.

Mike
Old 04-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #5

Dodge 4sp auto

Our local prices for the Dodge 4sp auto, $2100 for to the same specs as factory or $4800 if you wanted it to last. The Ford of that vintage was $9500. I had paid $4000 for the POS rebuilt. Diesels and trannies. That's why I made the mistake of going with a manual in first place.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtrac View Post
This is not really a rant ,rather, it's my duty to prevent others from going down this road. We have been a Chrysler family since the late 30s, in fact I've been driving Chrysler products from when I first got my drivers license. I'm retired now.

The truck is '08 Ram 3500, 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, with the G-56 Mercedes-Benz manual transmission. The truck had it's expected problems, a front end without greaseable joints, but they've been doing that since the 60s. With a solid axel and worn joints you get Death Wobble. A clutch that can't take any grunt, old 4x4ers always changed their clutches, and so I find, so do RVers.

It was the transmission and the factory warranty response is why I suggest you get an Allison. The truck was a lease return, and first owner was pretty rough on 3rd synchromesh. It has pathetic synchromesh, you have to count three steamboats between gears, and he tried to shift it quickly. When I had the clutch changed to a South Bend, I asked them to fix the tranny. The parts are so expensive from Mercedes that it's much cheaper to just change out the tranny to a rebuilt.

Well the rebuilt was howling after 18 months, and 5th gear synchromesh gave up on the trip from Arizona. Bum Rebuilt, as I have been driving stick shifts since I was 11,and I'm 66. The TT is only 20 footer. I took it back to the shop, the supplier of the rebuilt said it's past the 12 months. The Canadian quotes for trannies were now $7,000 for a rebuilt and $11,000 for a Mopar remanufactured. I'm retired, I'm on pension. On to the 'net,High Gear out of TN quoted $2,200 for a rebuilt and $4,000 for a Mopar with a 3year warranty. I imported the Mopar and had the shop install. This one from get go, had no working synchromesh in 2nd. OK, since it was bought in States, I'll get the warranty at a Dodge dealer across the border in Bellingham.

Here is very good reason to avoid Ram. Nathan from Mopar Powertrain cancelled the warranty because the tranny was installed in Canada. It just looks like they were looking to avoid warranty pay outs. So what happens to you if your Mopar 6sp auto replacement is bad ? And they are unproven trannies.

Go with the Allison, they have worked the bugs out. You can guess what I think of the G-56 manual.

If I could afford it, I would trade this truck in on a Chevy. But I can't, so the service manager at the dealer Dodge recommended a good transmission shop that worked on manuals.

After the treatment Mopar has given me, there is no way I'm buying another Chrysler product. At my age that's a pretty idle threat, though. But I can warn you about a company that doesn't stand behind their products.

Let me get this straight! You bought a used 2008 Ram truck that was returned after a lease; correct?

Now you are bad mouthing Ram vehicles because someone other than you miss-treated the transmission and you want Ram warranty on this?

I have a 2008 Ram 2500 Mega cab with the 68RFE auto and I am running 60HP/120lb-ft over stock with this transmission. I pull a 11.5K 5er and I am upgrading to a Cedar Creek 34RL that will weigh close to 13K when done. If I have any issues with this arrangement it is on me not Chrysler. The truck has been out of warranty for over 5 years just like your's and it is my responsibility not Chrysler. Sorry I just do not understand people!

I am also retired and have been since Jan 2009.

Jim W.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

It's this reason why gm and ford no longer offer a manual tranny. Those clutches and gears just can't stand the torque of a diesel. Especially when the first owner (or lessor in this case) is hard on the clutch and tranny.

Chad
Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
And yet they can make manual trans for over the road commercial trucks and the for 100's of thousands of miles.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

The issue is the "new" reman transmission from Mopar Powertrain. Understand, Sh** Happens. So when the shop phoned and told me the there was No 2nd gear synchromesh. Ok. When I bought it I was told there was a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty good for United States and Canada from Chrysler (Mopar). Since I live on the border, I thought it would be less hassle if I got the warranty done in the States. When Mopar found out I had the installation done in Canada, they cancelled the warranty. They sure stand behind their product, don't they? Any excuse to avoid a payout.

Who is Mopar ? Will they stand behind their Genuine Morpar Powertrain parts if you need them? Not if they can find a loop hole or make one up!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #10

Seems this story is being peddled on at least one other forum. Not much sympathy over there..

Why not have the installer do the warranty fix? Sounds like gray market fiasco, but what is it with all the bad trannies?

I doubt that anyone is going to avoid Ram based on this rant. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #11

Troll?
Old 04-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

Troll, no

The head of Home Depot in Canada told a story of the difference between Canadian and American consumers . An American get's a bad deal, he'll shout and rant at you ,but will come back the next day. A Canadian won't say anything, but will tell 20 of his friends and never come back.

The Canadian response has been very a muted, "I'll take note that"

BTW Dodge in Canada owns the 3/4, 1 ton market.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #13

Was this an abused lease return?
Old 04-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #14

It didn't look abused, it was just a couple of years old. When the numbers are added up, they come pretty close to new. There is a lesson there.

The company I purchased the tranny from has come through, good people High Gear.